• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A stroll down Centaurman lane...visually stunning

167 posts in this topic

hello all...

On Wednesday, August 8th, I had the pleasure of being in the windy City for the WW Con. On that day, I ventured onto the Blue Line rail, and headed downtown, to LaSalle street....there, I entered a wonderful office building and anxiously awaited my host for the afternoon to appear from the elevators...none other than "the" CentaurMan!....

After an introduction, Win and I proceeded to the train station, where we would catch a little diddy out to his palatial estate just outside of Chi town. Win welcomed me into his home (a most wonderful home, I might add), and we proceeded, without hesitation, to the "comic room" ....

Well, tis no lie, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning...I can't help it, I am enthralled and enticed by funny books! and, I have (much to the thanks of this board) become increasing interested in the Centaur publication titles...so, what a pleasure this was going to be for me....and Win didn't hold back!

Over the next couple of weeks or so, I will try to detail my adventure, and provide some visual stimulus as well...because this is not an adventure that should be told in haste, I will limit myself to one group of books a day, so y'all check on back regularly, ya' hear!

My first love, has always, and will likely always be, DC's. For me, Detective Comics hold a place near and dear to my heart (and my bank account!), specifically the post Batman issues. So, what a treat it was for me, to get to view "the other" side of Tec collecting....the Pre Hero Detectives...

Mind you, I got to spend about 4 hours at Win's house, but could have spent 4 days, and not absorbed all that I wanted, but we started with the Detectives:

chicago2007a.jpg

One of the great things about Win's collection, is that the books are accessible (as in mylar and full backs!)...So, as I proceeded to view each Tec, one by one, I noticed that each had a wonderful little grading note with details attached, provided by our boards' own October (Andy)...Andy did a wonderful job detailing all that you would find on a cgc label, and then so much more detail! So, the above group shot was my first experience of being on the proverbial "tip of the iceberg"...I won't do a book by book recounting, but just picture yourself getting to hold each one, one by one, and being able to explore 1937/8 through the eyes of Flessel, etc...

Hope you all enjoy (but likely not as much as I did!)....tune in this afternoon, tomorrow and each subsequent afternoon for updates...same bat time, same bat channel.

gator

Nice pic. I can't wait for the rest.

I'm curious about the grading notes (what was said) and how they were kept with the book (hand written on paper and inserted in the back of the mylar???).

I am sure Win could scan one, and post, but basically it was a 8" by 4" piece of paper, typed, with all the pertinent info...such as title, publisher, issue, etc

followed by grade, and then graders/andy's notes (i.e. if resto, that was detailed, if unrestored, defects were noted)....

nice job by october

rick

I'm curious about the grading notes (what was said) and how they were kept with the book (hand written on paper and inserted in the back of the mylar???).

I am sure Win could scan one, and post, but basically it was a 8" by 4" piece of paper, typed, with all the pertinent info...such as title, publisher, issue, etc

followed by grade, and then graders notes (i.e. if resto, that was detailed, if unrestored, defects were noted)....

nice job by october

rick

And, I bet Andy had a blast doing it!

followed by grade, and then graders notes (i.e. if resto, that was detailed, if unrestored, defects were noted)....

nice job by october

rick

And, I bet Andy had a blast doing it!

I'm not so sure. He used to complain about the grueling pace in Win's rat-infested sweatshop and the lack of bathroom facilities. :kidaround:

I too was a visitor to 265 Centaur Lane and can attest to his generosity and the awesomeness of his collection.

Very cool! I really like this rapidly developing tradition of board members with awesome collections allowing folks from the boards to come over to their place for a viewing in conjunction with a convention. We`ve had RHG at SD and now CM at Chicago? Who`s next?

Very cool! I really like this rapidly developing tradition of board members with awesome collections allowing folks from the boards to come over to their place for a viewing in conjunction with a convention. We`ve had RHG at SD and now CM at Chicago? Who`s next?

hello all...

We have Ponseti's "con"....not really a con, but a gathering of board members and friends where we all shared our collections...

and, as I extended to Brent M of Quality, folks that would like to visit the panhandle of Fl (i.e. the beaches), are always welcome to drop by and see me!

gator

hello all...

We have Ponseti's "con"....not really a con, but a gathering of board members and friends where we all shared our collections...

and, as I extended to Brent M of Quality, folks that would like to visit the panhandle of Fl (i.e. the beaches), are always welcome to drop by and see me!

gator

hm

Been going on for a while. I've had folks over and have visited folks like Bedrock on more than one occasion.

hello all...

gator

hm

dude, you are always welcome, but if you bring J. Alba (and she can stay at my house if my wife will approve), I'll put you up at our condo on the beach!

gator