• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A stroll down Centaurman lane...visually stunning

167 posts in this topic

....ok, so I am done with viewing the AA's, and I move onto the last DC arena I was fortunate to visit....some of these books will ring near and dear to some board members...

chicago2007c.jpg

just a joy to view...

this afternoon, we will move onto the "main event"...

gator

You are the consummate insider

lol

Seriously, sharing your collection with friends you've made through the hobby is a long-standing comic collector tradition.

I give up.

Don't give up. Get even!

Make some friends and then visit their collection. It's a tradition!

If you are ever in Houston I am sure there are some books you can look at.

I was giving up on trying to get someone who`s normally one of the brighter people on the boards to understand the point I was trying to make. :gossip:

You guys are are both right!

It is cool that because of the boards folks have gotten together to share their books. (tth2 is right)

It is also true that collectors were getting together and sharing their books before the boards came around. (adamstrange is right)

See, everyone around here is right.

If someone would just be wrong then we could have some real bickering.

:pullhair: Where's JC when you need him!

lol

Seriously, sharing your collection with friends you've made through the hobby is a long-standing comic collector tradition.

I give up.

Don't give up. Get even!

I was giving up on trying to get someone who`s normally one of the brighter people on the boards to understand the point I was trying to make. :gossip:

It is cool that because of the boards folks have gotten together to share their books. (tth2 is right)

It is also true that collectors were getting together and sharing their books before the boards came around. (adamstrange is right)

From now on, I`m calling you Mr. Solomon rather than Mr. Bedrock. (worship)

lol

I give up.

Don't give up. Get even!

From now on, I`m calling you Mr. Solomon rather than Mr. Bedrock. (worship)

Then you would be wrong.

Having met the C-MAN himself (as well as Andy), I can attest these guys ooze GA, and are very generous as well. Thanks Win for sharing your collection with the boards.

And thanks to Rick for starting this up!! I never had the pleasure of seeing the BIG collection in person, but these photos are giving me an idea of the broad scope but tight quality of the collection.

(worship)(worship)

chicago2007c.jpg

Rick, thanks for posting the photos.

I love those early DC's.

you and me both...difference is that you can view your own copies :) , I don't have them (yet) , but I can enjoy yours and Win's etc!

rick

Having met the C-MAN himself (as well as Andy), I can attest these guys ooze GA

Thanks? hm You ooze too! :grin:

Just saw this thread. Revamping Win's collection was the best job I ever had, or likely ever will have. How often to you get to crack out a CGCed five figure Church copy with a pair of scissors (Win made me do that multiple times), or see comics where (at best) there are a few dozen copies left in existence....all while getting paid? On the other hand, seeing his cat sitting on the Action 1 and finding his collection crammed in a series of old Pampers boxes told me my services were badly needed, so don't feel like I got TOO lucky as it was a ton of "work".

Win's collection really is amazing though, and he has a great eye (he actully has two, but only one is good with comics). Seeing our tastes develop with the aid of certain boardmembers was also interesting, as we are both relative newbies to this segment of collecting. I remember looking through his stuff for the first time and I only found a handful of books that REALLY did it for me. Now literally every new book makes my jaw drop and my gut clench with envy. I can only think of a couple people that have "better" taste than him, and I am not one of them.

the only piece of original art I own, is a berkely breathed bloom county strip from 1980something, featuring milo and bill the cat, with that classic quote...my favorite...

rick

I was wondering where that quote was from.

My favorite is "Yow" from Little Lulu.

Better than "OOG!" and "ROWRBAZZLE!"?

Such a disappointing revelation!

Jack

....ok, so I get finished thumbing through the wonderful assortment of pre Bat Tecs....and next in the "dc" box are the All American....once upon a time, I had a desire to put the run 2-25 together (sorry, 1 just doesn't do it for me)....I had accumulated a few , and at that time, a new board member by the name of bill ponseti came along and "forced" me to part with them to him...so, my quest was crushed, but I did get to enjoy the following:

chicago2007b.jpg

like Pre Bat tecs, Pre Lantern AA's are wonderfully difficult to track down, and severely under appreciated, in my opinion...luckily for us, Win knows what he likes...

tomorrow, another set of DC, then onto the "good" stuff...

gator

HEY! Do I see a couple of Larsons in there ?!?

Hoarding AA 16's is just wrong....

beautiful groupings.

....ok, so I looked at a few other misc DC's, and then moved onto the "good" stuff (as if the previous 3 shots of key DC's didn't qualify as "good")...

As some know, I have a fondness for 2 particular Centaur Runs...Amazing Man (also appearing in Stars and Stripes #2 (1), etc) and Keen Detecive Funnies (especially the Masked Marvel)....so, what a "thrill" it was to first get a chance to see, issue by issue, almost a complete run of Amans!....I believe there are at least 2 Church copies and maybe a Larson (honestly can't remember, I was too overwhelmed)...I know the very difficult 22 is the Church, and Win had the only 23-25 mini run I have ever seen, but he too is still in search of the all illusive #26 (thanks to JB for posting)....

so, without further delay, I give you KONG!

chicago2007d.jpg

tomorrow, we will delve into one that will certainly grab Ryan's attention...AMF!

gator

....ok, so I get finished thumbing through the wonderful assortment of pre Bat Tecs....and next in the "dc" box are the All American....once upon a time, I had a desire to put the run 2-25 together (sorry, 1 just doesn't do it for me)....I had accumulated a few , and at that time, a new board member by the name of bill ponseti came along and "forced" me to part with them to him...so, my quest was crushed, but I did get to enjoy the following:

chicago2007b.jpg

like Pre Bat tecs, Pre Lantern AA's are wonderfully difficult to track down, and severely under appreciated, in my opinion...luckily for us, Win knows what he likes...

gator

beautiful groupings.

Actually I think this shows that if you aren't careful you'll end up with multiple copies of a key GA book, and then what will you do? Win got help from Andy just in time.

... and finding his collection crammed in a series of old Pampers boxes...

Andy's not kidding. Usually the box was stuffed on the top shelf of some clothes closet in his kid's room. Could be worse. You could've walked into a room and seen his cat sitting on an Action #1. :o

Really, it's hard to reply appropriately in a thread like this. I'm terribly appreciative of guys like Rick and adamstrange and Andy and PedigreeMan (Alan) and stagedoorjohnny (Dennis) who take the time to come over and look at my books. Rick arrived in Chicago a day early, incurring all the costs that come with extending a trip like that, just to swing by and see the collection. Then he insisted upon taking the time to organize and photograph all the group shots he's now showing. A great guy and a huge asset to the boards and the greater collecting community.

Andy's efforts went above and beyond the call of duty (even though I paid him), as he painstakingly graded (with printed grading notes!), scanned, bagged/boarded, and organized my books, as well as packaged and shipped anything I was mailing out. He also cracked a zillion slabs (with Alan's help), then frequently took a shot at guessing the CGC grade and PQ (typically never missing grade by more than 0.5 and almost always finding the resto, although sometimes wildly off on PQ, which we viewed as a CGC consistency problem, not an Andy problem). Just a massive amount of help and organization from him, and my collection is clearly the better for it.

Again, kind of hard to jump in with comments about my own books, but hopefully you guys will get a kick out of some of these runs, as well as appreciating Rick for taking the time to put it all together. And obviously, whenever any of you are in Chicago, just shoot me a PM!

chicago2007b.jpg

gator

beautiful groupings.

Actually I think this shows that if you aren't careful you'll end up with multiple copies of a key GA book, and then what will you do? Win got help from Andy just in time.

This is the exact reason that I keep lists of my books, to keep this very thing from happening.

Ken