• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, a cautious tale for art collectors re Michael Golden

78 posts in this topic

thru his agent,Renee Witterstaetter, i commissioned a piece from Michael Golden last October.i was promised in writing a delivery date of a month and a half.Since then ive received another 4 promised delivery dates all of which have failed to materialise.Since finding out that there was a lot of us in the same boat,a few of us got together and as a united front we were all given firm promises of a delivery date.my art came today.to say im annoyed is an understatement.This cost me $537 . . . (and he cant even spell virtue)

i phoned renee today, who got quite heated,stating she hadnt seen the art as Golden had shipped it himself.Its her signature on the customs declaration !

any thoughts or comments on this? is there anything i can do to get my money back?

5x8fhar.jpg

I've heard this same type of stuff happening to other board members. I have actually not heard anything GOOD about the quality of his sketches. I think that is a good conventions sketch, but not a $500+ commission. I would be pretty angry. I'd continue to call the agent until I got my money back. If that doesn't work find Golden at a convention. He goes to a lot of them.

Hey Gerry

I saw your post here and on the Byrne board. I also noticed this scan you posted there:

2007-07-27_141231_customsdeclarationsmaller.jpg

I know you posted it as proof that Renee mailed the piece but there is something you might be overlooking.

This is an official document of the US Government. The signature at the bottom denotes that the sender and signer attests that the information given is true and correct.

They called this a "document" and assigned a $0 value to it.

Just wanted to call your attention to that.

C

This is totally unacceptable and unprofessional, and I can't believe Golden decided to show you such a lack of respect. We all know that artists sometimes can take much longer than promised to deliver, but when they do, there really is no justification for showing Dr Strange making a gesture and saying "Patience is a virtue"...

I really hope people take notice and, while I think a lot of us agree that he has tremendous talent, we show him that he's not above anyone else and should treat us, his customers, with respect...

I am very disappointed, and wish you good luck!

Alberto

Golden's art is one of my favorites, thought that seeing the long red hair in a pony tail Golden yesterday was a neat experience after appreciating his work since I started collecting and seeing Avengers #annual 10. This is very disappointing to hear, perhaps with all this bad news will slow his sales of his new book he's pushing at SD.

any thoughts or comments on this? is there anything i can do to get my money back?

Personally speaking, I'd get together with the others who were scammed by this POS and contact a lawyer. He obviously didn't deliver on his end of the contract, and I'm certain he wouldn't like the extra publicity.

My 2c

Perhaps this is a joke on Goldens part while he finishes the real commision for you... hm

If not then I would be totally peeved at recieving what you did...hopefully all turns out well for you... :wishluck:

Hopefully ArAich is correct, because that's the only way I wouldn't be seriously pissed off about that piece. $500 for that is a spooning rip-off. You need to contact his agent immediately. If that's the final piece and it was $500, you need a refund immediately.

Though it may be self-explanatory looking at the piece I have to ask, you simply asked for Golden to create a Strange piece on his own accord ? Or did you request Strange in a certain pose/caption ?

I know whenever I commission a piece of art I always mention "Please don't make the piece derogatory and insulting to me personally" because, hey, almost all artists will assume that their patron WANTS to be insulted....and spelling errors within the insult are a must (PLEASE!) :golfclap:

C

A friend of mine sent me your posting from the Statueforum site.

Very unprofessional of Golden, and his agent. That kind of immaturity

gives all artist' a black eye. If you were to commission me, I can

assure you that would not happen.

Keep at them, and keep posting on other sites. This kind of idiocy

needs to stop.

C

Not to get into minutiae and legalize but a document requires writing and there are words on the paper; just because it has a picture of a superhero doesn't make it art. Words help it qualify as a document. And value of this stuff is very flexible, a value of $0 isn't out of line. Gerry may have paid $500 but to me, because I would never buy it, it's worth $0. I have a sketch in my collection that gets a very similar response from people. I paid a superstar Brit $500 for a sketch at last years SDCC and people tell they wouldn't pay $50 for it. Sure, Uncle Sam may disagree but he's just a made up guy anyway.

Robert

C

Not to get into minutiae and legalize but a document requires writing and there are words on the paper; just because it has a picture of a superhero doesn't make it art. Words help it qualify as a document. And value of this stuff is very flexible, a value of $0 isn't out of line. Gerry may have paid $500 but to me, because I would never buy it, it's worth $0. I have a sketch in my collection that gets a very similar response from people. I paid a superstar Brit $500 for a sketch at last years SDCC and people tell they wouldn't pay $50 for it. Sure, Uncle Sam may disagree but he's just a made up guy anyway.

Robert

Not to take this OT, but he paid $500 for it so that is the value. Future value would not matter and yours or my opinion of the piece would not matter. Basically, the mailer defrauded by listing it this way. This was just a way to avoid paying customs, nothing more.

I know I for one will now refuse to purchase anything with Golden's name on it. I just got the Modern Masters book and wish I hadn't. This guy doesn't need any support from his fans obviously.

This is just horrible.

Kudos to John Byrne for stepping up and offering Jerry some art worth his 500.00 for absolutely nothing. Now that was a class act.