• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annoying ebay sellers who cancel large comic auctions

32 posts in this topic

There seems to be a growing trend on ebay. Put a large amount of good silver age comics up for auction, take direct offers, then end the auction and sell directly. I guess they figure they save the 10% they have to pay ebay and paypal.

Here is one Thor auction I was going to bid on.

Here is another one he had 600 silver comics including FF 48. I was emailing him about the comics, even talked to his brother on the phone about the comics. They decided to end the auction because the claim they had a $3000 offer to sell directly to someone.

I guess they're going to do what they want, but technically they are violating ebay rules, and its annoying because you spend time figuring out what you want to bid, then they go pull the auction.

It seems to be happening all too frequently.

all the reason to never do business with these type of sellers, the sad thing is alot of them are on this board and at the comic cons, lets be honest, we all know what they are doing, and they can get away with it because ebay as not figured out a way to stop it.

a seller of any comic book ,knows what he wants from that comic or comics ,and there is no way he is going to take a lose, and pay ebay & paypal fees on top of it, so they jjust cancel the auction . alot of sellers, and i mean big sellers have done this on their own auction, its a no win situation

Well lets be honest...alot of people are selling a book before they put it on ebay so why should ebay be the be all and end all point for selling your property.

Ebay should accept that they can be one of many venues that you may be selling that book and adjust their competitiveness (read: fees) accordingly.

I buy other types of books alot and frequently find ebay ads,amazon ads,and abebooks ads all for the same merchandise by the same seller.

Besides, why should we let Ebay make all the rules in THEIR favour???

I have no sympathy for Ebay whatsoever. :gossip:

Just think it's a lame thing to do to existing bidders.

I agree. I'd never end an auction early if there were already bidders.

If there are no bidders and better yet, no watchers, then I wouldn't have a problem with ending an auction early.

Well lets be honest...alot of people are selling a book before they put it on ebay so why should ebay be the be all and end all point for selling your property.

Great...then find another auction/consignment site to sell your stuff. Otherwise you are wasting other people's valuable time by "advertising" the merchandise on eBay and pull it when YOU think it is convenient. No one stops to think of the legitimate bidders out there who get POd at this stuff and you loose out on business.

There's plenty of consignment sites that you can place and pull books totally free of charge...go with one of those.

This type of thing probably happens thousands of times a day and costs eBay tens of thousands of unrealized seller’s fees. Eventually fee-bay will find a way to stop it. But who does that really benefit?

I actually believe eBay will eventually implement a "cancellation fee" system.

I presume that eBay's current pricing structure takes into account the cost of "lost" revenue due to off ebay deals, but a cancellation fee would not surprise me.

It would make sense to have a cancellation fee if the auction was cancelled in the last 3 days or something like that as this is probably the highest percentage of "cancellations" that are due to an off ebay deal or a seller getting cold feet because bids aren't high enough.

I have no sympathy for Ebay whatsoever. :gossip:

Just think it's a lame thing to do to existing bidders.

I agree. I'd never end an auction early if there were already bidders.

If there are no bidders and better yet, no watchers, then I wouldn't have a problem with ending an auction early.

I agree with this. Once there is a bidder, it is totally wrong to end an auction early. And in 8 or 9 years of buying on ebay, I have never attempted to negotiate an off-line deal while the auction is running. I know it happens a lot, but it's just slimy.

If the auction ends and the item goes unsold....then it's ok.