• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. This happens quite a bit. The standard CSG slab barely fits a perfectly sized 2.5" by 3.5" card. If your card is slightly bigger than 2.5" by 3.5" from a factory cut, there isn't enough room for the card to fit in the standard case. This is why they have to use the plastic sleeve. PSA will do this as well, but less often as their slabs can accommodate slightly larger cards. This is one of the few issues I have with CSG. Changing to CGC won't change this, the slabs are exactly the same.
  2. Miscut cards are less valuable in the hobby. In the coin world, things like this would hold more value. In card collecting, this is not the case.
  3. If CSG grades Tall Boys, I hope they don't continue their Beckett model with using larger cases and plastic sleeves around the cards. CSG really needs to not only develop slabs for bigger cards, but they need proper cutouts for them. Another wish list I have is that they have slabs designed for T206, 1933 Goudey, and early Bowman cards. I hate the plastic sleeves holding the cards in the slab. CSG has the best plastic in the hobby and seeing that plastic sleeve really hurts how the card looks inside.
  4. If you go to Blowoutforums or Net54 forums, they have people that can tell fakes from reals very easily. If you have a blacklight, the real cards will glow, but this is not a 100% test. The Ryan does look weird, but it could have just been stamped poorly. Attached is my Desert Shield card that Blowout members help me with. The name of the thread on Blowout forums is, "Rolling Thread for Fake 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cards." Good luck!
  5. Yes, the normal price is $15. They really should have written the price as $15 $12 on the Services and Fees page to show the discount.
  6. My November 7th received bulk order was shipped yesterday. I know a few other people that were around November 9th that just got shipped out as well. My orders tend to take more time because I have bulk orders that range from T206 cards until ultra-modern. I think you will start to see movement very soon!
  7. I think the issue is, from my grading experience, that the size of the inserts within the holder is the issue. If the card is even slightly larger then standard 2.5 x 3.5 inches for typical cards, they will have to put them into a crimped plastic sleeve into the larger holder. CSG's slabs have hardly any leeway on cards cut bigger than the typical size. I think this is the issue with the cards not being holdered for older Topps. The will grade them and then not be able to slab them because of the card being ever so slightly bigger than the slab allows. For example the holder will allow cards up to 3.8 inches, but if your card is 3.82 inches it can't be slabbed.
  8. There are 1954 Bowman cards slabbed by CSG. They have holders that can accommodate those cards. They use their standard older Topps sized holder and crimp a plastic sleeve around those in the bigger holder. CSG can't grade cards like 1969 Topps tall boys in basketball, but they have holders for your cards. From CSG, "CSG currently grades cards that measure 2-5/8" x 3-3/4" or less." 1954 Bowman football are 2½" by 3¾". They will fit in CSG slabs.
  9. That is personally a card I wouldn't grade. Probably around an 8 to 8.5 max. You can buy really nice CSG 8.5 from eBay for about the same price as grading cost. The only reason for grading that card is if you have some type of emotional attachment to it. For example I graded a 1984 Topps Mattingly that got a CSG 7 because my dad bought that card for me when I was a kid. It means more to me than the PSA 9's that I have for the same card.
  10. Always mark the box with the highest grading level! Put a big EX on your box!
  11. That is probably an express card at the $56 level. That is somewhere between a $1500 to $2000 card IMO. Cards with paper loss and huge creases for this 1955 Clemente go for around $1000. This is much nicer than the PSA/SGC 1 and 1.5's that sell for $1000.
  12. Are you trying to crossover that card? CSG will only cross over BGS (BVG), PSA, and SGC slabs. They won't even look at any other companies. If you want to grade it with CSG, you will have to crack it out of the slab and submit raw.
  13. People care way too much about grades. I have a PSA 10 1988 Fleer Dennis Rodman that sells for over $2000 because of an opinion. Bought it for $30 and graded it for $10. If I took it out of the case and submitted it to PSA, 80% chance it is a 9 and 20% chance of a 10. The card would probably lose over $2000 because it graded a 9. I have graded 80's vending cards with PSA that were absolutely identical in every way. Put one of the best in separate orders. Some orders I got 8/9's and some orders I got 7/8's, with cards that were identical. I treat grading as +/-1. If I have an 6 from any company, I treat it as a 5 to 7. I am buying raw cards and grading with CSG, then selling or trading my PSA slabs of the same card. For instance I have two PSA 7's 1974 Dave Winfield rookies and I got one graded at CSG that is very similar that got a CSG 7.5. Keeping the CSG and getting rid of the two PSA slabs. I have been doing this for the past 6 months.
  14. Each grading company does things differently. PSA cares more about centering and corners. CSG cares more about the surface of the card. That is why you will see PSA cards that have a crappy surface grade much higher than CSG. You will also see CSG cards with a dinged corner grade much lower at PSA. PSA rewards off-centered cards for being in great shape, CSG rewards centering and registration over everything else being perfect. I much prefer the way CSG grades. Just a personal opinion. I had another order pop and the cards with a nice surface graded well and they killed me on 5 cards that PSA would have graded 1+ higher in a grade because of a slight surface issue.
  15. CSG, in my experience, does grade vintage a little lenient. I have graded with CSG/PSA/SGC and they can sometimes be 0.5 to 1 grade above SGC/PSA. CSG tends to let a dinged corner grade higher than the other companies. However, they are just as hard on surface than PSA/SGC. I still use CSG for vintage, because of the price and quality of the holder. Well, I stopped using them for non-standard sized vintage, because I prefer the slabs designed for those cards. The crimped plastic sleeves are a deal breaker for me. I really wish CSG would have slabs that are designed for T206, 1933 Goudey, and early Bowman cards. Now for some actual evidence that they grade more on the lenient side. The evidence is Andy Broome himself. Andy was in charge of BVG at Beckett, and they grade vintage (pre-1980's) differently than modern cards. They even tell you they do! That is how Andy graded for a long time. He then came to CSG and lead the vintage grading here. He trained everyone and defined the standards. It is absolutely not a stretch that CSG vintage grading is treated differently than cards after 1980. This does fit with my experience with grading at PSA/SGC. I am not talking a huge difference, but I have received 7's on cards that would normally be a 6 to 6.5 at PSA/SGC. However, PSA will grade the same card a 5 to a 7 with their inconsistent grading. The one thing about CSG and SGC that I love, is at least they are consistent about how they grade. I stopped using PSA because of insane turnaround times, horrible customer service, and inconsistent grading. I will also use CSG over SGC for standard sized cards. It is half the price, and the slab is twice as nice. Edit: I will go one further here. BVG vintage is 1980 and older and BGS grades cards 1981 and newer. That is exactly how these forums are set up. Most other places will say pre-1980's and will include 1980 as not vintage.