• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, a cautious tale for art collectors re Michael Golden

78 posts in this topic

As some of you know, there has been a discussion over recent weeks about some art commissions, between on the one hand, Michael Golden (artist); and on the other hand, Gerry Turnbull and three other art collectors. All parties involved have now come to an amicable resolution for all concerned...

Geez, Gerry, this sounds like a prepared statement by a lawyer!

I truly hope that you are indeed satisfied with the outcome. And I mean that. This had to be just a maddening experience.

I wasn't in your shoes, but I know that I wouldn't be satisfied keeping the 'sketch' + partial refund or with a new commission. I'd want my full $$ back & never to deal with Golden/Renee again.

And in fact, that's just what I'll do. No cash from my pocket will ever pass into their hands again.

Gerry, man you got racked in the scrotum real good. I just can't believe an artist of such reputation who is known all over the community would after coming through write patience is a virtue. Then he misspelled virtue! Once your left nut retracts a little, keep those calls flyin' to that babe and maybe she'll cough up some dough or send you a better piece.

jeez sorry to hear bro :sorry:

I would file charges and/or anything else possible and then offer to drop the issue if I get a commission to my satisfaction. 4 years is just BS. So is getting a krapp sketch that says patience is a virue

thru his agent,Renee Witterstaetter, i commissioned a piece from Michael Golden last October.i was promised in writing a delivery date of a month and a half.Since then ive received another 4 promised delivery dates all of which have failed to materialise.Since finding out that there was a lot of us in the same boat,a few of us got together and as a united front we were all given firm promises of a delivery date.my art came today.to say im annoyed is an understatement.This cost me $537 . . . (and he cant even spell virtue)

i phoned renee today, who got quite heated,stating she hadnt seen the art as Golden had shipped it himself.Its her signature on the customs declaration !

any thoughts or comments on this? is there anything i can do to get my money back?

5x8fhar.jpg

I just found this thread and consider Michael Golden's behavior ridiculous.

What would have been really cool is if you'd made such a stink about this that it ended up a viral news story. Then, via its notoriety, you could sell the crappy artwork at a profit.

Actually, Michael Golden or his agent should have begged you to sell this back to them for $1,000 with the promise that you'd keep quiet about the whole thing.

What would have been really cool is if you'd made such a stink about this that it ended up a viral news story.

I think it did, more or less. This comes up almost every time Golden's name comes up in a significant discussion online somewhere.

They called this a "document" and assigned a $0 value to it.

Just wanted to call your attention to that.

C

Not to get into minutiae and legalize but a document requires writing and there are words on the paper; just because it has a picture of a superhero doesn't make it art. Words help it qualify as a document. And value of this stuff is very flexible, a value of $0 isn't out of line.

Robert

Identifying it as a "document" and not as "merchandise" is what I am talking about.

In this context it is business transaction for a merchandise, for a set price.

It was merchandise, for a $537 fee, not a document for $0 fee.

The words on the paper matter little, as most panel pages and covers have words all over them....none of them are documents, especially when they change hands for money in a business transaction.

If the sender valued it at $0 why was Gerry asked to pay $537 for it?

C

dealers do this so the recipient doesn't have to pay VAT fees at the recieving end of about 30%

most of my international buyers request this specifically no matter how much an item is worth

They called this a "document" and assigned a $0 value to it.

Just wanted to call your attention to that.

C

Not to get into minutiae and legalize but a document requires writing and there are words on the paper; just because it has a picture of a superhero doesn't make it art. Words help it qualify as a document. And value of this stuff is very flexible, a value of $0 isn't out of line.

Robert

Identifying it as a "document" and not as "merchandise" is what I am talking about.

In this context it is business transaction for a merchandise, for a set price.

It was merchandise, for a $537 fee, not a document for $0 fee.

The words on the paper matter little, as most panel pages and covers have words all over them....none of them are documents, especially when they change hands for money in a business transaction.

If the sender valued it at $0 why was Gerry asked to pay $537 for it?

C

dealers do this so the recipient doesn't have to pay VAT fees at the recieving end of about 30%

most of my international buyers request this specifically no matter how much an item is worth

Oh yes, I realize that, it's pretty common with international shipments. At the time I think I was being facetious, noting that these were improperly completed documents, but it's been a long time since I posted that.

This is so dangerous for sellers to do from a loss/insurance standpoint, unless they have something clear from the buyer that they accept the responsibility.

I have had two artist representative clients come to me in the last month seeking indemnification agreements to give to overseas clients who insist on this type of valuation for shipments. They want something of a "hold harmless" document, and I don't blame them.

Yeah I live in France and I do that all the time mainly for two reasons :

I don't see no reason to pay 20% more to the state for a used piece of art no matter its value ...( the official legal rate for original art should be 5.5% but they ALWAYS rip 19.6% off you ??!!!! )

And I believe it is the best way to avoid theft to have a $15 shipment rather than a high insured material ...you can't imagine the stress and the low salary of the delivery men

...but I always asssume full responsability as long as I get proof of shpment ...

Yeah I live in France and I do that all the time mainly for two reasons :

I don't see no reason to pay 20% more to the state for a used piece of art no matter its value ...( the official legal rate for original art should be 5.5% but they ALWAYS rip 19.6% off you ??!!!! )

And I believe it is the best way to avoid theft to have a $15 shipment rather than a high insured material ...you can't imagine the stress and the low salary of the delivery men

...but I always asssume full responsability as long as I get proof of shpment ...

I live in Canada and do pretty much the same thing. Having a 15-20% hit on art can be a dealbreaker. As long as it's packed in masonite with a tracking number I'll take the chance.

Greg

jeez sorry to hear bro :sorry:

I would file charges and/or anything else possible and then offer to drop the issue if I get a commission to my satisfaction. 4 years is just BS. So is getting a krapp sketch that says patience is a virue

Wow...4 years is long time.

I realize this is a sketchbook and not a sketch but what happens to all the commission money lined up when an artist dies?

People mentioned deadlines before and we all have prior obligations but how long is too long? What is considered acceptable and what is not these days?

Art collectors need a union !

lol