• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top 10 best comic investments under $200?

132 posts in this topic

No. JLA/Avengers wasn't that hot a book and I don't think people have really warmed up to the series in the interim. It was good, but it wasn't The Dark Knight Returns quality-wise and it didn't generate "classic" book heat in terms of being a collectible. For $200 I would honestly worry about making my money back long-term. It's a great book if that's your thing, and there are people for whom that series was definitely a "thing," but I wouldn't "invest" money in it.

Not even 10.0s. I think the market for a modern 10.0 is very, very small. There aren't enough people who put a premium on having a 10.0 of a modern book in my opinion, and the price driveup is done by speculators. I think it will look worse in the future for those books, not better. It's also a question of rarity... there are already 11. It's not like a one of a kind 10.0 by any stretch of the imagination.

Agreed. IMO, 10.0s are akin to the manufactured collectibles they sell on Home Shopping Network. A lot of people want 10.0s now because they "want to have a 10.0" in their collection with little regard to the contents of the slab. In several years when there are tens of thousands of 10.0s in the census, will 10.0s be selling for crazy prices just because they are 10.0s?

JLA/Avengers 10.0 is a horrid horrid "investment". You will make a better return on your money making paper airplanes out of it. Again, if you want to make money on books, you need to find books that sell for 50 cents and sell them for $5.

Sorry I'm referring to the wrong era anyways. foreheadslap.gif I'm not looking to make money, just buying for the sheer joy of it and maybe 25 years down the road unload them for some nice pocket change, maybe. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I don't think you're making a bad transaction here actually... There will always be people who want the best. As long as they don't raise the grading scale to "11" there will always be buyers for Gem Mint 10.0 books.

You said it better than I did the first time. I think those people holding those 9.8's and 9.9's will not see much in the way of a return but I'm sure there will be interest with a 10.0 down the road, especially with a great cover like issue #4. That's not my motivation here but only time will tell. thumbsup2.gif

I don't think you're making a bad transaction here actually... There will always be people who want the best. As long as they don't raise the grading scale to "11" there will always be buyers for Gem Mint 10.0 books.

Sure, but *which* books?

Personally, I think stuff like this will follow 99% of the Moderns and just fade into the background after a year or two.

Marvel Spotlight 5

Hulk 180

Amazing Adventures 11

Spider-man 136

X Men 101

Davidking623

No way. The train has already left the station on all of these.

I totally agree, and I think we're pretty tapped out on "future investments", other than the odd undiscovered "Fight Club" book like past gems Defenders 10 and Avengers 116.

That's about the only place you might be able to find some action, along with some DC keys that have yet to be identified. The Marvel side is pretty well set, and DC has been the area of most "key issue" change since 1995.

Greggy's probably sitting on a veritable Gold Mine. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I totally agree, and I think we're pretty tapped out on "future investments", other than the odd undiscovered "Fight Club" book like past gems Defenders 10 and Avengers 116.

That's about the only place you might be able to find some action, along with some DC keys that have yet to be identified. The Marvel side is pretty well set, and DC has been the area of most "key issue" change since 1995.

acclaim.gif

acclaim.gif

Gold Digger! foreheadslap.gif

Actually, here's a couple of investments:

1) The Goon, self-published book pre-Dark Horse, #1

2) Dark Horse Presents #2 (first Concrete)

3) Defenders 4 (first Valkyrie)

4) Winnie the Pooh 22 (if you can find it)

5) 1950s Dells. Don't laugh. You can get them for NOTHING and flip them for 10X what you paid for them.

You really think that Valkyrie will ever hit big? insane.gif

Maybe, and it does have a bunch of things going for it - 1) first appearance 2) black cover 20 cent Marvel 3) VERY cheap, relative to other books 4) a cool character, if done right.

Maybe, and it does have a bunch of things going for it - 1) first appearance 2) black cover 20 cent Marvel 3) VERY cheap, relative to other books 4) a cool character, if done right.

Thanks a lot Donut. 893frustrated.gif

The REASON it's not worth more is that few realize it IS the first appearance of Val, in the true sense. The other two were the Enchantress in disguise, while this is the real item that starred in Defenders for a decade or so.

It's kinda like that "Cap Acrobat" non-appearance in Strange Tales, compared to Avengers #4.

You really think that Valkyrie will ever hit big? insane.gif

I thought Valkyrie first appearance was in Avengers #83 (Enchantress) or Incredible Hulk 142?

Jim