• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES- Round 1

Choose a comic to leave in ROUND 1  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a comic to leave in ROUND 1

86 posts in this topic

maybe DCSS#4 could have been on the list. As the first 100-page book, and a tough book, and valuable one too.

We already had this conversation in the other thread concerning Star Wars 1 35-center, which is both tougher in HG and more valuable.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but unlike the SA survivor thread, the votes are very spread out. I wonder why there doesn't appear to be any clear loser. hm

I think its cause the Bronze Age, as opposed to Silver, really only has a handful of VERY important books, and a wide tier of other stuff that happenned, third string first appearance etc. Basically, the BA itself is a deriviative creative effort of the Silver Age. Derivative as in math class, a distillation of the SA, a repetition of it in structure with the creativity spent on WIDENING the existing landscape, whereas the SA was more of a Big Bang event. Not entirely, yes I know most heroes were GA retreads....

was Star Wars 35dcenter the FIRST of the variant prices? or, just more valuable because its Star Wars? Id say the 100-page thing was pretty widespread, so that the first try might be "important in and of itself.

But because the 35-cent SW IS so sought after IMO it could have been on this list.....

Agreed, and if we worked at it, the list could be 50, 60... even 100 important BA comics, but you need to cut it off at some point, and make sure you're not forgetting any of the Top 10-15 books.

Cutting and pasting 40 books is more than enough for my fingers. :insane:

I'm not sure what the reason is, but unlike the SA survivor thread, the votes are very spread out. I wonder why there doesn't appear to be any clear loser. hm

The SA list was almost all first appearances of major charcters. The BA just didn't have a vacuum to fill, and not that many great characters emerged. The BA had a lot of good reading, but it wasn't a groundbreaking era (except maybe Conan, and some of the violence-themed charcters like Wolverine and Punisher). Outside of a few big books, this list is a crapshoot to me.

I'm really not emotionally invested in this poll, but it should be fun to tag along. I voted for ASM 101, following the anti-Mobius herd.

I'm surprised at all the votes New Gods has received. Kirby's move to DC was one of those events that signified the Silver Age was well and truly over.

Could this be the all-time most polarizing series ever? Not the best or the worst, but the one that produces the most over-the-top-divergent opinions amongst readers. Those that love the books really love the books. Those that hate 'em, hate 'em with a passion.

I'm not a fan of the series either. The art during the early part of the 4th World books was decent, and the concept was very cool. But Kirby's writing was horrific and provides the best evidence that Stan Lee fully deserves credit for the success of Marvel.

Having said all that, Kirby's move to DC, and getting the greenlight to create a whole new concept, was one of the big events that demarcated the end of the SA and the beginning of the BA. Love it or hate it, New Gods is still a significant book for this reason.

Ok, I had never read Green Lantern / Green Arrow until tonight when I picked up a copy from one of the LCSs. I've always loved Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil, but wow... this was a fantastic book. I think I might but reconsidering what goes into my Top 5.

feel free to send me some Hex so I can change my mind hm

PM me you address and I'll send you off a fantastic compilation of Jonah Hex stories. You'll definitely enjoy them. After you've read it, pass it on....perhaps to Mac Man? hm

Andy