• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dinner At Eight or an Evening with RareHighGrade

70 posts in this topic

Last year tth2 and I received a special midnight showing of comics at RareHighGrade's place. It was a blast (thumbs u but it was much too short due to the late hour and incomplete because RHG didn't bring out a certain book that we really, really, really wanted to see (tsk) . So this year he invited a small group of handsome and intelligent collectors for dinner and a show-n-tell at a time that would allow for a more relaxed visit. They weren't able to come so the bar was lowered to allow Bedrock, Esquire, Nearmint, Sacentaur, tb, and I to qualify. :banana:

Through a carefully coordinated transportation plan everyone converged at 7pm in the jungle garden of Casa RHG to settle in and unwind with their first drink. Everyone, that is, except for me who somehow couldn't remember the rendezvous time or booth doh! and had to high tail it separately to the event. Arriving at the fashionably correct time of 8pm I was able to get the party started and we dug into the pizza and home-made dessert goodies (uber thanks to Mrs. RHG (worship) ).

After dinner we adjourned to the formal dining room for the viewing of the books. Sacentaur bought a couple of those gorgeous glossinated copies (that Chicago Timely was scorching! :headbang: ) and Bedrock brought a sample of DC Comics to prove that he has the courage, taste, and thoughtfulness that goes well beyond that of a Timely collector (I'm so proud of him!). Bedrock's piece-de-resistance was his new favorite book (it involves a certain jungle character) and it was amazing to see in person. It's not the greatest art or the greatest coloring but when you look at the book you are transported.

Even through the CGC holder it glowed. :cloud9: Esquire brought some copies of correspondence between Siegal and Shuster and DC that had been written between 1937 and 1940. It was amazing work from the dawn of the super-hero era and provided insight into the concerns and pressures of a couple young kids who'd just made it to the major leagues.

One collector brought some lame 50s cr@p but we pressed through them quickly enough that they didn't spoil the evening. A couple collectors didn't bring anything to show but I promised tb and nearmint that I'd keep this secret so I'm not going to name names. They know who they are and I'm sure it won't happen again. rantrant

After a short break our gracious host presented an array of treasures that his minions had pulled from the vault just for this occasion. Since RHG is sometimes reticent to talk about his collection I'm not going to name specific books. It was an overwhelming experience, spiritually uplifting as we had a new adventure looking at many churches and having more fun and double the action any comic geek had a right to expect. I'm sure if you did a bit of detective work looking through old posts in this forum you would be able to figure out some of the books that we saw, except for the jumbo-sized finale that blew everyone away.

:gossip: I will say to tth2 that the answer to "the question" is that it is at least nm+ with snow white pages.

Finally, filled with good food, camaraderie, and aesthetic wonderment, we returned to our cars and headed back to our lodging, reflecting quietly on the wonders we had seen and the gracious hospitality of our host.

Thanks, Peter!

Like adamstrange, I'd like to say thanks to RHG and his family for a wonderful evening. I was in complete awe over the books that everyone brought and am sincerely indebted to all of you. What I saw and heard will surely save me from many mistakes going forward.

I'd particularly thank everyone who showed up promptly as agreed so the rest of us didn't have to wait for them. I will follow Mr. Strange's example and not mention names.

> One collector brought some lame 50s cr@p but we pressed through them quickly enough that they didn't spoil the evening.

To be completely honest, I think you are being way too tough on him. I was amazed (and very thankful!) that he had dared to bring these rare treasures along to share with the rest of us!! Clearly showed that, all his knowledge aside, he was also a very kind and generous person.

I owe all of you a glimpse at my own humble collection. I'll make an effort to make up for that whenever there is an opportunity, especially after I get my original art back from the Barks exhibit in Austria.

tb

First off, great report Adam, although perhaps I should point out that this thread is crying out for pictures! Would love to have seen the books and one book in particular, but new deals and an adventure in negotiation, including having to go through a bunch of contracts in 26 hours, prevented me from making it to SD this year.

So this year he invited a small group of handsome and intelligent collectors for dinner and a show-n-tell at a time that would allow for a more relaxed visit. They weren't able to come so the bar was lowered to allow Bedrock, Esquire, Nearmint, Sacentaur, tb, and I to qualify.

That`s not lowering the bar, that`s stomping on it, cutting it up and burning it, scattering the ashes in a hidden cave and then banning the word "bar" from ever being used again. :baiting:

Finally, filled with good food, camaraderie, and aesthetic wonderment, we returned to our cars and headed back to our lodging, reflecting quietly on the wonders we had seen and the gracious hospitality of our host.

:applause:

wow, outstanding time must have been had by all...I am now in deep denial that I had to miss this most glorious occasion, but if a similar rendezvous is planned for next year, I will not let previous plans interfer!...

more than a little jealous :)

gator

Sounded like a great time. It's always fun to "show & tell" in person with other like-minded collectors & I know Peter is a great host. If this becomes an annual I'd sure like to join in! :insane:

West

Bedrock's piece-de-resistance was his new favorite book (it involves a certain jungle character) and it was amazing to see in person. It's not the greatest art or the greatest coloring but when you look at the book you are transported. Even through the CGC holder it glowed. :cloud9:

:o Central Valley Single Series 20!!! (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

Jeff

Yes, a good time was had by all. At least this time I didn't get lost (haha).

tb was the proverbial kid in the candy store - as beautiful comic after comic passed through his hands, his glowing eyes doubled the illumination in the room.

The blizzard of incredible books almost overwhelms one's senses. This was my second time through the Elysian Fields, and it was pure heaven. :cloud9:

A memorable reminder of why I love this hobby so much...

STEVE

Bedrock's piece-de-resistance was his new favorite book (it involves a certain jungle character) and it was amazing to see in person. It's not the greatest art or the greatest coloring but when you look at the book you are transported. Even through the CGC holder it glowed. :cloud9:

:o Central Valley Single Series 20!!! (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

Jeff

Yup - maybe adamstrange will grace us with a scan of what I thought was the perfect companion book to the SS20... :baiting:

Ever had one of those nights where a bunch of acquaintances became friends? That's exactly what that night felt like to me, and it was absolutely the highlight of my convention.

I do feel that it's a shame that Peter has spent so much money on pre-hero books that his family is forced to live in squalor. The house couldn't have been more than 10,000 square feet, and the pool wasn't even Olympic-size. They're so dirt poor that apparently they can't even afford a mailbox. It's no wonder that no one in his family has a pound of extra weight on them, as the backyard is so far from their kitchen that I burned more calories going back for another slice of pizza than I gained by eating it. Such deplorable conditions.

Everyone's books were wonderful, even that 1950s crapola. I think my favorite moments of the evening were the few times we stepped from the dining room to the hallway(the lighting was better there) and peeked over Peter's shoulder as he paged through one of his especially beautiful raw books. From afar, you'd think we were getting our first peek at the most beautiful baby ever born(and I only saw Peter's hands quiver once, and mine would have too if I were holding that particular book!).

If the comic book Gods smile down upon me, and bless me with an invitation to return next year, then I will certainly bring a box of goodies to (hopefully) entertain those in attendance. I'd love to get a chance to see the portions of Peter's collection that we didn't get to this year.

Thanks again, Peter, for a wonderful evening. You and your family are very gracious hosts, and it was a pleasure to view your museum-quality collection. (worship)

Jeff

Jeff

Yup - maybe adamstrange will grace us with a scan of what I thought was the perfect companion book to the SS20... :baiting:

My curiousity is definately piqued! hm

Jeff

Actually, the club is completely made up of virgins. :banana:

Not any more :acclaim:

This year was the most fun I have had at Comic-Con in a long time. And the big get together at RHG's was THE reason. What a beautiful place for a bunch of nerds to geek out on funnybooks. Peter, your hospitality was second to none. And your books were even better. Keeping in the spirit of previous posts I must say that I got a [font:Arial Black]jumbo[/font] just looking at them. Getting to spend social time with everyone away from the show was a treat. If Houston ever has a show that is worth travelling to I would love to return the favor.

(BTW, adam, when do we get to see the doctored pictures?)

(BTW, adam, when do we get to see the doctored pictures?)

No one sent them to me. I had held back posting thinking that someone would.

Some of the 50s cr@p that we viewed:

OFF21-1.jpg

Marvel_40_11.jpg

Astonishing39.jpg

SSWS43.jpg

HOM51.jpg

Submariner10.jpg

StarSpangled129.jpg

AmazAdult9.jpg

Planet70v2.jpg