• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your breaking point on the price of Moderns

112 posts in this topic

I stopped buying moderns about a year ago. Too expensive and most of what I was reading was just not that good. Strictly trades for me from now on.

My breaking point was 1.25... that was met a long time ago. Haven't bought a modern comic in over 15 years (or any comic at a comic store in over 10 years).

You just have to be patient, eventually you'll be able to get these moderns, if not already, very cheap on ebay.

My breaking point is when the LCS puts brand new books on the wall for $100.00 when they have been new for 3 days.

On a regular basis? Or the Cap 25 scenario?

Any "hot" book.

Cap 25, Wolverine Origin #1 as examples. They have wolverine 55 ( beheading of sabertooth ) on their wall for 20.00 right now. It is nauseating...

My breaking point was 1.25... that was met a long time ago. Haven't bought a modern comic in over 15 years (or any comic at a comic store in over 10 years).

You just have to be patient, eventually you'll be able to get these moderns, if not already, very cheap on ebay.

HAHAAH

I'm not far behind this thought train.

I bought Spider-Man (McFarlane) 1-50 then stopped buying raw books altogether as well as in the Amazing Series with the dawn of the Clonage series so around 1994. Been about 13-14 years of no modern buying. I bought the TPB's of Ultimate Spider-Man series for the most part and the random book such as Ultimate 100 just for a read once in a while but about 10-15 books in as many years off the newstand.

Richard

the breaking point for me is when I see a comic/variant for sale at 1/2 the price I paid for it within a month or 2 of the books initial release.

ugh

i'm really getting burned on World War Hulk

I'm pretty much at the point to where it's just strictly trades for me. if I can get them for 35-40% off on Amazon, like Nearmint suggested, or on

www.instocktrades.com/default.aspx

plus I enjoy the stories sooo much better when I read it all in one (or two) sittings and not in 12 parts stretched out over a year.

but to answer the question at hand I would say $3.00 is (was) my breaking point.

let me pose this to everyone,... what price do you think comics SHOULD be right now,. I will say no more than $1.50 for a regular monthly title.

Lets go a little further.

There is alot of talented artists out there. What would be their incentive to go into the comic book art business if there is no money to be made.

We all know that the original guys that jump started this hobby died poor, or rarely have anything to show for it today, for the majority of them anyways.

So I ask again, why would a talented artist today partake in the comic book world only to end up like these guys?

I think this is a case of people reminiscing about the good old days. There is a lot of great writers and artists currently working in comics. I don't promote buying a $100 worth of moderns every month, but who can't afford $25 a month? College students can even afford that (if they weren't spending it all on beer).

Unfortunately to keep runs going I may not have a breaking point for at least 3 titles. Other than that I would say $5 and I will quit buying moderns. (I only buy 6 titles as it is).
Agreed, I only buy two titles.

Annihilus buys moderns almost strictly in bulk off of eBay now at a buck a piece or less now. Most of the time they come bagged and boarded and have never been read. The latest example of this was a complete run of New Avengers 1-26 for $19 + $5 shipping. Good reading at a drastically discounted price.

If it's variants that you want, you can usually get them in a 40% off bin a few months after they come out (around here anyway).

ninanina buys moderns the same way. Always looking for runs that forum members sell as well. My breaking point was whatever they were selling for 4 years ago. That's when I gave up on moderns.

i remember when i'd buy every book that came out (within reason). now i'm real fussy. i ask myself, "what won't be in a dollar box in a few months?" then, i spend the savings on silver and gold. so i guess i hit my breaking point.

The breaking point for me was Marvel resurecting Captain Marvel and killing off Captain America. Not sure if that is what you mean but I swore off moderns for the most part after that. I still get Jonah Hex and Conan and Walking Dead.

I mean Captain America????? thats one character that should be off limits. And The first and only time I have ever cried reading a comic was when I was a kid and read the Graphic Novel the DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL. That scene for me of CAPTAIN MARVEL in bed dying while all the Marvel Heroes silently await his death at bedside....Beutifull tragic stuff. To bring him back last year the way they did....Lame, plus it disrespects Jim Starlins entire Thanos Storyline which culminated in The Captains death. Im ranting sorry!

Here's a look at my "pull list" from mailordercomics.com:

Picture1-7.png

(Marvel Zombie, and proud of it!) :banana:

So, I'm spending an avg of about $1.85 per issue. I can live with this, no problem. I still go to the LCS every weekend, and browse thru the books that I didn't order. Still pick up a few issues there, out of habit. But, the mail order really makes it easy.