• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A letter to marvel

46 posts in this topic

This is a copy of the letter that I sent to Marvel. I submitted several scripts some time in June. I get an email or a call every once in while that says that they havn't had a chance to read my scripts, yet. So this is what I had to say to them. I have left out the name of the person it was sent to. Let me know what you think.

I just wanted to drop you a line to see how things were going and if you had a chance to get to my scripts? This has been a life long dream. But with each time that I meet Joe Quasada, the dream fades a little more. When I met him 2 years ago at Pittsburgh Comic Con he was sort of rude and basically said that he didn't care about continuity, and that if that was how I was writing he would not be interested in my work. "We are not here to write stories for the forty year old collector!" But when I read Marvel Comics' current run of books, that is the only people that I think you are appealing to.

Now after this meeting with him I took years of collecting (and an average of $250.00 a month that I spent for ALL of your new books, each and every month) and sold a majority of my collection. Going from over 40 long boxes of books to just over 6 long boxes and cutting the books I pick up to just Daredevil, Elektra and Black Widow (when she comes). So now I spend about $10.00. Because why should I even care for the continuity of the characters when I can just re-write an old story (which has happened, Macks first run on DD was almost the exact story as the Typhoid Mary run in DD #253-256 and how many times will the fall of the Kingpin be wrote?).

And then to top things off, I see Quasada at the recent Wizard World party and I thought I would give him another chance. So I go and talk with him about seeing if I could go up to the Marvel hospitality room. But he tells me that it is for professionals only. But then I find out that this girl I know (which this was her first show), he gets her into the room to hang out with everyone. Which pissed me right off!!! (Don't take this the wrong way) It just seems like a concert, if you have a pair of tits, you can get backstage to meet the band!!! I know this will probably ruin any chance I have at working for Marvel, but it don't seem like I will get any work from Marvel any ways.

I have always been a "Marvel Zombie" and I care for the characters. But that don't seem to matter much these days. The only thing that has kept me from selling off all of it and saying scew the whole industry is that Bill and you were cool to me. But now I hear that Bill has nothing to do with the books any more. And I can't help but feel that Quasada is the reason behind that. But just so you know, I want to work for Marvel so bad that I would be willing to work for free. Just to write Daredevil!!!

Brian sign-rantpost.gif

I applaud you in the pursuit of your dream but the facts are that it's tough to break in anywhere in at Marvel. The reason Joe Q was probably so rude to you is because, although I've never met the man, he comes across as being that way. He's made it. He's done his penance and ascended on into Marvel Heaven. Celebrity and success, oftentimes, makes you forget the struggles of other hopefuls. Just keep plugging away.

Also, for Marvel to actually take the time and drop you an e-mail or call says a lot! Usually, it's the other way around!

A couple of things.

1. Yes, tits can get you places and that isn't fair, but being a man is still better because we're always right.

2. Writing a letter to a company you would like to write for is a bad idea if you aren't familiar with proper grammar.

3. Tits can get you places.

4. Selling your back issues as a way to "show em" is a bad reason to sell.

5. I like tits.

Good luck.

4. Selling your back issues as a way to "show em" is a bad reason to sell.

Ya know... what would really show 'em is if he gave all of his back issues away.

tongue.gif

As for tits getting you into places... I've found that an expensive suit works almost as well.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Or if u run or know someone who runs/promotes comicons or had a product (e.g. signed #d comic bk) distributed by Diamond, u can get a comic "society" pass which will get u into the Marvel or DC hospitality comicon room to hob-knob with the big boyz. This works in San Diego con at least as I don't have a pair of hooters. foreheadslap.gif

2. Writing a letter to a company you would like to write for is a bad idea if you aren't familiar with proper grammar.

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well when I read the letter...

I review a lot of cover letters and resumes. Most of the time, if the cover letter has spelling or grammar errors, I won't even bother looking at the resume itself. (That's because each advertisement or job posting tends to get in excess of 300 responses these days.) If the job applicant doesn't take care enough or know enough to proof and spellcheck their cover letter, that speaks volumes when it comes to their work habits.

No comment on the breasts thing... but there's a distinct shortage of female comic professionals as well as a shortage of female readers in general. I'm sure Joe was doing his best to bring another comic reader into the fold.... smirk.gif

1. Yes, tits can get you places and that isn't fair, but being a man is still better because we're always right.

Let me test this. I want a Mint copy of Giant Size Xmen, Action Comics #1, Amazing Spiderman #1, Amazing Fantasy #15 and a million dollars for each boob (for those of you counting, that's two million dollars). I want to wake up tomorrow in a New York Penthouse with a deed to a killer mansion on the California coast.

Now I'll wiggle these puppies and see what I get.

Damn, NOTHING!!!!!!

Yeah, the grammar thing is a problem when submitting a letter on a professional level. If that was just a post... who cares. I doubt any of us spell check or grammar check on the boards... but if you want a job as a WRITER for marvel comics, you should be very careful, and very professional, about how you go about it.

Let me test this. I want a Mint copy of Giant Size Xmen, Action Comics #1, Amazing Spiderman #1, Amazing Fantasy #15 and a million dollars for each boob (for those of you counting, that's two million dollars). I want to wake up tomorrow in a New York Penthouse with a deed to a killer mansion on the California coast.

Now I'll wiggle these puppies and see what I get.

Damn, NOTHING!!!!!!

Now hold on a minute. Don't say "NOTHING" yet. I'm sure that, along with me, a few of the collectors/dealers/etc. would be willing to pitch in to ensure that you discover your dream. However (ah, the caveat) the size of our donation would be wholly dependent of course on the quality of said assets. That being the case, if you could supply the board with an image of said assets (say, 8x10 glossy scan), we will take your cause under consideration.

Please don't thank me, it's my pleasure. devil.gif

Yes of course Joe Q doesn't care about your dream (nor should he care) and the only thing he cares about is what you can do for him, and Marvel, and its readers. So instead of sending angry letters to Marvel, you should probably spend that time practicing your writing. I'm sure the people at Marvel appreciated your letter, but probably not for the reasons that you hoped.

Thanks all for the input! As I have made myself a target to all those out there. But the one thing that you didn't think about is that this was NOT the -script. And being that I wrote it while I was still pissed off, who really cares about grammer? When you are trying to get something off your chest, that is the way it just comes out.

As for spelling, that's what the spell check is for!!! Just because a person can't spell does that mean he/she should not get a job as a writer? I mean if that was the case then what the hell is the editor for? And who cares what "Joe Q" has done so far!!??? What has he done (really, I want to know)? Even Kevin's first run on DD was full of scew ups that they had to make a mini-series to set things right (The Mysterio Manifesto). It just seems that you have to have some connection somewhere to someone. I mean, for one, if any other person had wrote Daredevil: Target and been as late (same as he was with his first DD run) or even left the project unfinished, do you think that person would have a job in this industry? You know that they wouldn't! And if you say differently, your only fooling yourself! I think that the only concern at Marvel right now is who gets their name in the next movie that comes out. Or who will be lucky enough to be in Kevin Smith's next gay [!@#%^&^] movie. I think they are so busy patting themselves on the back that they really don't care. sign-rantpost.gif

As for spelling, that's what the spell check is for!!! Just because a person can't spell does that mean he/she should not get a job as a writer? I mean if that was the case then what the hell is the editor for?

This statement is wrong for so many reasons.

J.D.

Brian, Brian, Brian, Calm down. Its really hard to achieve your goals. That you would give up after what, a year or so of trying to get into Marvel is sad. And it shows just how little you REALLY want it. And that you expected to get accepted, nay, exalted into getting the Daredevil assignment right off the bat (or even any writing gig) is just naive,. Theres hundreds of writers with professional comics experience that cant get back into Marvel or anywhere right now!!

Keep plugging, and dont take it personally. They dont even know you well enough to care a whit about you!!! Just keep at it, getting better and better at writing, and if youve got it, you just might make it after all.

Or get a job in the bullpen, or as assistant editor if possible. Get to know the editors etc and your turn will come.

PAY YOUR DUES young man!