• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps a change?

38 posts in this topic

Now if Marvel could just stop making 87 variants for every semi-important issue, I would be happy.

:gossip: Avoid excessive variants by buying DCs.

As far as advice goes, I can't offer anything beyond what's been said here. Absorb the wisdom of the board members, ask questions, and have fun. We've all made bad purchases, but after a while here, the ratio of good to bad tilts strongly in favor of the good.

I'm new here, but I've been collecting more than 20 years. I still learn new stuff here all the time. I love a good argument, but I'm not big on fights, my advice would be to remember that there is a difference. An argument is a logical, reasoned series of statements used to prove or disprove a point. A fight is emotional and personal. Also, it's unlikely that anyone will actually change their mind in either case. This hobby is about 90% opinion based.

PMs are good for limiting public embarrassment while getting questions answered.

Todd McFarlane has always been a jerk in person, at least when I've seen him. I love his art, the old stuff anyway, but I've never liked the man.

And yeah, Marvel are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons with the variants. I like sketch covers, so I picked up the Civil War variants for those. Other than that, my rule is to pick the one that I like.

Oh yeah! If you want to know what Moderns to invest in, ask me what I'm buying! (thumbs u

And then stay away from it. I can't pick a hot book to save my life! :(

lol

Remember, it's not a competition here. There's been great advice given already. Just because you don't own a Top Census CGC book or collection doesn't mean you can't add to the discussions.

Stick around, mate! Read up & feel free to ask lots of questions.

If someone says "we've answered that a million times", who cares.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forums! (thumbs u

Good call, P-5! :applause:

I've been on here for almost 1yr. and still feel like :shy:... yet, speak intelligently :baiting:, choose graemlins wisely :P and enjoy :popcorn:!

Lots of great professionals and experienced individuals amongst these hallowed digital halls... and watch for the Aug. 18-19th Virtual Comic Con (VCC) too, for some swell deals from some great folks! :headbang:

PS: That is a sweet shot of the Tron CPU as your avatar too! NICE!

I've visited several comic-centric online forums, and this is one of the best (and most knowledgeable). I've only found one other comic forum that held my interest, but this is a place that is chock full of knowledge and members with a sense of humor and a sense of community. Many, many, many other online comics forums are so full of LOLS, ROFLCOPTERS and LOLLERSK8RS that it's nearly impossible to have an intelligent conversation for more than about 13 seconds (or however long it takes you to make a post).

I started collecting back in January of 1980 when my Dad bought me Amazing Spider-Man 200 and it's been all downhill from there. I was discouraged by the glut of the mid-90's and left the hobby (mostly) until Marvel Zombies came out and I picked up where I left off. Whereas before I was not really too cognizant of condition (i.e.: VG was ok by me), I am now looking to replace my lower grade books with some higher grade ones......this is a philosophy that I believe I picked up from lurking here for a few months.

This is a fun hobby, and this site is a great place to learn a whole shatload of stuff.

I've also learned that it's a great place to buy comics....dammit.

Seank said: Avoid excessive variants by buying DCs.

I think I am going to have that put on a t-shirt.

The new Thor series that started, for #1 there are 5 variants that I know of...five! One of them is a zombie variant, what do zombies have to do with Thor? What's next, vampire variant? bondage variant? Bin Laden variant?

The new Thor series that started, for #1 there are 5 variants that I know of...five! One of them is a zombie variant, what do zombies have to do with Thor? What's next, vampire variant? bondage variant? Bin Laden variant?

Bin Laden Zombie Variant :takeit:

Bin Laden Zombie Variant :takeit:

Especially if he's surrounded by paratroppers! :cloud9:

This place is about the best forum there is for comic collecting. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly people with interesting topics. There can be a bit too much of a focus on grade and money for my tastes, but there are always other topics and vast archives of informative threads.

The Comic Book Resources forums is my favorite place for modern issues talk and the posters there don't get quite as irritating as those on Newsarama. The Marvel Masterworks Resource has the best forum for collected editions. It can sometimes get bogged down into production issues but it's a lot of fun (also great resource for comic binding). The Comics Price Guide forum is also fun to check out - it's kind of CGC Lite ;)

Hope that's of help,

-Bob

I'm sort of in the same boat, as I have just gotten back into collecting as well. All I can say is just read and absorb as much knowledge here as you can. I've been reading these boards for awhile now, but only registered and made my first post a couple of days ago. From what I can tell, the folks here seem like a friendly lot.