• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA questions

20 posts in this topic

Any of you experienced OA guys see a problem with this for storage? Most of my high end pieces (what I consider high end) will end up framed, but this is for my other stuff.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/5588

Thus far, I've went with standard 4 mil Mylar, from bags unlimited, but I wanted something more compact (not a bunch of loose sheets).

Also, I have acquired a bunch of Jae Lee Dark Tower pages that are penciled only. I am concerned about the pencil being rubbed or fading. I don't know anything about fixatives, etc. and wondered if anyone had any advice. I don't want to degrade the value of the art, but I want it to be well protected. Thanks.

Okay, before anyone beats me up about it, I went back and reviewed previous threads. I get Itoya=good. I'm waiting to get mine in the mail. I am worried though, because I ordered an 11x17 and I probably should have gotten it an inch or two bigger.

My fixative question still stands.

Prismacolor Final Fixative for the pencil only pieces. I know I've posted about it before so there are existing threads about it if you search.

Here's one http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=48&Number=1158526&Searchpage=1&Main=63361&Words=fixative&topic=0&Search=true#Post1158526

Okay, before anyone beats me up about it, I went back and reviewed previous threads. I get Itoya=good. I'm waiting to get mine in the mail. I am worried though, because I ordered an 11x17 and I probably should have gotten it an inch or two bigger.

My fixative question still stands.

You really need the 13x19 to make sure all the single page pieces fit. Some companies use 12x18 some 10x15....only the 10x15's really fit in the 11x17 book which seems to be a more exterior measurement than interior capacity.

Chris

I just found a 13x19 for 49.99. I placed my order and am going to return the 11x17 (which I actually paid more for).

https://www.aswexpress.com/art-supply/catalogs/0072259000000

I'm still a novice and am still learning. I just spent the last few hours going through old posts (I'm deployed and have lots of time when not on mission). I appreciate the help.

You can get a 13 x 19 for less than half that price here:

http://www.artsupply.com/portfolio/itoyaartcare.htm

It pays to shop around.

Best,

I just found a 13x19 for 49.99. I placed my order and am going to return the 11x17 (which I actually paid more for).

https://www.aswexpress.com/art-supply/catalogs/0072259000000

I'm still a novice and am still learning. I just spent the last few hours going through old posts (I'm deployed and have lots of time when not on mission). I appreciate the help.

I guess the one I got was more because it was a "professional". Probably completely unneccessary. Any thoughts?

bulldogs78, the same site is charging 64.12 for the same model.

http://www.artsupply.com/itoya/itoyapropoly.htm

Is it just a matter of quality of materials between the two? There has to be a reason for the price difference between models. I wonder if the more expensive one is thicker, stronger, better put together, etc. I think I'm gonna stick with it.

I've used these guys twice:

http://www.artstuff.net/itoya%5Fart%5Fsize%5Fprofolios.htm

Fast shipping, reliable and cheap $16 (cheapest at San Diego Comic-Con I found this year was $25 when I wanted one in a pinch).

I have one larger 18 x 24 Itoya which is great for DPS and oversized pieces, and one 11 x 17 I bought before I realized 13 x 19 was the way to go.

The standard Itoya portfolios are my preference. The Evolution range doesn't have the spine insert, and when you get to a number of portfolios it is useful to keep a track on what is in which folder, now I have 6 or so 13 x 19 I view it as essential, worth a couple of bucks extra.

Haeven't seen that expensive "Leatherette" one live, but I think I prefer the standard as I slide them around and stack them, durable, won't really worry about nicks or a scratch.

The removable page "poly glass" one looked interesting, but 10 sheets standard and that made if fairly expensive compared, and with extra pages adding up.

Thus I'd recommend the standard trusty 13 x 19.

After buy what seems like one of every type of portfolio I have finally sttled on the Itoya Evolution 14" X 17".

It hold the 11X17 art that may actually be 11 1/2 X 17

I like the covers better than the plastic feel of the HFP brand

has 24 pages, holding 48 pieces of OA

and who can say no to the "Stylish stitch cover accent"? Not me. I need to add style wherever I can.

Nothing on the spine for designation of contents though

After buy what seems like one of every type of portfolio I have finally sttled on the Itoya Evolution 14" X 17".

It hold the 11X17 art that may actually be 11 1/2 X 17

I like the covers better than the plastic feel of the HFP brand

has 24 pages, holding 48 pieces of OA

and who can say no to the "Stylish stitch cover accent"? Not me. I need to add style wherever I can.

Nothing on the spine for designation of contents though

Yeah I definitely am shooting for style. Besides, what's a few extra bucks when the contents are worth what they are?

armydoc,

You probably got most of your questions answered so I'll give you my 2 cents quickly. I use the 13x19 Itoya evolution protfolio. They're cheap and hold a page already in a 4 mil bags unlimited mylar. They fit everything up to those big 12x18 DC pages.

I too have a few pencil pieces. I have always been afraid to spray anything on my artwork. High end fixative included. If the artist does it I have no problem but as an alternative for your art in mylar you can try an acid free velum or velum like material.

It is almost like a tracing paper that you can lay on top of the pencils. If kept in place it will be the only thing in contact with the actual art and should reduce or eliminate the risk of smudging. Granted if you rub the velum across the art you will still have problems but it is a more passive response to pencil pieces and is completely reversible unlike spray on fixative. All of the pencil pieces I have gotten from Mike Mayhew have been stored this way and he uses copious amounts of pencil textures (the kind you would expect to smudge). The velum will pick up loose graphite from the page but it shouldn't dull off the pencils.

Hope that helps,

-CW

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I ended up going with a 13x19 Itoya Pro. I bought a Dark Tower page from a guy a few days ago and expect to get it in the mail any day. I really hope he packed it so as to not rub the penciling.

Have you had any problems with the pencils smearing?

I don't want to give you the wrong impression, they are pretty tough. Unless the artist uses soft graphite they should stick pretty good to the paper. Id' be more worried about the thing getting folded in half. Just me though....

I'm still waiting to get my pages from Albert Moy and the one a bought second hand. I'm more nervous than anything. I'm sure Albert will pack them properly, I'm worried about the other one. Hopefully I get it in the same boarding it was sent to the guy in.

I'm still waiting to get my pages from Albert Moy and the one a bought second hand. I'm more nervous than anything. I'm sure Albert will pack them properly, I'm worried about the other one. Hopefully I get it in the same boarding it was sent to the guy in.

I kow you're anxious to get any OA you have bought, but when dealing with dealers/reps I ussually ask them to hold onto art until returning to the states. I've done this several times with Moy without any problems.

I'm just too impatient for that I guess. Anything I get from here on out I'll probably have held. I'm here until Feb of 08 though, and that's a long time to wait! I go on mid-tour in about three weeks and am going to hand carry all the stuff I have home (in my new portfolio hopefully).