• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Enhancements: What's Coming?

18 posts in this topic

Based on my somewhat lengthy response in MK's thread on second prints, I wanted to take a dedicated post to ask the folks at CGC:

"What is coming in the near future in terms of registry enhancements that will allow for more focussed goals or allow the collector to build a set more specific to collecting goals?"

I care! I'd actually send more books to get graded if I actually had a set to put them in.

hey

I saw a couple of speed comics in Chicago (I think they were speed) that had some trooper covers, do you have them on your list?

gator

I care! I'd actually send more books to get graded if I actually had a set to put them in.

hey

I saw a couple of speed comics in Chicago (I think they were speed) that had some trooper covers, do you have them on your list?

gator

Yup, on my list. Speed Comics #24 & 32 have trooper covers. I already have #32 just looking for #24 now.

Based on my somewhat lengthy response in MK's thread on second prints, I wanted to take a dedicated post to ask the folks at CGC:

"What is coming in the near future in terms of registry enhancements that will allow for more focussed goals or allow the collector to build a set more specific to collecting goals?"

I thought they were going to do a thing where you could have a special set, like based on artist or pedigree?

It would also be cool to see a set based on the Picture Frames or the 52 pagers.

I thought they were going to do a thing where you could have a special set, like based on artist or pedigree?

It would also be cool to see a set based on the Picture Frames or the 52 pagers.

Bottom line is: There are more ways for collectors to collect than CGC can serve up...that's why it is a good idea to make it more flexible for the collector to build these sets...I think the problem may be how do you level the field so everyone can compete?

Anywho, the point of the thread is to see what's in store...apparently I jumped the shark.

Bottom line is: There are more ways for collectors to collect than CGC can serve up...that's why it is a good idea to make it more flexible for the collector to build these sets...I think the problem may be how do you level the field so everyone can compete?

Anywho, the point of the thread is to see what's in store...apparently I jumped the shark.

Level the palying field? What do you mean Sterling?

I'm sure one of the inadvertent side effects of having collectors come up with their own sets/set types is that when CGC comes around at award time, the likelihood that there are multiple collectors of that niche set is probably minimal.

For instance, how do you judge a set that only has one competing set?

It would make for some interesting views, but the "level playing field" we have now for set competition could be in jeaporday.

I'm sure one of the inadvertent side effects of having collectors come up with their own sets/set types is that when CGC comes around at award time, the likelihood that there are multiple collectors of that niche set is probably minimal.

?

It would make for some interesting views, but the "level playing field" we have now for set competition could be in jeaporday.

They dont give out awards for every set either Sterling.

For example, there are +/- 10 Spectre sets, none with more than 2 books in each set (of a 10 book run) and there are no winners.

So the argument of

For instance, how do you judge a set that only has one competing set
is null. They just dont give an award. Simple enough.

Seriously, why do you consider the playing field level now? For once, I am not being a smart :censored: .

I think I'm being misunderstood. My point was...a set is very rigidly defined...so those that compete use that set and battle it out.

If the collector could "make up" their own set...it would basically be awkward from a competition standpoint...as there would be many "1 of a kind" set. My "level playing field" comment was more a reflection of how CGC would grade these sets than anything else. Arex's point is valid here too...I was unaware that certain sets are inelgible from a competition standpoint.

More thinking out loud than anything else.

Seriously, why do you consider the playing field level now? For once, I am not being a smart :censored: .

I think I'm being misunderstood. My point was...a set is very rigidly defined...so those that compete use that set and battle it out.

If the collector could "make up" their own set...it would basically be awkward from a competition standpoint...as there would be many "1 of a kind" set. My "level playing field" comment was more a reflection of how CGC would grade these sets than anything else. Arex's point is valid here too.

In addition to allowing each collector to define their own set, CGC should distinguish specific sets as "competitive" sets. That way, collectors can compete on "level terms", as you mentioned earlier in just those sets but at the same time everyone can cater to their own collection. This would make it easier on CGC's side of things when determining standings since they only need to look at the "competitive" sets.

My 2c

If the collector could "make up" their own set...it would basically be awkward from a competition standpoint...as there would be many "1 of a kind" set. My "level playing field" comment was more a reflection of how CGC would grade these sets than anything else. Arex's point is valid here too.

In addition to allowing each collector to define their own set, CGC should distinguish specific sets as "competitive" sets. That way, collectors can compete on "level terms", as you mentioned earlier in just those sets but at the same time everyone can cater to their own collection. This would make it easier on CGC's side of things when determining standings since they only need to look at the "competitive" sets.

My 2c

The card guys do something very similar to this. I dont know enough about it, but from hanging out in the card forum some, it seems that PSA allows people to build thier own sets just to display certain cards.

Like one guy, iirc, has a HoF set that earns no points or contends for no award, but is displayed none the less.

Arex

• Administrator

We are in the process of evaluating our projects list now (for all of the companies under the CCG umbrella) and I'm hopeful that the next large web project on deck will be functionality for custom comics registry sets. When I have a firm idea about the timeframe I will let you know.

I imagine that the custom sets for comics will work much like they do for our existing program for coins which we call Signature Sets. Obviously we would need a different name for comics since the term 'signature sets' already has meaning for comic collectors. However, for the purposes of this post, please bear with me as I refer to Signature Sets.

Signature Sets are created and populated completely by the user and are not competitive. This means they will not be scored or ranked by CGC. In the coin registry, we have awards for competitive sets and we have awards for Signature Sets. We created categories for the judging of coin Signature Sets like Best Overall Siganture Set, Most Creative Signature Set, Best World Signature Set, etc.

In my opinion, the Signature Sets portion of the registry is most interesting because it is completely guided by the collectors and what they enter. For example, this is one of my favorite coin Signature Sets:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/ViewPersonalCollection.aspx?UserCollectionID=175&Tab=list

Seems like a fairly simple theme - coins with ships - but I had never seen or heard of that before. It really reflects what interests this collector and will likely inspire someone else to collect the same way.

I look forward to watching what materializes when we make this functionality available for comics.

Anyway, that is just some basic info on what we have in mind. Hope that you gives you some idea of what to expect.