• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AUGUST HERITAGE AUCTION...............ONCE AGAIN SOME AMAZING PRICES REALISED...

57 posts in this topic

Can't speak for CGC so I don't know for certain what was behind their decision, but as an active collector of high grade Silver Age comics, I wouldn't support a pedigree designation for a collection that has the Marvel keys in only mid-grade condition.

As I recall, the same argument was applied by CGC when Harry broached the subject of a pedigree designation for his Sid's books.

Bob, were they all bought off the newsstand by Janowicz, particularly the earlier issues? For some reason I had the impression that he started buying a bit later and then acquired the earliest issues second-hand.

You guys are asking me questions about this collection as if I know more about it than what Heritage published in their previous Sig Auction catalog, but I don't.

According to the Heritage blurb, a young Janowicz bought Gold and Atom age material second-hand, but had to leave alot or all of it behind when the family moved. He then took up Silver age collecting with a passion - the FF#1 certainly has the whiteness preservation and page quality to suggest it was an original purchase, but only the folks from Heritage or a member of the Janowicz family could answer for certain.

Hi, I just signed up on the Collectors Society and I have to tell you that I won the FF1 (and it sounds like I just BARELY won it). In my 30+ years of collection, it is the whitest copy I've ever seen...both pages and cover. I was poised and ready to proxy bid $20k (if required) knowing the rarity of this book. The Northland copy (CGC 8.0) just went for $20k+ on ComicLink and I've compared the two scans.

I called and got the CGC grader's notes on my FF1. CGC was tough on this book. Book in hand (and I unslabbed it), it is an Overstreet 8.0 without question (it is what it is). Tight, supple, very fresh, and no transfer stain (which accounts for the white cover). Being graded, CGC has provided me peace of mind that the book, in fact, is unrestored and naturally white. Unslabbing the book and placing it in a roomy GA mylar sleeve allows me to enjoy the book periodically.

Finally, to all interested, I was able to locate Mr. Janowicz in NY via a long email search. He is 59 and a pleasure to converse with. The FF1 was purchased at the corner store when he was 13, stored ever since, and his personal favorite. His father just passed away and he decided to sell off his collection using Heritage as the auction house. I've seen pedigrees come and go the past 30+ years in the hobby, but JJ's books deserve our applause.

Hope this helps some to all.

Do you, or anyone have a link to that auction (if possible -the FF1,) Or do you Mr.Peewee22 have a pic? Id love to see the image/pic of this comic since it seems to be of a very solid/high grade (regardless of cgc grade). Thank you and congratulations

Apparently you have to create a website to upload images and I've not done that yet. However, if you'll go to Heritage Auctions website (www.ha.com) and go to the archives, the lot number of the FF1 is 45157. You'll need to be logged in to do this. If you are not a member, it takes no time to register and log in. There's no financial commitment to register.

Take a look at many of the books recently sold at HA.

Much thanks MasterChief

Outstanding looking comic right there. I am shocked looking at it and seeing it only graded a 6.5? Did you get the grader notes Peewee22? There must be something that can not be seen (via pic) that has this comic graded at 6.5. My guess/opinion from this pic, is a solid 8.0 maybe even higher

BTW those pages (PQ) that I see from the pic is incredible. You got yourself a heck of a book. congrats

Outstanding looking comic right there. I am shocked looking at it and seeing it only graded a 6.5? Did you get the grader notes Peewee22? There must be something that can not be seen (via pic) that has this comic graded at 6.5. My guess/opinion from this pic, is a solid 8.0 maybe even higher

Looks to be a bunch of spine stresses and some wear on the edges. Structurally CGC may be correct but they dont grade books on eye appeal which this book has and then some. But then again we already knew that otherwise there wouldnt be 9.6s out there with horrible miscuts etc.

WOW!!!!! :o That is the whitest cleanest looking Fantastic Four 1 I've ever

seen and thank you so much for sharing that Beauty with us. (worship) (worship) (worship)

And welcome to the boards PeeWee. :hi:

Maybe one day you could please post a scan of that Gem

if you've cracked it out of the slab. :wishluck:

fay

damn u to hell Pee WEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding

i was the underbidder!

but if u were prepared to bid 20k!! i had no chance- my max bid was $13k and i tohught NO ONE< just NO ONE would be prepared to pay more than that

i totally agree- its WAY WAY better than a 6.5, WHITEST ff 1 i HAVE EVER seen, and whiter than the cgc 9.6

and with these Janowicz books u really have to have the book in hand to appreciate the gloss, freshness and vivid colors of htese books

congrats!!

a great book

Thanks to all, esp. MasterChief for the nice scans. Nothing worth mentioning on the grader's notes pertaining to the FF1. I assume the chip and light corner crease relegates it to the 6.5 range. Book in hand, it has the apppearance of a nice 8.0 but it is what it is. Just a nice white copy with no transfer stain. FYI, here is JJ's recent email response to me about the book and himself:

Brannon - Yes, I was the one and only owner of the Fantastic Four #1 comic that was recently auctioned through Heritage. I originally bought it at a local corner store in my neighborhood when I was 13 years old. I kept it at my Dad's house until recently when he passed and I decided to sell my comic collection.

If you bought it through Heritage, I must compliment you because I believe that the value of the book (even though it was graded) exceeds what it is. The pages are white and the book overall, having been shown to two prominent dealers (Empire Comics in Rochester and Dave Belmont, Comics Etc, in Los Angeles (while visiting here). Both have said that "this is one of the cleanest and best copies of the book they ever saw".

I was sorry to sell it, but as I am retiring soon and possibly moving with my wife to another state. I wanted to find a new home for my comics and picked Heritage Auctions which is the #1 comic auction house in my opinion.

Please keep in touch with me, send a photo of you and the book if possible. Your e-mail makes me feel connected and I am pleased that you wrote. And, Heritage is selling more of my collection so please keep a watch on that for other great books that were "one owner only".

Best regards,

Joseph Janowicz

Thanks to all, esp. MasterChief for the nice scans. Nothing worth mentioning on the grader's notes pertaining to the FF1. I assume the chip and light corner crease relegates it to the 6.5 range. Book in hand, it has the apppearance of a nice 8.0 but it is what it is. Just a nice white copy with no transfer stain. FYI, here is JJ's recent email response to me about the book and himself:

Brannon - Yes, I was the one and only owner of the Fantastic Four #1 comic that was recently auctioned through Heritage. I originally bought it at a local corner store in my neighborhood when I was 13 years old. I kept it at my Dad's house until recently when he passed and I decided to sell my comic collection.

If you bought it through Heritage, I must compliment you because I believe that the value of the book (even though it was graded) exceeds what it is. The pages are white and the book overall, having been shown to two prominent dealers (Empire Comics in Rochester and Dave Belmont, Comics Etc, in Los Angeles (while visiting here). Both have said that "this is one of the cleanest and best copies of the book they ever saw".

I was sorry to sell it, but as I am retiring soon and possibly moving with my wife to another state. I wanted to find a new home for my comics and picked Heritage Auctions which is the #1 comic auction house in my opinion.

Please keep in touch with me, send a photo of you and the book if possible. Your e-mail makes me feel connected and I am pleased that you wrote. And, Heritage is selling more of my collection so please keep a watch on that for other great books that were "one owner only".

Best regards,

Joseph Janowicz

You're welcome...and thanks for sharing that email! BTW, got any idea on how Janowicz stored his collection?

If you get anymore from-the-source information about the collection, it would be most appreciated if you could share. Thx!

Mr. Janowicz never really discussed the details. He said he stored them at his father's house (he was an only child). I assume NY has low humidity so that accounts for the nice pages in many of his books. We know mylar wasn't available. The only comic bag company in those days was Robert Bell if JJ used any. Most of his books have floating vibrant colors, whiteness and that rare ultra freshness to them. I'll see if I can find out additional details.

If I were JJ at age 13 and checking out at the local corner store in Aug of '61, the check-out clerk would rub his (or her) forehead and say, "...so want you all FIVE copies of FF1 on my spinner rack?". My reply to him (or her) would be, "while you're over there, just pack the whole damn spinner rack up! "

Congrats on your purchase of this stunning book! :acclaim:

CGC is ridiculously harsh (in my opinion) on minor Marvel chipping and tiny bindery tears (both production defects), while paying essentially no attention to miswraps, miscuts, and poor staple placements (also production defects). :sumo:

Congratulation on the purchase – beautiful original owner book!

Here's the images from the auction...

FF1_front.jpg

FF1_back.jpg

Nice book. 6.5 with white pages and nice cover gloss. And numerous imperfections that keep it from being any better.

It's not a 7.0 or 8.0.

CGC got it right.