• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Announces New Signature Series Program

170 posts in this topic

The funny thing is kevin, you could make it free and people would complain.

This whole thing is in the TESTING phase, how about we give CGC the benefit of the doubt until all the kinks are worked out. People are killing it before anyone has even seen or tested the program. I seriously doubt this will change OA as we know it.

SS has been around for 5 years and no one besides a select few charge for their signatures even though I'm pretty sure every creator knows that CGC exists and people are selling the stuff. The sky is not falling yet.

If it was free, I'd use it in a heartbeat. However, I still feel that it will change commission/sketch prices, because of eBay. Sketches/Commissions on eBay have already change many creators price ranges. Maybe not immediately, but once the slabbing of OA becomes a little more popular, like SS.

The funny thing is kevin, you could make it free and people would complain.

This whole thing is in the TESTING phase, how about we give CGC the benefit of the doubt until all the kinks are worked out. People are killing it before anyone has even seen or tested the program. I seriously doubt this will change OA as we know it.

SS has been around for 5 years and no one besides a select few charge for their signatures even though I'm pretty sure every creator knows that CGC exists and people are selling the stuff. The sky is not falling yet.

If it was free, I'd use it in a heartbeat. However, I still feel that it will change commission/sketch prices, because of eBay. Sketches/Commissions on eBay have already change many creators price ranges. Maybe not immediately, but once the slabbing of OA becomes a little more popular, like SS.

the only real change I have noticed is that some creators will personalize the art if not in a sketchbook. I think the raising of some commission prices are based on the artist popularity has gone up and they would like to get fair market value for their work. I don't see any tables where there are separate price lists for sketchbooks vs loose commissions.

Did a bunch of Posts Dissappear from last night/this morning?

My one contribution to this thread from last night. :tonofbricks:

I'll try the service. Mostly since I don't get the chance to stand in line. I'm either with kids or diving into boxes. So, I would consider this service helpful.

I was looking for Kris's post, but the must of been deleted also.

I, in the long run like the idea. I can't wait for Priate to get me some great Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard sketches.......I will provide you some back boards if needed :baiting:

Yes it seems all my post were removed though they were not vulgar of violent. I am upset that my post were removed.

the only real change I have noticed is that some creators will personalize the art if not in a sketchbook. I think the raising of some commission prices are based on the artist popularity has gone up and they would like to get fair market value for their work. I don't see any tables where there are separate price lists for sketchbooks vs loose commissions.

From personal experience, I've had a few artists, change their sketch/commission policy by raising their prices, because of eBay. I don't deny the increase in popularity could be a factor, but like I said, the artists flat out stated eBay.

I could be wrong with how I feel about the service will affect the prices of commissions/sketches, but that's not gonna change how I feel about it now. I am willing to wait and see how it goes.

I, in the long run like the idea. I can't wait for Priate to get me some great Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard sketches.......I will provide you some back boards if needed :baiting:

Yes it seems all my post were removed though they were not vulgar of voilent. I am upset that my post were removed.

They sounded like fighting words to me, since they were directed towards me.

A few things I would add from my point of view...(yes Jordan I am a witness...lol)

Currently I take (along with Anthony) quite a few SS requests and spend a large portion, if not all of the show, getting signatures on books. I am not sure what the general public knows about getting signatures, but it is a daunting task to say the least...very rewarding, but not much down time even after the show is over for the night.

I can see a lot of customers asking or requesting for OA instead of Signatures (which is their choice if the service is offered by us). You can sense it from this thread already and while I think it can be a great addition to the SS program (standing seperate of course), you do have several hurdles as a witness.

First, what do you take (and Kevin already alluded to requests, but I believe it is missing from the thread now) and from who? We have lots of Walking Dead collectors who love to send books for SS (God Bless em!), now will they decide that they want OA from Adlard or Moore instead, and then who do I or any other witness take the request from? I know with Tony Moore alone I had over 5 people asking me to get a commission from him and that was without this program being announced.

Second, most budgets are limited and the majority of people that submit books to witnesses (again only from my experience) have a limited budget with the pricing the way it is. So now they have to factor in the OA program and balance that with their requests. Getting signatures from creators generally was something that was mapped out, as in, who signed, what lines were like generally, who was obtainable etc. With sketches, you have no idea at any time if a request can be fulfilled either on the witness end or the creator end.

Third, many times creators have a short short list (see Tony Moore or the majority of other artists) for commissions/sketches. You typically need to be there right when the show opens to get 1 done. You can't be at several lines at the same time trying to get on the list. And during this time, you are trying to get in other lines to get signatures (as mentioned earlier) for customers.

Fourth, if someone requests a sketch from someone for this program and the artist does one and it looks...'iffy' as a sketch, where am I as a witness for my customer? Do I 'sub' the sketch just because it is the artist they asked for, even though it a real quick sketch or do I know hold the sketch and not sub it as I am unsure. This also could be something that could be discussed further. The possibility of CGC at shows providing scanning options for customers who request but are not available to see the sketch, but want to sub...and then that opens a whole new can of worms...if they say no, and the witness just spent and hour in line for their sketch...

There are a ton of questions and possibilities not only from the customers POV but from our POV.

CGC has done an excellent job of making and refining SS to be the best it can be, and they are still always listening to what can be done to further the product and the program. I am sure the OA program will be the same!

Yes it seems all my post were removed though they were not vulgar of voilet. I am upset that my post were removed.

Flowers :cloud9:

Jon -

Man that was a lot to read. Anyways this seem like a job in its self. It would be hard for you all to get all these sketches plus getting 50+ books signed at a show.

I like the idea, but man this will make you all (plus me after Baltimore) WAY busy.

Also, I was one of the Moore sketch requesters, now I think it is a better way to charge for all these requesters.

Come on fellas, everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

I agree 100%. He just said his thread shouldn't have been pulled, he attacked me and called me names. I didn't respond because I didn't want trouble because I'm the new guy. This has bothered me very much the last 18 hours or so. I don't act that passively in real life. He was being a bully because he didn't agree with me. I don't like appeasing bullies.

There are going to be some heated debates over this. The most calm person (as always) is Kevin. He also is the best person to direct questions to as he can voice them to Paul at CGC.

Thecollector and ArmyDoc are 2 of the nicest guys on the boards, without your opinions on the matter (whether anyone agrees with them or not) the program can't be furthered. Your opinions do matter to this program from both a potential customer to a witness. Add your 2 cents, you never know what discussion might come out it. But personal stuff about what someone feels on this matter shouldn't be attacked, maybe refuted, but never attacked...

(how is that for wordy FF lol)

I agree 100%. He just said his thread shouldn't have been pulled, he attacked me and called me names. I didn't respond because I didn't want trouble because I'm the new guy. This has bothered me very much the last 18 hours or so. I don't act that passively in real life. He was being a bully because he didn't agree with me. I don't like appeasing bullies.

I know I said That I was not making any comments. But now you are talking about me. I do not appreciate this.

I know I said That I was not making any comments. But now you are talking about me. I do not appreciate this.

Lets just agree to disagree than. I'm really not that bad of a guy, you just hurt my feelings.

Peace?