• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the worst comic "investment" you ever made?

148 posts in this topic

I have never made an investment mistake because I do not invest in comics. I buy what I like and do not think about how much money I will get for them in the future.

Buying to sell is a different story.. but I usually get rid of those pretty quickly.

Yeah, take the high road, puh-leaze! :boo:

TOS 40 in NM for $200-300 from Fantasia collectibles back in the early 80's.....

They never shipped it to me...said it mistakenly got shipped to Arkansas instead of Alaska.....said it got damaged.....

Then it took about 3-4 months to get a refund after considerable complaining.

When you're in High School, that really stunk.

Two reasons why this was my worst deal....

I didn't buy any more HG books for many many years....and missed out on many great items.

If the book was NM (as I hoped it was, maybe unrestored, but unlikely based upon the history of Fantasia), then that would have been a killer book at the time.

Maybe this was my best deal?

The few times I find a collection where there are non comic related items and buy them without knowing anything about them I get hosed. I have always lost money whenever I do that.

A large lot of baseball cards from the 70's - I knew the 80's and 90s were basically worthless but who knew the market had basically plummeted even for 70's stuff.

Some old lead soldiers and a 30s Monopoly game as well as some other 40's games - You'd think they be worth a mint and they aren't.

2 large boxes of 90's Marvel, DC and Star Trek figures. Even at $3 a piece I doubt I'll get a return.

Two boxes of 50s to 80s Olympics memorabelia including 1980's Russian stuff. Garbage.

Its funny, each of these instances the comics were the lowest valued stuff and since I had made a trip to buy the comics I felt like "why not" and took a chance on buying the esoteric stuff since I wouldn't be able to make another trip. The comics ALWAYS worked out and the other stuff never did. You'd think I would learn.

I have never made an investment mistake because I do not invest in comics. I buy what I like and do not think about how much money I will get for them in the future.

Buying to sell is a different story.. but I usually get rid of those pretty quickly.

:shrug:

:shrug:
:whatev:

25 copies of Omega Men #1. Has a series ever started off so well, to then plummet in quality so quickly? :frustrated:

I agree. I never speculated on the book, but I thought the first few issues were great, and then WTF?

25 copies of Omega Men #1. Has a series ever started off so well, to then plummet in quality so quickly? :frustrated:

Yeah, this just reminded me of my stupid investments in Omega Men 1-10 and Green Lantern 141-143 (1st appearance). I had at least 10 copies of most of them. What a waste.

And lets not forget my foolish investments in early issues of Batman and the Outsiders, another loser series.

Ugh so many books, some i still have, X-men # 281, Spawn #6( 1st Overkill) and a bunch of Valiants just after Unity. Don't even get me started on independents, i must have almost all # 1's.

Buying 30 copies of each variant of X-Men #1 doh!

Not a total waste. You can shred and use as packing material.

The thought has crossed my mind a few times. To top it off even further i sent many into CGC and lost more money when I could only get $12-14 per slab on ebay.

To quote on of the greatest lines ever "Stupid is as stupid does".

I just don't know why I bought so much modern krap. I was only a teenage at the time but still........

It was like pre-2000 Nasdaq stocks, we all bought into the hype of the hot book.

Oh how I wish I had instead spent that money on true high grade 9.4+ key issue 1968-1975 comics like Green Lantern 76, Iron Man 1, Batman 232, 234, 237, Spiderman 50, 90, 100, 121, 122, 129, X-men GS 1, 94, 100, Hulk 181, House Of Secrets 92, etc, etc, etc

These were all available in 1980-1985 for $2 to $50 in NM. If I had bought those instead of the modern krap, the comics would be worth over a million now.

Ah, hindsight...............