• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best buy ... worst buy

34 posts in this topic

A worst buy ... Comic Connect has a Human Torch 12 in CGC 6.0 for around $4850

this was the bidding on the eBay Torch 12......demand may challenge the "worst buy" category

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=190132738040

Actually, that just shows that there were only 2 people willing to bid within 50% of the winning bid. That would suggest that since one of them is now out of the running, similar copies would only fetch about half what that one went for. So demand may not be what you expect it to be.

Buttock,

you lost me ( I think ).......are you suggesting that if another similar copy ( warped and all ) was sold on eBay right now, it would only sell for $2200 even though this one just sold for $4400 simply because I would not be bidding on the second copy? (shrug)

It's a simplified way of thinking, but yeah. There was you, and bidder 19, and everyone else was down around $2150 or less. It's certainly possible that someone else would come along and bump the price higher, but the available objective data would suggest otherwise.

this was the bidding on the eBay Torch 12......demand may challenge the "worst buy" category

Actually, that just shows that there were only 2 people willing to bid within 50% of the winning bid. That would suggest that since one of them is now out of the running, similar copies would only fetch about half what that one went for. So demand may not be what you expect it to be.

Buttock,

you lost me ( I think ).......are you suggesting that if another similar copy ( warped and all ) was sold on eBay right now, it would only sell for $2200 even though this one just sold for $4400 simply because I would not be bidding on the second copy? (shrug)

It's a simplified way of thinking, but yeah. There was you, and bidder 19, and everyone else was down around $2150 or less. It's certainly possible that someone else would come along and bump the price higher, but the available objective data would suggest otherwise.

I have related bidding histories to suggest this "might" happen (though mine are not "key" books)....I have noticed that several books that I bid on and won (agressively), there have been multiple simimlarly conditioned books subsequently offered that sold for much much less, because I was no longer involved in the bidding...sometimes, I even upgraded cheaper than my under copy, because of the changing nature of the bidding pool...

so, it really depends...if only 2 duke it out for book "a", and the winner now has conquered and owns book "a", that might leave the second agressive bidder to pay substantially less should a similar copy "a" come to market sooner than a new bidder (agressive) does... (sounded simpler in my head!)

gator

I think that's totally true in many cases.

However, there are two other considerations in this case. First is that it is my understanding that Steve bought this book with the idea of reselling it. That suggests that if another copy were to come up, he might also be willing to bid on that one. Thus he would not be out of the bidding in the second sale and the price could be just as high (or higher if the underbidder decides they really want the book the second time).

The second consideration is that there was a significant speculative nature to the bidding in this auction. I assume that the $4K+ bidders are betting that this book will press out to a blue label CGC 8.0 or better. The lower bidders may just not be big gamblers. I bid on the book, but it was very hard for me to be confident that the book would press out to a high enough grade to make a big bid comfortable.

2c

I think that's totally true in many cases.

However, there are two other considerations in this case. First is that it is my understanding that Steve bought this book with the idea of reselling it. That suggests that if another copy were to come up, he might also be willing to bid on that one. Thus he would not be out of the bidding in the second sale and the price could be just as high (or higher if the underbidder decides they really want the book the second time).

The second consideration is that there was a significant speculative nature to the bidding in this auction. I assume that the $4K+ bidders are betting that this book will press out to a blue label CGC 8.0 or better. The lower bidders may just not be big gamblers. I bid on the book, but it was very hard for me to be confident that the book would press out to a high enough grade to make a big bid comfortable.

2c

good points as well...

isn't this funny book business "fun"

gator

It's a simplified way of thinking, but yeah.

You hit the nail on the head Buttock.......just call me Mr. simple mind !!

Key Lynerd Skynerd's "Simple Man"....

classic! :headbang:

Stuck in my head for the next day at least.

And every now and then, a "Busssccchhhh " from the commercial

Stuck in my head for the next day at least.

And every now and then, a "Busssccchhhh " from the commercial

I just played it on you tube, a great live version!

gator

Buttock,

This is definately one way to look at it, but here is another. Time and time again the cheap collector in me has stopped at say 2x guide on a book, and lost being the underbidder or even two or three back. Then after waiting months for the right copy, or even a copy to come back into play I then mark up my bid. So my point is while the underbidder in this case may have not had any competition, in the next round he/she may have. That is to say the 3rd place bidder realizes that he may have to pay much more to obtain his grail of the day.

I myself am a slow learner and it took me three tries to score my Cap 47 which I had lost two previous bouts, by being conservative at 2x guide. Surfers HT 12 had multiple bidders if I remember correctly bidding at close to the same level, so these bidders might respectively come out to play on the next auction and we could see an even higher price example. There is no way to know if you will set the new price point on a book, It seems to be a luck of the draw, you either have bidders or you don't. Factors such as vacations, medical, or overspending on different books could keep a potential buyer out for one auction, but the next time he/she might be in the front of the pack.

I for one would feel very secure bidding high on a key book such as HT 12 with two 4K range sales. I like a two see at least two sales at multiple guide before I jump in and do likewise. That same thought pattern has cost me some wins, but at least there is a little security investment wise.

I figue thats at least .05 cents worth, but now you have it.

Paul

Good Grief and for crying out loud ... not one ... not even one of you has posted a bestbuy/worstbuy ... :tonofbricks:

Instead you went crazy over the Human Torch 12 and the Phantom Lady 13 ...

I said I wouldn't post again until at least one of you did ... but upon reflection ... maybe you just don't know how to do it...so here we go again ...

AS ALWAYS ... there are no WORST BUYS not really ... not if you buy what you like ... with that said ...

BEST BUY ... CATMAN #5 on Comic Link ... Recent discussion on another thread ... short San Diego report brought up CATMAN ...in particular issue #5 ... without a doubt Comiclinks recent sell of the Highest Graded Copy of Catman ... in CGC 8.0 for $1200 was an absolute SCREAMING best buy ... the Mile High Copy has a spine split and clocks in at 7.5 ... a very nice locomotive cover ... bullets bouncing off our hero ... AND this is the origin issue of the KITTEN ... little known fact ... the KITTEN is pictured on the cover ... albeit just her foot/leg, but look close and you'll see her coming behind the CATMAN ... WOW ... such a sweet sweet book ...

WORST BUY ... EXCITING COMICS #11 ... in 9.8 on Metropolis for 10k ... the highest graded should always get a premium ... but a higher number in and of itself doesn't deserve even higher money ... meaning ... this book being 5k in 9.6 doesn't mean it should be 10K jsut because it's 9.8 ... granted the grade is ridiculously high ... WOW ... but it's the highest graded and probably always will be even if it was only a 9.4 ... so the better buy would be to get the MILE HIGH 13, 14, and 17 all in 9.4 for about the same money ... well ... that's 11.4K ... so instead of the 14 at 4k ... get the 23 at 3k ... or while we're at it ... take that money and get the HUMAN TORCH 12 some of you loved so much and two of the Edgar Church Excitings ... for around 11 ...

Anyway ... my point being the EXCITING 11 is not a best buy ... a great comic ... yes ... a great price ... NO NO ... do I like ... yes .. .shoot my moniker is Black Terror ... would I like that much if the copy was mine ... of course ... but I'd advise you to pass on that book in favor of others that are equally pleasing and will stand as the highest graded copies ... granted ... 9.4's as opposed to 9.8 ... but the best is the best and that's what the premium is really all about ...

Now if you want to reply ... great ... but the price of admission ... suggest a golden age bestbuy/worstbuy ... really it's not that hard ... just think of books you are looking at ...

Here's another way to look at it ...

So far ... I love all the books I've mentioned .... but if my son were saying dad ... I'm pondering the HT 12 in 6.0 at something like 5 times guide and the Highest GRADED Phantom Lady 13 at below guide ... I'm going to buy one ... I'm no more fanatical about one book than the other ... I'd say jump on the Phantom Lady ... it is one of two in that grade or better ... I'd say jump on that Phantom Lady ... it is the best buy ... many disagreed ... fine but that's what I would advise my own son to do. We aren't talking about somebody liking Timely's better than Fox's ... or a Human Torch in 9.0 ... we are talking about two real books for sale right now ...

Now my son says .... hey dad ... I'm trying to decide between the Highest GRADED Copy of Cat man 5 for $1250 or Exciting 11 highest graded copy in 9.8 ... for $10,000 ... I'd say jump on that Catman it is the best buy ... get it that's what I'd do ... maybe bestbuy/worstbuy is to inflammatory ... what I mean is which book is the better buy ... which of course means what which book is the best buy and which is the worst ...

Now you do it ... pick two books a bestbuy/worstbuy ... it's fun ... and cheaper than actually buying ... :D

Now you do it ... pick two books a bestbuy/worstbuy ... it's fun

No..No..YOU do it, and the rest of us will then spend the following week analyzing your picks - thanks in advance. ;)