• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plug Your Local Comics Shop

27 posts in this topic

One of the things that I've noticed is that from time to time each of us will plug their local comic book store, or one of their favorite ones. I just thought I'd start a thread for a kind of reference for that sort of thing.

My favorite store overall is:

J.C. COMICS

579 ROUTE 22 WEST

NORTH PLAINFIELD, NJ

(908) 756-1212

Right now, if you're in the area, they acquired a beautiful new collection. Even when they don't have "new" stuff in... they're one of the best stocked stores in the state and have one of the most knowledgeable staffs. They have an extensive back issue selection, and Jeff is one of the very best raw graders you'll come across anywhere. He's extremely honest and fair about grading as well. Plus, Joe, the primary owner, is a great guy (who will set up at Baltimore) and Joe and Jeff's Mom and Dad are two of the finest people you can ever hope to meet. Adam, one of their staff members, has a great command of what's coming out and has a excellent knowledge overall of comics. A great store!

A close second is....

DEWEY'S COMIC CITY

13 PARK AVENUE

MADISON, NJ

(973) 593-0042

Dan, the owner, is one of the best guys, and a personal friend. What a guy. Great trades and new book selection. He doesn't focus on back issues that much, but is runs good sales just about every week. It's a great place to visit, and Madison is a very nice area. Dan is also one of the biggest DC silver age fans you'll ever meet and has an unbelievable knowledge of that era. Plus, he's a true fan. He still reads and loves comics. I can't recommend this store enough!

So if you feel like it, post what's great about your local store (or if you're in a bad Bob sort of mood, tell us what stinks about the local store).

Great thread!! My favorite in the city is:

TIME MACHINE

207 W 14TH ST, NEW YORK, NY 10011

Phone: (212) 691-0380

The owner is a guy named Roger Williams who has been around forever and is an awesome guy. Really cool to talk books with. Not for your uber HG collector, but for someone who wants to be immersed in old school SA and BA books, this is the place for you.

For the new issue collector who wants a wide array of new titles and trades, I would recommend:

COSMIC COMICS

36 EAST 23RD STREET 2ND FLOOR

NEW YORK, NY

(212) 460-5322

Under no circumstances would I ever go to:

ST. MARK'S COMICS

11 ST. MARK'S PLACE

NEW YORK, NY

(212) 598-9439

they treat there new issues like 893censored-thumb.gif and their back issue pricing makes me feel like I'm back in 1993!! And if you are looking for anything pre-1980, well, don't bother.

If you have never been, these two stores really are the mecca of comic book collecting in NYC, as they have ridiculous amounts of new comics, trades, and "paraphanelia" (ie busts, t-shirts, etc). They also feature creator appearances regularly:

MIDTOWN COMICS

200 WEST 40TH STREET 7TH AVE. 2ND FLOOR

NEW YORK, NY

(212) 302-8192

JIM HANLEY'S UNIVERSE

4 WEST 33RD STREET

OPPOSITE THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

NEW YORK, NY

DAM

Allrighty then.....

My favorite shop is Beyond Comics in Lakeforest Mall (Gaithersburg, MD). They also have a store in Georgetown. That's where I get all my new books. They have very little in Back Issues, but I like the staff. A great group of people!

The best shop near me (about 30 miles away) is Cards, Comics, and Collectibles (Donut's Buddy, Mark Nathan's store) in Reisterstown, MD. He has a great selection of Back Issues and new stuff. Lots of HG (VF or better) SA books. Great guy! I wish it was closer.

Chris

Well I have two favourites

Heroes World in Markham

4568 highway 7 Unit 5

Markham Ontario

L3R 1M5

They know me by name and when I walk in they hand me my pull list.

They have a nice collection of anime and action figures and I can find what I want.

Very personable and Friendly

and a New Favourite.

Paradise Comics

Everythign that can be said about them has allready been said.

Real stand up guys!

This is a valuable thread, or at least it will be when everyone contributes... everyone? Hello?

Can we arrange to have this posted permanently somewhere, for easy reference? I realize there's a "Comic Shop Locator" phone # you can call, but it's pretty spotty, and of course has almost no details as to actual inventory, cleanliness and courtesy of staff, etc.

It'd be great to have this thread handy anytime I'm heading outta town...to see if there's a decent shop near my destination.

Here's my pick:

Comic Relief, University Ave., Berkeley, CA

...the only store in the San Francisco East Bay worth visiting, IMHO. (Note that I don't buy new comics, only GA/SA and a few BA.)

...decent inventory of GA through BA, and if you're willing to browse through the bins, there are some bargains to be had. Mostly, the back issue stuff is priced at guide, but the good news is most of it is slightly to moderately undergraded, at least by my standards.

In the Wall Street area of Manhattan, there are unfortunately no shops worth recommending. There used to be 4, now there is only one, and their new comics always have some kind of defect. They're F before you even take them off the rack. I only buy my reading copies there.

I have one I'd like to mention, moreso because I finally got a taste of this guy's grading at a little show I went to last weekend. Staring at a FF 48, could have sworn it was at least a VF/NM. This raw comic with maybe one small stress mark, real nice corners, cover gloss like new.....he graded as a VF. I knew better, but didn't say anything. I was actually quite stunned. Ya' gotta love a seller like that. His name is Greg Harder and he runs:

The Collector's Slave

155 Imperial Ave.

Winnipeg, Manitoba R2M 0K8

(204) 237-4428

His add is in overstreet, page 835. He only had a reputation for tight grading and it was the first time I experienced it. Also, naturallly..

Doug @ Comic World

- class act all the way. He's out in Steinbach, but that's pretty close to Winnipeg. Contact him @ cworld@mts.net You won't be dissapointed. He's the guy I always buy from.

In Memphis TN:

Best is Comics and Collectibles on Poplar Ave

Worst: Memphis Comics and Records on Highland (used to be one of the best but now is like a crack shack)

Comics and Collectibles has been the best for a long time. Although it was a bit run down the last time I was in it. It's still the best and most complete in Memphis.

It was a great shop when they were in the little hole around the corner, but boomed big time when they moved to the current location.

When they moved, they became the best shop by far.

And you're right about Memphis Comics and Records. It was a good shop, oh, 15-17 years ago.

You mean they actually haven't condemned the building yet?

C&C killed this place when they moved into the big shop they are in now.

I haven't been to either in several years.

About 10 years ago, there was a nice shop in Germantown.

I can't remember the name of it.

There was also another shop on Poplar about 2 miles west of C&C.

It was in a small office building on the top floor.

Odd place for a comic shop because nobody knew it was there except the locals.

I can't remember the name of that one either. 893frustrated.gif

I like this thread.

I currently live in Ithaca NY and the one store within a 30 mile radius (Comics for Collectors) use to be my store. However, in the last 2 years or so, the store has gotten worse with the owner becoming a pain to his semi-regular customers. He offered a subscription service where he would hold comics for you to pick up after they come out. It was good for my friends and I as we could only go to the store every few weeks. However, after about six months of good business, he started to not hold on to comics after holding them for roughly ten days. He would hold most of my comics because I spent a large amount of money on back issues there but, since my friends mostly collected new books, the owner didn't spend to much time on them. It then got to the point where he would only hold on to my books if they weren't the current "hot" items and he would through in a couple of books that I didn't request.

Needless to say, my friends stopped going to his shop and I kept taking more time between visits. After he stiffed some more people I knew, I stopped going to his store at all.

So, if anyone knows of any good stores in upstate new york, I'd appreciate if you would let me know.

In the Detroit area, I am partial to Classic Movie & Comic Center in Livonia (West Side), or TJ's Comics in Warren (East side). Both get their comics out fast on Wednesday's and have decent back issue collections. Comic City in Pontiac isn't bad for new stuff if you live to the north.

Time Traveler's in Berkeley is OK, but they can be slow getting the books on the shelf and the workers are less than customer oriented. Plus it is hard as h*ll to move in that store!

- D.

Another Toronto comic book store plug:

Excalibur Comics

3030 Bloor St. West

Toronto, Ontario M8X 1C4

T)416-236-3553

Not a very big store, and not for high quality Silver/Bronze, but one of the friendliest stores around! Rob has been in the business for close to 15+ years through the ups and downs, and he always manages to keep a smile on his face.

Another plug for Peter at Paradise comics (although I don't frequent the store that much) - especially for doing the big three day show coming up in November (and kudos to Kev too! 893applaud-thumb.gif)

The most interesting comic book store in Toronto is The Beguling. If you're Toronto, check these stores out!

This is a really cool thread! laugh.gif

I'll add my 3cents:

I bought my first comic when I was a wee tyke from:

Quality Comics

Division St.

Somerville NJ

I have not kept touch with the owner. He owns a different store in that town now (a retro shop). The last time I spoke with him he was wishing for CGC's quick and fast demise (This was before we even opened)

It has changed owners & locations through the years. Now my good friend Rick Borr owns it. It is a good, solid store, located at:

Comic Fortress

Main St.

Somerville NJ

Now that CGC moved to Sarasota FL, I usually get my comics from William Insignares at Demolition Comics:

Demolition Comics

4049 S. Dale Mabry Hwy.

Tampa, FL 33611

(813) 832-2692

A great guy, with a cool, multi-lingual website .

Also there is another good comic shop with a lot of TPB's (next to the best Tattoo Parlor in town--Level 5 Tattoos) called Pop Comics:

Pop Comics

4333 S. Tamiami Trail

Sarasota, FL 34231

(941) 925-0833

But sentimentally, my favorite shop is still the one that no longer exists, the one I spent hours at as a child.

If you ever heading to Pensacola, FL:

Heroic Images

6707 Plantation Rd

Pensacola, FL 32504-6214

Phone: (850) 473-0810

this store is the greatest, you can sit there and open up random books and they wont mind. They like to get into comic related convos with you. Mostly modern books though, but they do have some SA Avenger books along the wall. they even carry video games are some low prices. They actually moved inside the adjacent mall, not to sure if the phone number is the same but the mall's address is:

7171 North Davis Hwy.

Pensacola, Fl. 32504

Futurevisions Sci-Fi Books & Collectables

479 N Pace Blvd

Pensacola, FL 32505-7727

Phone: (850) 470-0360

small place with an insane amount of books, sadly i've yet to see any SA books

TBS Comics

6873 N 9th Ave

Pensacola, FL 32504-7349

Phone: (850) 474-1419

the folks that work their are super friendly, the store has too much of an anime influence (read: loads of japanese comics and anime) not too big on that stuff. Often times they host tournaments of just about every CCG imaginable. Has a wall of Warhammer & various RPGs

Strangely Paul, I grew up in the area around Somerville and am very familiar with both stores you mention. For a long time, the store owned by your friend Rick Borr was called A Comic Adventure, owned by Chuck Esposito, I believed it was sold once, then sold again and is now Comic Fortress. Since they don't emphasize back issues, I don't regularly go there, but Somerville is a great location for a store. Their location change was moving from around the corner on 2 division st., to main st., to next door to where they are now.

The other store you mentioned, Quality Comics, doesn't really carry that much in the line of comics (although he must have caved concerning his position on CGC, cause he's got almost a full set of CGC'd Miraclemans) and now is, as you say, a variety sort of store. It's now called Icogneatorama.

Strangely Paul, I grew up in the area around Somerville and am very familiar with both stores you mention. For a long time, the store owned by your friend Rick Borr was called A Comic Adventure, owned by Chuck Esposito, I believed it was sold once, then sold again and is now Comic Fortress. Since they don't emphasize back issues, I don't regularly go there, but Somerville is a great location for a store. Their location change was moving from around the corner on 2 division st., to main st., to next door to where they are now.

The other store you mentioned, Quality Comics, doesn't really carry that much in the line of comics (although he must have caved concerning his position on CGC, cause he's got almost a full set of CGC'd Miraclemans) and now is, as you say, a variety sort of store. It's now called Icogneatorama.

Yup, that's it in a nut-shell. First there was Quality Comics (Incidentally, I went to grade school with his son, Eric) who sold to Chuck. Chuck moved the store twice (up the street and then around the corner to main st), then sold to Rick after the early 90's crash. Rick moved the store over one space in the same building. Then, next store he opened a "swanky/goth" coffee shop/ice cream parlor called "Sanctuary". This was right as CGC moved to Florida. He tells me Sanctuary is doing great, so well that he opened a second one in New Brunswick. He loves the comic shop and knows I would haunt him to the edges of the Earth if he ever closed it, leaving Somerville without a comic book store.

As for Mr. Quality Comics, he's a good person. I really like his store and still shop there when ever I am in the area. "Incogneto" became "Neatorama" (or the other way around) and now I guess it's "INCOGNEATORAMA!" Hey, if it works!

Now you made me want to go hop on a plane and go back to the old stomping ground!

The coffee shop idea was a very good one... not to get too down on Comic Fortress... but let's just say the coffee/ice cream store is more enjoyable. One good thing about the Fortress is that you can submit CGC books through them! That's nice!

I actually go down to Somerville from time to time as my parents still live in the area... I didn't realize (until now) you were from jersey too... I knew Haspel loosely when i lived in Jersey and CGC was there, but I never realized you were a Jersey boy too.

What did you think of Comic Attitudes in new brunswick? They closed a few years ago, but there was always something about that owner which rubbed me the wrong way... now I'm a little surprised with Rutgers there, there's no major comic store (maybe Rick should consider opening a comic store there too)?