• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Mainstream Character Storyline Ever and Why?

64 posts in this topic

Just wanted to see what people's opinions are. Which storyline of any mainstream character, i.e. Spiderman, Batman, Hulk, Superman, etc. of any universe, Marvel, DC, Image, etc. do you consider to be the worst ever? And why do you feel that way?

This should be fun!

Clone Saga sucked great big monkey balls. My dislike for it is purely personal. i thought it was awful.

Secret Wars 2. :sick: Awful art on a series that never should have been made. Seriously, SW2 was completely uneeded.

Anything from Image's first year or so. Flashy art with very little story.

Secret Wars 2. :sick: Awful art on a series that never should have been made. Seriously, SW2 was completely uneeded.

Agreed. What an obvious money-grab based on the popularity of the first one. The difference is, the first one had substance.

As a fellow board member once (and very astutely, I might add) summed up SW2, "I've always thought that SW2 was a series that started out at rock bottom, pulled out a jackhammer, and started digging." :grin: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not the worst storyline, but one that annoyed me at the time:

The Spiderman "identity of the Hobgoblin" storyline from the 80s. It seemed to drag out for years. Everyone from Flash Thompson to Aunt May were revealed or suspected of being Hobgoblin.

Spider-Man "The Other"

Spider-man "sins past"

Batman "No Man's Land"

Marvel "Civil War"

Avengers/Marvel "House of M"

every X-men storyline for the past 10 years.

I dont like the storyline where u changed your kitten into what looks like a komodo dragon

0_21_cyclops_kitten.jpg

So much garbage, so little time.

I'll add my votes for Secret Wars II, Batman: No Man's Land, and All-Star Batman. There was also a year-long Detective story a while back that was so bad I went without reading Detective for about eight months.

And Fantastic Four right now is lousy.

all the above are literary CLASSICS when compared to the giant steaming ball of elephant dung that was...DC Challenge!

How about that semi-recent Silver Surfer volume? The one where he doesn't even really appear in his own book. About missing children and stuff. Talk about horrid beyond words. Came out before the Annihilation mini.

Pat

How about that semi-recent Silver Surfer volume? The one where he doesn't even really appear in his own book. About missing children and stuff. Talk about horrid beyond words. Came out before the Annihilation mini.

Pat

Luckily, I passed on that one, but I remember when it came out. Same with the short lived Inhumans book from a few years ago.

You're not referring to the Jae Lee 12-part Inhumans mini, are you? That was an amazing mini series. I do recall an Inhumans series that made it like 3 or 4 issues. Odd pencils and little substance to the story.

Pat