• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay non-performing seller policy

21 posts in this topic

Received this email from eBay today:

Dear Chris,

We're writing to tell you about an important announcement we've made concerning eBay policies and standards for seller performance. eBay is taking steps to protect the interests of good sellers like you and the consumer's overall experience on eBay.

First of all, we assure you that your current level of performance exceeds the standards. Congratulations and thank you.

Sellers are expected to perform in a manner resulting in a consistently high level of buyer satisfaction. If, over a 90-day period, a seller's interactions with buyers result in greater than a 5% level of buyer dissatisfaction as evidenced by negative/neutral feedback and/or Item Not Received complaints, that seller will be considered in violation of eBay's Seller Non-Performance policy. Note we're currently not including Detailed Seller Ratings in the enforcement of this policy since they're so new to the marketplace.

As a seller in good standing, you're well aware that buyer satisfaction is vital to your continued success -- and the continued success of eBay. Thank you for your solid track record and continued commitment to good customer service. We're confident that enforcing this policy will go a long way to keeping eBay a great place to buy and sell for you and for all our users.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety

So a 5% limit over 90 days. If you sell 10 items, you have to have them all go well. Say you sell 50 items, if three go bad, you are in violation. If you sell 100, you get five or six chances to mess it up. Too strict or too lenient? Thoughts?

I wonder about the phrase "5% level of buyer satisfaction". To me, that suggests that 5% of BUYERS have to leave negative feedback in order to be considered non-performing. If one buyer leaves negative feedback for multiple sales, it would only count as a single strike against the seller.

Seller has 50 sales in 90 days, and 5 of them are to a single buyer who leaves negative feedback for all 5 sales. All the other sales were to unique buyers who left positive feedback. That would be a 10% negative feedback level, but only a 2% buyer dissatisfaction (46 unique buyers, with only 1 dissatisfied).

At least that's my take on it. Has anyone asked for clarification from Ebay?

I've written Griff (host of eBay Radio) some clarifying questions. He usually replies quickly. I wanted to know if you take a break from selling, and sell 10 things in 90 days, and get one neg, are you suspended? And what about retalitory negs? If those count against suspensions, you won't see anyone leaving negs, out of fear of getting one in return.

Too strict or too lenient? Thoughts?

Yep, I read that message too.

Well, generally, I think it's a step in the right direction. But if a seller has less than 95% pos feedback, there's virtually no chance I'd be dealing with them anyway.

So I guess I'd have to say it's too lenient.

(shrug)

Too strict or too lenient? Thoughts?

Yep, I read that message too.

Well, generally, I think it's a step in the right direction. But if a seller has less than 95% pos feedback, there's virtually no chance I'd be dealing with them anyway.

So I guess I'd have to say it's too lenient.

(shrug)

I'm thinking the same as you when applied to active sellers. If you only sell a few items in 90 days though - well we all encounter people who cannot reasonably be made happy. That concerns me a bit.

I mean, there's this guy out there who will leave you a neg when you pay the return shipping costs on a book he doesn't like... :baiting:

I got a response back from Griff:

A member with one neg out of 20 FB in the last 90 days wouldn’t be considered an SNP seller. To be an SNP seller, a member must meet one of the following requirements:

o Greater than 5% neg/neutral FB and at least two negative feedback comments from distinct buyers

o An INR rate of at least 5%, with at least 5 INR complaints from distinct buyers

Unfortunately, retaliatory negs are not addressed specifically in the SNP policy. However, the SNP process is not considered "set in stone." In fact, the overall issue of retaliatory negs is something that is being closely considered by the feedback policy team.

I mean, there's this guy out there who will leave you a neg when you pay the return shipping costs on a book he doesn't like... :baiting:

Really? I hadn't heard. Must be a quiet chap. :shy:

I got a response back from Griff:

A member with one neg out of 20 FB in the last 90 days wouldn’t be considered an SNP seller. To be an SNP seller, a member must meet one of the following requirements:

o Greater than 5% neg/neutral FB and at least two negative feedback comments from distinct buyers

o An INR rate of at least 5%, with at least 5 INR complaints from distinct buyers

Unfortunately, retaliatory negs are not addressed specifically in the SNP policy. However, the SNP process is not considered "set in stone." In fact, the overall issue of retaliatory negs is something that is being closely considered by the feedback policy team.

That changes the math quite a bit for the low volume sellers. Thanks for your research!

Looking lenient for the 500 feedback a month crowd.

When I read that, I wasn't sure who they were trying to police, other than the obvious scammers. The 5% seems like a pretty high negative rate...how many eBay sellers have less than 95% positive feedback once they get to a decent number of sales? :shrug:

How about this clown.. 26,700+ negatives and still selling! I know it's buyer beware,but why do they let the guy stay on? In the last year...9,700 negatives and 11,700 neutrals. He's screwing 1 in 10 customers,and thats only based on the people that negged him.Who knows how many just didn't leave anything.

NEGATIVE KING OF EBAY!

Received this email from eBay today:

Dear Chris,

We're writing to tell you about an important announcement we've made concerning eBay policies and standards for seller performance. eBay is taking steps to protect the interests of good sellers like you and the consumer's overall experience on eBay.

First of all, we assure you that your current level of performance exceeds the standards. Congratulations and thank you.

Sellers are expected to perform in a manner resulting in a consistently high level of buyer satisfaction. If, over a 90-day period, a seller's interactions with buyers result in greater than a 5% level of buyer dissatisfaction as evidenced by negative/neutral feedback and/or Item Not Received complaints, that seller will be considered in violation of eBay's Seller Non-Performance policy. Note we're currently not including Detailed Seller Ratings in the enforcement of this policy since they're so new to the marketplace.

As a seller in good standing, you're well aware that buyer satisfaction is vital to your continued success -- and the continued success of eBay. Thank you for your solid track record and continued commitment to good customer service. We're confident that enforcing this policy will go a long way to keeping eBay a great place to buy and sell for you and for all our users.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety

So a 5% limit over 90 days. If you sell 10 items, you have to have them all go well. Say you sell 50 items, if three go bad, you are in violation. If you sell 100, you get five or six chances to mess it up. Too strict or too lenient? Thoughts?

What if you only sell one item and the dork leaves a undeserved neg?

:screwy:

Really? I hadn't heard. Must be a quiet chap. :shy:

:signfunny:

That guy defines the "junk seller" moniker.

How about this clown.. 26,700+ negatives and still selling! I know it's buyer beware,but why do they let the guy stay on? In the last year...9,700 negatives and 11,700 neutrals. He's screwing 1 in 10 customers,and thats only based on the people that negged him.Who knows how many just didn't leave anything.

NEGATIVE KING OF EBAY!

NEGATIVE KING OF EBAY!

Ebay lets the guy stay on 'cause he's an earner (so speaks Captain Obvious!).

90.4% is the lowest feedback I've seen from an active ebay seller though. Even if he is swelling ebays' coffers, that is embarrasingly bad. Almost scandalous.

NEGATIVE KING OF EBAY!

90.4% is the lowest feedback I've seen from an active ebay seller though. Even if he is swelling ebays' coffers, that is embarrasingly bad. Almost scandalous.

scandalous hm

I just sent the story to the Sun :acclaim:

NEGATIVE KING OF EBAY!

scandalous hm

I just sent the story to the Sun :acclaim:

:whatev: