• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your breaking point on the price of Moderns

112 posts in this topic

Every week I go into my LCS I shutter rantrant at the rising prices of the Modern books, and have started to prune my list of buyable books. However the time has come where the price reaches the breaking point. For me that is going to be $4.00. :tonofbricks:Once the regular books get to that mark it's over ( however I might still go down and scan books I still like like Ultimate Spider-man ) :grin:

It's kinda like they pricing on smokes ( though I never did ) the price keeps going up till you look at how much you could save by not buying.

When it gets to $4.00 that money gets put in a pot to buy S I L V E R. :cloud9:

How about you? Is $20 to $30 a week just way too much? hm

WEBHEAD

I've reached my breaking point, and shifted strictly to trades, and buy them for at least 30% off on Amazon.

The other problem I have with buying the individual issues is that I'm more likely to try a new series that looks cool, only to discover it's not worth my time or $$. My collection is full of titles that I gave up on after the first issue or two. With trades, I can read old reviews or check out the modern section on the boards for a general opinion of the series.

I have a friend who just reads trades at the library, or finds a comfy chair at the local Barnes & Noble. There's something to be said for supporting the comics companies by buying the comics, but when the prices are as stupid as they've become, I just feel like I'm getting rooked every time I walk into the shop.

My breaking point is the price of the comic bag and board I bought have to buy to contain this modern drek.

Seriously though, my price if I were to even consider buying them, would be about 25 cents each in bulk through ebay, and a seller willing to ship them by media mail.

Annihilus buys moderns almost strictly in bulk off of eBay now at a buck a piece or less now. Most of the time they come bagged and boarded and have never been read. The latest example of this was a complete run of New Avengers 1-26 for $19 + $5 shipping. Good reading at a drastically discounted price.

If it's variants that you want, you can usually get them in a 40% off bin a few months after they come out (around here anyway).

Unfortunately to keep runs going I may not have a breaking point for at least 3 titles. Other than that I would say $5 and I will quit buying moderns. (I only buy 6 titles as it is).

I don't buy moderns anymore, so I save all of this money for older books that I enjoy and love. Mostly early 50's to 80's DC war.

If I can find good books at good prices, I'll most likely buy them, but for the most part, I say no to moderns.

When it gets to $4.00 that money gets put in a pot to buy S I L V E R. :cloud9:

WEBHEAD

Oh, and actual silver may be a better buy than silver age comic books.

Andy