• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A stroll down Centaurman lane...visually stunning

167 posts in this topic

....ok, so I looked at a few other misc DC's, and then moved onto the "good" stuff (as if the previous 3 shots of key DC's didn't qualify as "good")...

As some know, I have a fondness for 2 particular Centaur Runs...Amazing Man (also appearing in Stars and Stripes #2 (1), etc) and Keen Detecive Funnies (especially the Masked Marvel)....so, what a "thrill" it was to first get a chance to see, issue by issue, almost a complete run of Amans!....I believe there are at least 2 Church copies and maybe a Larson (honestly can't remember, I was too overwhelmed)...I know the very difficult 22 is the Church, and Win had the only 23-25 mini run I have ever seen, but he too is still in search of the all illusive #26 (thanks to JB for posting)....

so, without further delay, I give you KONG!

chicago2007d.jpg

tomorrow, we will delve into one that will certainly grab Ryan's attention...AMF!

gator

:applause:

Thanks for posting these Rick!!

....ok, just so you know, I took multiple shots of the Amans, at different angles (and darn near fell off the chair I was standing on, to do it!)...Win's family was taking a nap (I didn't want to wake them, so I tried to control my enthusiasm and excitement, without yelling "yahoo" at the top of my lungs), so I pictured myself falling and landing on the nicely laid out group of comics, with me "screaming" at the potential pain, and Win "screaming" at the location I would have fallen onto (the books!)...but, luckily, gravity restored my equilibrium, and all continued to go well...

so, we are still in the Centaur "A's"....now, I am in my infancy at collecting this publisher, so I can't give you all much of a history lession, that say JB or Win can, but I have been doing a fair amount of "research" (with the focus on the "search" part) on this Publisher, and its titles, etc...I have continued to learn all I can...but, actually having a copy there, to open, to read, to smell, to feel (as Schomburg just eloquently posted in another thread) to be transported back to 1939 or 1940 and get to almost experience what kids (and likely adults too) did, was very enjoyable for me...

so one by one, Church copy by non Church copy, I examined, I FC graded (comparing my first impressions sometimes with Andy's notes on the back), I stared and I "awed and oohed"....and via Win's run, my cheap little camera, and some careful balancing, I can show you this (here you go Ryan):

chicago2007e.jpg

this afternoon....I will show you some "funny" pages....

gator

these are some of the best GA runs i have ever seen!!!!!

beautiful books!!!!

some me some New/Adventure runs please :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

hello all...

fortunately (or,unfortunately for swapto and Socratic wonder), it is Centaurs and others from here on out...no NA run to post, though if you look at centaurman's avatar, you will know that he does have some interest in them...

gator

Love that Amazing Man run. Awesome books Centaurman, and thanks to Detective27kid for creating this thread & organizing the photos. Really jaw dropping to see so many rare books in one group shot. Thumbs up all around.

so I tried to control my enthusiasm and excitement, without yelling "yahoo" at the top of my lungs),

gator

I know that feeling bro. It happens to me everytime I see your books, or Billy's or Bedrock's.....or....well you get the picture. :grin:

so don't feel like I got TOO lucky as it was a ton of "work".

Andy, I've already apologized profusely for making the introduction.

Next time I'll send ya over to my friend who runs the garbage collection company! :grin:

so I tried to control my enthusiasm and excitement, without yelling "yahoo" at the top of my lungs),

gator

I know that feeling bro. It happens to me everytime I see your books, or Billy's or Bedrock's.....or....well you get the picture. :grin:

"Ack!" and "Thbbbt!"

rick

.chicago2007e.jpg

Just an absolutely beautiful run of Centaur books. (thumbs u

I just love all the beautiful colours that showd up on the covers of this run. Especially the greens, reds, and blues which Pat K. used to say really made the Church images jump right off the covers. :cloud9:

Thanks to both you and Win for sharing these gorgeous books.

these are some of the best GA runs i have ever seen!!!!!

beautiful books!!!!

some me some New/Adventure runs please :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

hello all...

fortunately (or,unfortunately for swapto and Socratic wonder), it is Centaurs and others from here on out...no NA run to post, though if you look at centaurman's avatar, you will know that he does have some interest in them...

gator

:cry::cry:

Well Ben at least we got to see the Pre Hero Tec's!!!! :cloud9:

Thanks again Rick for all your work in putting this thread together!

Thanks to Win for putting such a beautiful collection together and being so cordial to fellow collectors!

I salute both of you!

As expected, mind-blowing AMF's. My fav run of the golden age, by far.

Thanks so much guys... exciting books!!! Win is a very dedicated collector.

:golfclap:(worship)

I have to see that 2/5 in person at some point. I've heard of its legendary eye-appeal...

Incredible books!!!! (worship) (worship) (worship)

Aww!!! Ohhh!!! I didn;t see AMF v2n4. Since I'm pretty far down the food chain, I guess that means I'll have to wait even longer to eeventually fulfill that book on my want list (it's at the top now). Must be even harder to obtain than I thought!!! #@"*&%#@+%@!!!!! doh!

....yes indeed, those AMF are truly amazing....another run I have started to tackle, is Funny Pages!....I love the early Biro and Ryan covers, right through the Tarpe Mills (had no idea Tarpe was a "she") blasts and up to the late (especially the ultra tough Arrow covers, and the super cool Mad Mings!) Bob Wood covers, and all in between (Win, correct me if I am wrong, but I think there is a Everett cover or 2, and I know I remember by Favorite Gustavson)...they are "must haves"....

I believe this is Win's largest run of Centaurs, I believe he is only missing a couple...so, pull a chair up, sit for a spell, and relax & enjoy...

chicago2007f.jpg

tomorrow, we will venture past the "F's"

gator

....I believe this is Win's largest run of Centaurs, I believe he is only missing a couple...so, pull a chair up, sit for a spell, and relax & enjoy...

chicago2007f.jpg

gator

OUCH!

I just fell out of my chair. ambulance.gif

I hope you have insurance that covers this sort of thing.

....yes indeed, those AMF are truly amazing....another run I have started to tackle, is Funny Pages!....I love the early Biro and Ryan covers, right through the Tarpe Mills (had no idea Tarpe was a "she") blasts and up to the late (especially the ultra tough Arrow covers, and the super cool Mad Mings!) Bob Wood covers, and all in between (Win, correct me if I am wrong, but I think there is a Everett cover or 2, and I know I remember by Favorite Gustavson)...they are "must haves"....

I believe this is Win's largest run of Centaurs, I believe he is only missing a couple...so, pull a chair up, sit for a spell, and relax & enjoy...

chicago2007f.jpg

gator

Amazing, amazing collection.

Just curious, CM, how long ago you started on your Centaur quest?

Just curious, CM, how long ago you started on your Centaur quest?

I've been at it since 2001, starting from scratch. Down to fewer than 30 issues out of the 290 or so Centaurs and Centaur-related books.

Which reminds me, if anyone has a book I need (you can tell which ones by looking at the group shots and seeing what's missing), let me know. I know most Centaur collectors won't take cash, so I won't insult you by offering it, but rather I've got a ton of super cool books I can trade, including the pre-hero DC's and some rare Centaur dupes. :wishluck::wishluck:

ok, so I threw a little "teaser" to see if anyone would catch (venturing "past the F's"), but alas, no one pointed out that Funny Picture Stories should be next....so, without any further delay...

chicago2007g.jpg

enojy!

gator