• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Animal Funnies

18 posts in this topic

I've been on these boards for a more than a year now and I still haven't figured out GA collectors. I understand the ones who collect Human Torch Marvel Mystery, Pre-Code Horror, and War comics. I just can't seem to figure out why collectors pay high prices for GA Animal Funnies, or regular funnies. Thes comics can't be that hilarious. Also, If these comics were published in say the 90's they probably would have little or no following and would sell fr 2.00 dollars in NM. Now, I'm not trying to be mean or hate on anyone who collects them I was just wondering if someone who collects them could clue me in.

Like Donald Duck or Uncle Scrooge? Those are some of the best art and stories ever done and they are probably still the biggest comic sellers world wide.

And there's always been a following for the big cartoon characters like Bugs or Taz.

There are also quite a few of the oddball characters that actually have vastly more enjoyable art and story than most of what is published today. These were often written and drawn by talented animators who moonlighted doing comics to supplement their income from the day job. Plenty of them have charm and humor in abundance to the point where they'll make me laugh or put a smile on my face. In the interest of full disclosure I will admit to finding work of many modern artists (Frank Miller springs to mind) to be relentlessly tiresome and downbeat. 300 was good but much of the rest is just not my thing.

I do subscribe to the rule that 90% of everything is cr@p so I'm not giving a universal endorsement of all funny animals, but then I wouldn't give one to superheros either.

I've been on these boards for a more than a year now and I still haven't figured out GA collectors. I understand the ones who collect Human Torch Marvel Mystery, Pre-Code Horror, and War comics. I just can't seem to figure out why collectors pay high prices for GA Animal Funnies, or regular funnies. Thes comics can't be that hilarious. Also, If these comics were published in say the 90's they probably would have little or no following and would sell fr 2.00 dollars in NM. Now, I'm not trying to be mean or hate on anyone who collects them I was just wondering if someone who collects them could clue me in.

I didn't get it either until I started reading Barks' duck stories earlier this year. They are great fun and a neat slice of life from the 40s/50s.

I am mostly a cover collector and focus on Funny animal books and there are some funny animal covers that are pretty good, even beyond the Walt Kelly and Carl Barks masterpieces. Plus, I really think the 40's superhero stories are basically unreadable if you take away the sense of history behind them. Again, I think Walt Kelly and Carl Barks speak for themselves and if you can't stand them, I'd suggest that is a matter of taste where you are definitely in the minority.

Outside of those two artists/writers, take a look at some early Mighty Mouse books, Raggedy Ann and Andy, or early New Funnies when Andy Panda ran around with humans. I'll grant these are pretty slim pickings and a lot of the collectibility is basic kitch similar to the romance books. The Timely's Horror and War books have killer covers and sometimes good stories, especially compared to the DC's and Fawcetts of the post War era. With a few exceptions those Batmans, Supermans, Captain Marvel, and Wonder Womans genereally sucked (take away the historical aspect). Then again, outside of Barks and Kelly, the funny animal books really slide in quality post 1950. Here's an example of the Bugs books I collect. The first one is a really bada$$ cover anyway you look at it. The second one, not so much. Also, an LB Cole cover of a basically unreadable comic on the interior. This book is more a matter of taste but you can't deny it has good reason to be collected.

bb88.jpg

bugs30.jpg

animal.jpg

Ahhhh so cute. What a soft airborne ranger you are.

Pretty sure thats a Kelly cover (not sure why its not noted) and you'd have to be half blind not to at least appreciate a cover like that.

I focus only on "Funny Animal" books that add to my collection of GA flag covers. I find the covers especially playful and entertaining-- in contrast to the many flag covers with Schomburg war scenes and iconic DC images. Some examples:

390183208_3a53a3c360_m.jpg1011301888_67a09e6fd2_m.jpg293544923_9bf5088238_m.jpg1051660778_e4c14678ee_m.jpg

GE

I've read virtually every genre of comic from the GA/SA/BA and there's no question in my mind that by far the best comics published in the '40s and '50s are humor titles. Carl Barks is the greatest comic storyteller of the GA IMO and Walt Kelly is not far behind. Archie was outstanding during much of that period as were the Timely humor titles like Hedy and Cindy.

There are great covers on the Timely hero books, but the interior story telling is usually very poor. The best GA hero books in terms of readablility are titles like The Spirit and Plastic Man. A lot of Simon and Kirby's work is also readable (which extends to their non-hero stuff such as Young Romance).

If you haven't read the Barks Duck adventures, I strongly recommend trying them. Frozen Gold, A Christmas for Shacktown and Luck of the North are especially good IMO. Then read a random GA Human Torch story and see which has the better storytelling...

I'm under the impression Cap FFreak is not counting the Barks and Kelly books. The Fawcett and Timely funny animals are pretty bad even compared to the superhero stories. Either that or he's simply ruffling feathers.

Also, are Archie and many of the Teen cartoon books considered Funny Animal? I generally lump them in there but there is a difference. In general, the Gad awful books are the cat and mouse books making a weak attempt to copy Walt Disney.

kk1.jpg

If you buy 'em to read, there is a lot of nostalgia. They tie in very nicely with a fondness for cartoons as well.

Don Rosa explained to me at the forum dinner in SD that many of the funny animal books got their start as movie shorts before feature films. That is why before the Fox and Crow got their own book, they started out in Real Screen Funnies.

btw - I'm anxiously awaiting the new Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew to launch this fall.

The Fawcett and Timely funny animals are pretty bad even compared to the superhero stories.

except for the Mighty Mouse exemption. The actual worst in Funny Animals are the books based on all other Terry-Toons characters.

Personally, I do not put Teen book with the Funny Animals. Here are some more that I like, even though as ft88 mentions, those Star books interiors can be tedious.

I adhere to the AStrange's school of thoughts. It is very difficult to draw an effective funny animal story and if someone can, it's generally great art. Having the capability to pencil a wide range of expression on a very simple body structure with few lines is an accomplishment in my book and a lot of these guys could do that in spades back in the 40's due to their animation background. What's more, those comics can be wacky since they also tend to be gag men at heart and punch lines and punches fly regularly in those pages.

41934-FC103.jpg.3298b6192e221387f899c63d4450c3de.jpg

41935-FC132BugsBunny.jpg.11d5a35ae268ee2eb02e2dcc724ff0a1.jpg

41936-FC142BugsBunny.jpg.cc719c14c8906e3ffd8d194fb6334f88.jpg

41938-FC164.jpg.50e6d47a272fbc6c049edb887284bfd4.jpg

41939-FC170-SpookIsland.jpg.f72376de0458f9ce2872bdae4df5ba4e.jpg

41940-Giggle82s.jpg.c8b6eb15252eb936c3a503d50e5fe053.jpg

41941-HolidayComics5s.jpg.e2a0456bc28a2b7bb9ae0559fd39116f.jpg

I really think the 40's superhero stories are basically unreadable if you take away the sense of history behind them.

Actually, I've found the later Detective comics featuring The Joker and The Penguin to be quite enjoyable.

The Fawcett and Timely funny animals are pretty bad even compared to the superhero stories.

except for the Mighty Mouse exemption. The actual worst in Funny Animals are the books based on all other Terry-Toons characters.

Personally, I do not put Teen book with the Funny Animals. Here are some more that I like, even though as ft88 mentions, those Star books interiors can be tedious.

I adhere to the AStrange's school of thoughts. It is very difficult to draw an effective funny animal story and if someone can, it's generally great art. Having the capability to pencil a wide range of expression on a very simple body structure with few lines is an accomplishment in my book and a lot of these guys could do that in spades back in the 40's due to their animation background. What's more, those comics can be wacky since they also tend to be gag men at heart and punch lines and punches fly regularly in those pages.

While I was indexing Toytown Comics 1 for GCD, I wrote a synopsis/review for another group. L.B. Cole cover and page 1 attached. It looks like he did some interior art, but with lots of lesser assistants toward the end. The story is utterly surreal -- what look like major plot points just disappear; characters come and go. It almost has the "logic" of a dream (or a Kanigher Metal Men or Wonder Woman story). The lead character has almost no redeeming characteristics and justice doesn't triumph in the end. I don't know who wrote it. Maybe Cole and his studio just made it up as they went along. Worth reading!

Jack

41950-ToyTown01a.jpg

41949-ToyTown1p1.jpg

dodo & the Frog rule... :sumo:

and don't forget blackie bear and the rest of the gang!

my 4 year old loves me to read the Funny Stuff books to him...

great stuff,

gator