• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deathlok Does Comic-con

43 posts in this topic

Friday

After leaving work due to some unforeseen emergency, I was able to leave at 3: pm from Los Angeles. This of course, turned out to be a really bad decision. Traffic from Los Angeles was horrible, and it took me close to 3 ½ hours to drive. Normally, it takes about 2 hours to make the trek.

I had been in contact with Greggy by phone and he mentioned that he was going to Morton’s for dinner with Shin and Jeffrey, and their wives. I told him that I was going to try and be there, but ultimately, couldn’t make the reservation.

After checking into the hotel, which was very easy, I had dinner at the Elephant $ Castle Bar & Grill. Wasn’t bad, but I was tired and just wanted to relax after my drive. When I got to the room, I met Aardvark and Ed. Nice guys. Greggy showed up from his dinner later. After staying up until midnight, I was ready to sleep.

Saturday

Woke up around 7:30, and headed to go have breakfast. We had breakfast at the Grand Central Café, located in the historic YMCA building. After breakfast, we headed over to catch the shuttle to take us to the con. Surprisingly, the streets and the front of the convention center was chaos, an hour before the con opened. At the door, I told security I was there to pick up my Exhibitor Badge. They allowed me in, and picking up the badge was an easy process. (Thanks Rich). So into the con, I went.

The first stop was the CGC booth, to unload the books I wanted to drop off for grading. I submitted 2 Green River books (FF Annual, Sgt. Fury), 2 Mass books (both G.I. Combat), Chamber of Darkness #4 (bought from Lighthouse), and Daredevil #1 (bought from Flying Donut). After meeting the usual CGC gang (Mark, Paul, Scott, Kevin, etc.) Greggy and I walked the convention floor. We stopped at a couple places to pick up ticket giveaways, and swag. Nothing really exciting as far as swag goes. As always, the SD con has the greatest displays. Most notable were the displays for Sideshow Collectibles, Sci-Fi channel, The Golden Compass, Lego, Star Wars, Warner Bros., and Sony.

Greggy wanted to go check out the Autograph area to see if he could take some pictures of some celebs. I think he really was hoping Gary Coleman would be there. Sadly, there wasn’t much in the way of Celebs. The ones I saw were Virgil, the midget from POTC, Boomer from 70s BG, and many other lesser known celebs. Throughout the week-end I checked a couple times and saw the following; Erin Moran (ugh), Elvira, Jenna Jameson, cast of Blade runner, Feedback, Fat Momma, Matt Groening, and Captain Spaulding from 1000 Corpses.

Greggy and I went to go get some lunch at Moose McGillycuddy’s Pub. A couple years ago, when we went there for lunch, a cute female bartender was there and made the meal more enjoyable. This time however, was not as fun, as there weren’t any cute waitresses.

After lunch, I wanted to get back to the con, in order to get Lily Renee to sign a couple Planet Comic #39s, I had brought with me. I missed her panel which I was told was really great. I did however; manage to get her signature, with the help of Kevin Boyd for a signature series. She was a very nice woman, who was overwhelmed by the con experience and how much collectors enjoyed her Fiction House work.

Walked around the con some more. I bought the Special SD con boxed set of 300. Included is a special mask from the movie, as well as a sticker identifying as a con exclusive and a carrying bag. The Best Buy guys selling it said that this was the only place that would ever sell this boxed set, but who knows.

I went back to the hotel around 5:00 pm to get ready for the forum dinner later that night. Greggy and I walked to the dinner at the Embassy Suites. The drinks were good, the dinner was moderate, and the company was great. Board members in attendance (sorry, if I missed some): Rarehighgrade, Innocous, JeffreyLi, Qualitycomix, Captain_Tripps, Borg, shinkao, Lawboy, silverandbronze, GAcollectibles, and Kramerica. There was also the CGC gang, and Michelle Nolan, Don Rosa, Conrad Eschelberg, and the Bunky Bros. thanks to silverandbronze for the Toon Tumblers.

After leaving the dinner at around midnight, I walked back to my room, for some sleep. No, I wasn’t a part of the beat down that occurred in the Gaslamp.

Sunday

We again, woke early to go to breakfast at the same spot. I packed up my car with my luggage and swag. We headed over to the con. That morning was panel I didn’t want to miss with Nic Cage and his son, Weston, to talk about comics. Apparently, they are producing a comic published through Virgin Comics called Voodoo Child. It looked like and should dead by issue 5. Nic’s son was is full Goth mode, and really was kinda lethargic. Nic however, was very entertaining when he wasn’t gushing about how creative his kid was. It honestly, felt as if Nic was only there to add his name to a crappy product. Just a suggestion, why doesn’t Weston change his name so that he can establish himself. Perhaps he could take on a comic book moniker, like Weston Grimm, or Weston Rand, or Weston Storm.

I headed back downstairs in order to do some comic buying. I didn’t bring very much money, but I did want to buy something good. On Saturday, I perused some of the dealers in order to get an idea of what they had. I stopped at Brent’s booth and picked some reader copies of Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis comics in good shape. I then went over to Stephen Ritter’s booth. He had some books that I really wanted, but the cost was way over my limit. I did manage to purchase from him my first Mile High book, Fight Comics #83. Since starting my Fiction House collection, this book was a great addition.

At this time, Greggy called me to have lunch. Other than comics, Greggy enjoys naps and eating. We went to Danny’s Woodfire Pizza, which Greggy had trouble locating at first. The pizzas were good, but not spectacular.

After Lunch, I bid farewell to Greggy, and headed to the car and my drive home.

Overall, another great con experience. Sure many of the comics were overpriced, but aren’t they always. I was kinda shocked at how many board members did not attend the dinner, considering they were there for the con. Hopefully, next year, I can attend Wondercon, and stay longer in SD.

:banana:

We again, woke early to go to breakfast at the same spot.

That place must be pretty good? Never been there, but I'm always looking for good places to eat.

Wasn't that it was that great, but it was inexpensive, open early, and on the way to the con.

lame. zzz Please re-title as: "My Dinners With Greggy"

Where're the pics of Jenna Jameson?? (shrug)

Probably in the cameras of the desperate fanboys who enjoy themselves to her image, or posted on the internet for other desperate fanboys who ask for pictures of her.

Probably in the cameras of the desperate fanboys who enjoy themselves to her image, or posted on the internet for other desperate fanboys who ask for pictures of her.

Right. So where are your pictures of her? (shrug):baiting:

Didn't take any, sorry perhaps you should try the internet for pictures of her.

I would but all those sites have banned me. lol

BTW, were they doing on-site grading of the books you dropped off, or were those just regular submissions?

I would but all those sites have banned me. lol

BTW, were they doing on-site grading of the books you dropped off, or were those just regular submissions?

no-site grading in SD, just normal submissions.