• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Price List

14 posts in this topic

question for the GA collectors. i received this list from someone trying to sell their GA

collection. do these prices seem fair? is there anything on this list i should jump on?

thanks you!!!!!

here's the list:

COMIC BOOKS

All Golden Age comics in 6.0 (Fine) to 8.0 (Very Fine) condition: very minor wear or tear at corners and edges, tight spine, cream/tan papers (a few with light brown edges), supple paper, flat covers (no bend), slight spine roll on a few, no torn or missing pages, no color break, some cover gloss, no restoration or repair work. Prices are from 2006 Overstreet Guide.

Genre: Superhero

1) Captain American, V. 1, No. 64, Oct 1947, Complete Photo Story Corp, $1,181.00

2) Wonder Woman, No. 25, Sept-Oct 1947, A Superman DC Publication, $556.00

3) Daredevil: The Greatest in Name Comics, V. 1, No. 44, Sept 1947, Lev Gleason, $146.00

4) Boy Comics, V. 1, No. 36, Oct 1947, Lev Gleason (slight wear bottom front cover), $115.00

Genre: Comedy

5) Archie: The Mirth of a Nation, V. 1, No. 28, Sept-Oct 1947, An Archie Magazine, $262.00

6) Suzie, V. 1, No. 58, Aug 1947, An Archie Magazine, $62.00

7) Hedy DeVine: Beauty and the Beach, V. 1, No. 23, Oct 1947, A Dell Magazine, $101.00

8) Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, No. 70, Aug 1947, A Dell Magazine, $63.00

9) Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, No. 71, Sept 1947, A Dell Magazine, $63.00

10) Goofy, No. 22, Oct 1947, $62.00

11) Giggle Comics, No. 45, Sept 1947, $44.00

12) “Cookie” The Funniest Kid in Town, No. 8, Aug-Sept 1947, $47.00

13) Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories, V. 1, No. 11, Aug 1947, Walt Disney Productions, $531.00

14) Our Gang Comics, V. 1, No. 38, Sept 1947, $58.00

15) Gay Comics, V. 1, No. 29, Fall 1947, Comic Magazine Corp. $167.00

Genre: Crime

16) Crime Does Not Pay: All True Crime Stories, V. 1, No. 54, Aug 1947, Lev Gleason, $94.00

17) Crime Does Not Pay: All True Crime Stories, V. 1, No. 55, Sept 1947, Lev Gleason, $94.00

Genre: Adventure

18) Popular Comics, V.1, No. 139, Sept 1947, $57.00

19) Tick Tock Tales, V. 2, No. 21, Sept 1947, $40.00

20) Egbert, No. 7, Autumn 1947, $42.00

21) Animal Antics, No. 10, Sept-Oct 1947, A Superman DC Publication, $89.00

22) All Top Comics, No. 7, Sept 1947, $52.00

23) Cosmo Cat, No. 9, Sept 1947, $56.00

24) Big Shot, V. 8, No. 80, Aug 1947, Chas V. McAdam, $72.00

25) Sparky Watts: World’s Strongest Funny Man, No. 6, 1947, Publications Enterprises, $56.00

26) Barnyard Comics, No. 14, Oct 1947, Better Publications of Canada, $50.00

Monstro,

I'll try to be as PC as I can with my comments. The asking price on these books total about $4,000, and 98% of the books listed would be REAL hard to resell at the prices that are listed here, even if the books are high grade, if you decided to sell down the road.

Most of these comics are cold now, and will probably stay that way.( and therefore are typically bought only if heavily discounted...which these do not appear to be ) If you like these titles and this collection --- great ---go for it. If you have an investment concern and want your collection to grow in value.....this would not be where you would want to sink $4k.(IMO).

Hope I said this in a non-offensive way.....just looking out for you!

Steve

Soneone once said that all plays start off brilliant but decline in quality with the fifth word, right after "Act One, Scene One."

The list you posted declined immediately after, "All Golden Age comics in 6.0 (Fine) to 8.0 (Very Fine) condition." I'd be suspicious.

Steve,

Absolutely no offence taken at all. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something real nice on the list.

I was actually going to see if anyone on these boards we’re interested in anything on here.

I found the add on Craig’s List.

Just for reference here are 2 scans. If anyone wants to see anymore I can ask her.

And thanks all for the info!!!!!!!

sorry for the huge scans. don't have time to resize here at work.

Auction1_013.jpg

Auction1_001.jpg

Monstro,

I'll try to be as PC as I can with my comments. The asking price on these books total about $4,000, and 98% of the books listed would be REAL hard to resell at the prices that are listed here, even if the books are high grade, if you decided to sell down the road.

Most of these comics are cold now, and will probably stay that way.( and therefore are typically bought only if heavily discounted...which these do not appear to be ) If you like these titles and this collection --- great ---go for it. If you have an investment concern and want your collection to grow in value.....this would not be where you would want to sink $4k.(IMO).

Hope I said this in a non-offensive way.....just looking out for you!

Steve

Monstro;

I would also echo Steve's comments here.

In addition, based upon your first two scans if they are an example of the entire collection, I believe they are much closer to the Fine range if that, as opposed to the VF range. As a result, you might have to reevaluate your price estimates if you are planning to proceed. hm

I would pay about 1K for the list, most of the amount for the Cap 64, assuming the grade is correct and it appears to be priced at VF range. I agree with Steve your money could be better spent a 4K, you could always ask for front and back scans of the better books, then make and offer.

My guess is it will be one of the few, because of the way the ad is listed.

I have become very jaded to ads out side of controlled buying areas, and even Ebay can be challanging.

Just my .02

Good Luck

Paul

That Cap is nice but not VF nice. The rusty staple is the real downer. With the foxing on the Popular comic, I would wonder about overall moisture issues.

Cream to tan pages, rusty staples, foxing, staining , water spots, to name a few.

Pretty much all the value is in the Cap book and the next 4 books plus the WDCS 11. I'd echo $1000 as a total value. Probably $1500 sold individually on ebay.

Ed

Ah, the familiar list from "Elizabeth". I'm glad to see some actual scans. Do you know whether she joined this forum? I suggested it.

I advised her elsewhere that her asking prices were much too optimistic; i.e., Overstreet Golden Age prices are high for the mid to low grades and low for very high grades. She's probably be best off getting the top few books slabbed and selling off the rest with low starting bids out ebay just to get them out of her hair. I'd buy them because I like oddball stuff, but low to mid grade Looney Tunes for $60? Not gonna happen!

Jack

That Cap is nice but not VF nice. The rusty staple is the real downer. With the foxing on the Popular comic, I would wonder about overall moisture issues.

Cream to tan pages, rusty staples, foxing, staining , water spots, to name a few.

Pretty much all the value is in the Cap book and the next 4 books plus the WDCS 11. I'd echo $1000 as a total value. Probably $1500 sold individually on ebay.

Ed