• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE THESE COMIC BOOKS: What Do You Think?

58 posts in this topic

I would say that they are Comic Books. Heck they even say that they are comic books right on the cover.

I bought the Andy Panda one for my daughter off ebay several years ago. She was/is a Panda collector so I tried to get her Panda Comics whenever I found them

Could those comics have been published in a newspaper? Would that make this a TPB

A new key, "First Bugs/Panda TPBs"!! Quite a gold mine you're sitting on there.

:insane:

They are.....and yet...they're not. They exist in a sort of comic/big little book limbo. They are a comic related book. They are a strange marriage of the two, doomed to wander the universe as neither a comic book or a big little book. They remind me of that SNL character that no one could ever figure out if it were man or woman.

These are somewhat scarce, i avidly collect all kinds of comic books in formats different from the Famous Funnies model popular to many people here

To me, Big Little Books say same on the cover.

Better Little Books are BLBs, but are not Big Little Books, they are better than that

Whitman changed their name from Big Little to Better Little to point out a "better" difference

In the early 1940s, Whitman transformed many of their Better Little Book titles into All Picture Comics, comic strips on both sides of the fold, lots of Bugs Bunnys were made this new way in the 1940s, for example plus numerous other titles

By 1943 they issued something they clearly call TALL COMIC BOOK on the front cover

so, even though Whitman calls these "comic book", they still do not fit that bill for some of you

Guess it is a clear shot across the bow to revamp a bit in my "origin of the modern comic book" history article i have supplied the Overstreet Guide for a decade now. The deadline was moved up a few months - and I am looking at my stuff here as I keep tweaking the information

Black Hand comes in closest of potential nay-sayers who are S.O.S. regarding the format narrowness for a definition of what is a comic book. A comic/BLB Limbo, in between, not quite one, not quite the other.

Fuelman sez we must have a magazine folded over using staples to be a comic book

Bedrock Rick placed them in Big Little Book-Land albeit TALL BLBs. SO did Angelo Watcher

Is cool jmg3637 got one for his daughter - my kids read at these many moons ago when they were younger also

- Scrooge, ripb, Capt Ffreak and Jack S agree with Comics Reality also - there is hope for this forum yet -:)

As far as i know, these were done as original material for these "comic books"

- maybe the Bugs also appeared in early Looney Tunes but i work from memory from having had all early issues of LT in the past including a few #1s

They are.....and yet...they're not. They exist in a sort of comic/big little book limbo. They are a comic related book. They are a strange marriage of the two, doomed to wander the universe as neither a comic book or a big little book. They remind me of that SNL character that no one could ever figure out if it were man or woman.

It's Pat!

Maybe it's just me, but I consider those books with comics in the interior. To me a true comic book is folded and stapled with a paper cover or a paper with gloss cover.

"Ceci n'est pas une 'comic book'"?

Jack

42606-Magritte-pipe.jpg