• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Situation resolved

49 posts in this topic

Took me 2 minutes to read this thread --- 2 minutes that I'll never get back!

Seller did NOTHING wrong, and the cost of S/H were clearly listed, and the book arrived in the stated condition. I wish all my eBay wins went so well. He deserves nothing but positive feedback.

I'm not quite sure some days what Ebay sellers are supposed to do to make people happy. If you start the auction at 1-cent you are taking a risk. Ebay fees and Paypal fees on a auction like that come to almost $2.00, and remember Paypal charges on the Shipping fees...

So? I guess it would be better to never start an auction at a penny...

I was laughing (through the tears) the other day, when I saw someone gave me 4 stars on shipping time, I usually ship the same or next day, and by usually ...I mean, unless the sky falls or something...and 4 stars on shipping costs. I charge $3.50 for up to 6 books, so...the box costs me 75 cents and the shipping around $2.61 if it's less than 4 books...over I actually lose on shipping...forget the cost of the bubble wrap...cause I do..

I agree that he should have shipped more carefully and envelopes for $7.50 annoy me...but there is something deeper going on...not EVERYONE is a crook, and that new feedback system, seems to encourage people to really nit pick and stress about things that are really not stress worthy.

Then again, there ARE a lot of bidders who don't stress about things and enjoy the hobby and the joy of getting a wonderful book...they probably have better blood pressure.

Im thinking I will just stick to filling wantlists here instead of asking for/commenting on opinions, as this thread seems to be making me out as a petty individual, which I am not. For the record, the seller and I have come to an understanding and the transaction is complete. Thanks to those whose comments were constructive.

Im thinking I will just stick to filling wantlists here instead of asking for/commenting on opinions, as this thread seems to be making me out as a petty individual, which I am not. For the record, the seller and I have come to an understanding and the transaction is complete. Thanks to those whose comments were constructive.

Hopefully you include even those who disagree with you as being constructive.

When you share, you've got to take the good and the bad that comes back

at you. hm

Look, now you are taking this too far. You stated your opinion, some people don't seem to agree with you and you are taking this as a character attack. You only want people to read the thread, take your side and agree that you were wronged? That's what your saying now.....There is no way that's going to happen. Not in this case. Maybe next time, but for today, you have not proved that anything was wrong here. The only real error was paying 7.51 which obviously was more than you wanted to spend or this thread would have never really started.

So I guess my question is, should I continue to be the cheap arse or let it slide and let this seller continue to screw others out of money?

What say ye...

You should reply in great detail to every post in this thread, starting each reply with a variation on "Sheesh... WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS?????" and continuing ad nauseam WITH INTERMITTENT CAPITALS to try and drive your POINT HOME.

Shipping was stated at $7.50. You were charged $7.50. You can't neg someone for doing what they said they were going to do - even if it is high.

But, with the new eBay, you can leave detailed feedback that states you are dissatisfied with the shipping charges. That is what I do now in situations like this. I have also got in the habit of contacting sellers who are vague about how they will ship and tell them that I expect the book to be shipped in a box if they are charging this amount.

Anything more than that and I think you are out of line.

Since the comic wasnt damaged, I agree with this. You have every right to be upset about the packaging and should let the seller know about it, but you got what you paid for with all costs stated upfront.

At any rate, it's still better than 3 "NM" SMFs, right?

Shipping was stated at $7.50. You were charged $7.50. You can't neg someone for doing what they said they were going to do - even if it is high.

But, with the new eBay, you can leave detailed feedback that states you are dissatisfied with the shipping charges. That is what I do now in situations like this. I have also got in the habit of contacting sellers who are vague about how they will ship and tell them that I expect the book to be shipped in a box if they are charging this amount.

Since the comic wasnt damaged, I agree with this. You have every right to be upset about the packaging and should let the seller know about it, but you got what you paid for with all costs stated upfront.

That is true Paul, very true lol. You coming to Chi-town this year bud?

That is true Paul, very true lol. You coming to Chi-town this year bud?

Unfortunately, I can't make it this year. :cry: Maybe next year. :wishluck:

Ok, yes, I think we all understand that on principle, overcharging for shipping in wrong. But we also have to admit that many people do it, including many of us. If it is stated as "shipping and handling," there is always that grey area of what exactly "handling" counts for. Time? Packaging products? Gas? Sure, ebay and paypal fees should not be included, but can you exclude the other stuff?

So, not knowing the auction, perhaps he didn't state the $7.50 as "shipping and handling." Perhaps he just stated it was "shipping." Sure, he could have been more explicit, perhaps he thought "handling" was understood. In addition, if you were really concerned about this, you could have emailed him to ask what the $7.50 shipping charge got you? (i.e. priority mail, delivery confirmation, etc.)

Regardless though, he *stated* that there was a $7.50 shipping fee. All of us take in account this before bidding. In essence, you were deciding that this book was worth $7.51 to you when you placed the bid. When the box came, sure, we can understand being upset with the shipping overcharge. Had it been explicitly listed as a "handling" charge, would you have been as upset?

What it boils down to though, is that this was an agreed upon total, *before* you even bid. There are countless other times where the shipping charge is *not* listed, and the seller decides to overcharge. *Those* are actual times when a complaint is warranted. But as was stated before, feel free to leave this guy a neutral, and mark down the section on shipping...

You guys are so knee-jerk punitive...a freaking neutral??? NO WAY! Transaction delivered as advertised. By all means, I would contact the Seller and tell him he lucked out and the item arrived un-mangled but that I would highly recommend that he consider any number of more secure packing methods commensurate with the item/value of the book/etc. If I got (like I usually have) a "thanks for the advice...I will definitely improve on my packaging/etc." I'd have felt like I did the good turn and move on...if the person was a jerk maybe then I'd put out an alert on him but that still wouldn't necessarily justify a neutral or neg...

As for the buyer...absolute agreement with the general gist of this thread...nothing WRONG with this transaction...he even offered complete refund which separates the wheat from the chaff...he stated $7.50 for shipping and that's the cost, regardless if the extra $6.00 goes to his Oxycontin habit or whatever...between RMA and this one, put your feeble "problems" up against some real scams before you come unglued...

I'm new to the boards...are people looking to pick fights at the slightest whim these days...I lost $12K in my 401K the past week...who gives a you're out $6 shipping...GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

the thing that would have pizzed me off wouldnt have been the shipping, but rather the shoddy way of packaging. I think, and I might be wrong, but that might be some of Brad's frustration.

Ive had a few books sent to me that were several $100 in value that came in exactly the same way that Brad describes.

you should be thankful - hell, we all should be - for dumbassssses who state up front that they're going to bend the winner over on shipping.

it keeps the vast - vast, i say - majority of bidders away. on principle.

thus, your one cent win. if he had charged a decent shipping amount, like say three bucks, chances are there would have been a lot more bidders in his auction, and he would have gotten closer to FMV on this book.

tools. i swear, people can be so stupidly shortsighted, it's a wonder they can operate a computer well enough to access teh interwebs, much less screw themselves over on an auction listing

You guys are missing the fact that the seller was using the shipping and handling charge to cover ebay and paypal fees. That is a no no. Other than that, ya who cares, sounds like you did pretty well.

You guys are missing the fact that the seller was using the shipping and handling charge to cover ebay and paypal fees. That is a no no. Other than that, ya who cares, sounds like you did pretty well.

Yeah, you really can't give the guy less than a positive feedback. As someone else mentioned though, you can give him a lower shipping rating. That's the right thing to do.

And eddly is right- you can't state that you are passing the listing/closing fees onto the buyer, you also don't have to qualify WHAT the handling charges encompass. You knew what they were going into the auction, so you can't really complain about being charged that amount.

In the past, when I've been unhappy with shoddy packing, I've PMd the person to let them know that I was unhappy with the transaction due to the poor shipping. Most are appreciative of the polite feedback.

But, the bottomline is, it sounds like you got a steal of a deal REGARDLESS of the shipping charges, so be happy with the cool, signed, inexpensive comic book you picked up. :)

Contractually, where do you find this premise...people can state a given fixed cost for shipping...in this case $7.50...doesn't matter if they're ripping off their company and shipping for "free" or if in fact it costs $10 to ship...I ship all the time for $6 and $8 dollars (stated shipping cost) and spend actual postage (forget about "handling" fees) that costs more than the $6 or $8...conversely, does that give me the right to seek the difference...weird conclusions here...