• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top 10 best comic investments under $200?

132 posts in this topic

Shut yer piehole. As if you've even read MM15. mad.gif That book rocks!

But you wouldn't identify with it since it doesn't have a swooning female on the cover tongue.gif

Screw you fool. This thread is about investment...not about how well the book is written or not. You telling me you can't find a better investment than a CGC copy of this? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What do you think the best deals for under $200 are? (and explain why if you feel like it). What books will go up in the long term that arent already $$$? Any feedback you could give me would be appreciated. Here's some of my picks:

1. Hulk 182,

2. Miracleman 15,

3. ASM annuals 3-5

4. Green Lantern 76

What do you all think?

Thanks, john

ASM 136 and 238

Hulk 182

None of the books listed are good 'investments".

Every single one of those books has already seen significant price appreciation, and the train left the station on them long ago.

Good investments are buying books for 50 cents each and selling them for $5 each. It takes much more work, but that's where you're going to make you're higher return on investment. Look for a bronze age collection that you can buy for $200 in bulk and sell for $500.

How about MTU 53 and PPSS 27 & 28? confused-smiley-013.gif

Every single one of those books has already seen significant price appreciation, and the train left the station on them long ago. If you can get them for 50 cents in high grade, you can sell them for $5. That's what you have to do now, with your $200. I'll MUCH rather buy 400 NM 1970s Marvels for $200 (which you can do ALL THE TIME if you look hard) than any of the books listed before. I may end up with 200 books in my house, but I'll also have a thousand dollars.

Every single one of those books has already seen significant price appreciation, and the train left the station on them long ago. If you can get them for 50 cents in high grade, you can sell them for $5. That's what you have to do now, with your $200. I'll MUCH rather buy 400 NM 1970s Marvels for $200 (which you can do ALL THE TIME if you look hard) than any of the books listed before. I may end up with 200 books in my house, but I'll also have a thousand dollars.

Hmmm....

How about this book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GLJQJ-MARVELTALES99.jpg

Hmmm....

GLJQJ-MARVELTALES99.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmm....

GLJQJ-MARVELTALES99.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

What now greggy.....? confused.gif

None of the books listed are good 'investments". Every single one of those books has already seen significant price appreciation, and the train left the station on them long ago.

Agreed! Whatever happened to "buy low, sell high"?? Nowadays, the mantra seems to be "buy at nose-bleed prices, hope to sell at unfathomably insane prices".

Good investments are buying books for 50 cents each and selling them for $5 each. It takes much more work, but that's where you're going to make you're higher return on investment.

To me, this is straddling a fine line between being a labor-intensive investment and being just flat-out labor. I agree that the potential percentage returns are much higher in this area, but, as you said, it takes a substantial amount of incremental effort.

To me, it's not worth it for one simple reason: although the potential is there for eye-popping percentage returns, the absolute dollar return per unit of time spent is much lower than what I can get in other investment asset classes. You could, as you said, buy 400 NM books for $200 and try to flip them for $500, but it's much easier for me to make a quick $300 profit in the stock market with two clicks of my mouse. Sure, it takes a lot more capital than $200 to do so, but being somewhat limited in my free time and not being capital constrained, trading/investing in stock is always going to be the better investment option for me (and, I suspect, most members of the Board who are willing to work at it) than spending tons of time than finding and identifying numerous undervalued, low dollar funny books and trying to turn them over as quickly as possible.

Gene

None of the books listed are good 'investments". Every single one of those books has already seen significant price appreciation, and the train left the station on them long ago.

Agreed! Whatever happened to "buy low, sell high"?? Nowadays, the mantra seems to be "buy at nose-bleed prices, hope to sell at unfathomably insane prices".

Good investments are buying books for 50 cents each and selling them for $5 each. It takes much more work, but that's where you're going to make you're higher return on investment.

To me, this is straddling a fine line between being a labor-intensive investment and being just flat-out labor. I agree that the potential percentage returns are much higher in this area, but, as you said, it takes a substantial amount of incremental effort.

To me, it's not worth it for one simple reason: although the potential is there for eye-popping percentage returns, the absolute dollar return per unit of time spent is much lower than what I can get in other investment asset classes. You could, as you said, buy 400 NM books for $200 and try to flip them for $500, but it's much easier for me to make a quick $300 profit in the stock market with two clicks of my mouse. Sure, it takes a lot more capital than $200 to do so, but being somewhat limited in my free time and not being capital constrained, trading stock is always going to be the better investment option for me than spending tons of time than finding and identifying numerous undervalued, low dollar funny books and trying to turn them over as quickly as possible.

Gene

Well, aside from the fact that you work in the capital markets grin.gif you're right - but I know what I'm doing with undervalued funny books. Its probably easier for you to know what you're doing. I've gotten burned a few times in the market, so I don't play there anymore. The 8th level of hell is reserved for people who pimped Lucent to me. Although my eBay stock bought at the IPO hasn't hurt.

And I don't spend tons of time - its all about connections and working it. Oh, and ripping off little old ladies. I'll happily take my 500% returns and be happy with them. Of such little things the Donut empire is founded - buy for $1. Sell for $5. Repeat 10,000 times.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... the Donut model for selling books is the smartest one I've seen.

I know Gene thinks of this as too close to labor intensive and not great as an "investment", but I think of it more as simply exercising the principle of buying low selling high. It all depends on how much time is being put in to find those $1 books for $5... Donut seems to have gotten it down where he isn't spending all his time looking for books.

Looking for books is fun... I get the sense Donut enjoys what he does... but since Donut also profits off of his search, if he spends time too much time searching, it minimizes his actual return because so much time is spent doing that.

But as I said, Donut doesn't seem to have that problem.

For me (and apparently you) collecting is a hobby, so we're using free time to look for books. In that sense, it doesn't matter how much time and effort there is in looking for a book.