• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Announces New Signature Series Program

170 posts in this topic

I should clarify, I was not suggesting there be a grade, I was questioning why CGC is now in the encapsulation/authenticating business when there is no grading involved.

Think of it as a natural extension of Signature Series services.

Why not just provide an encapsulation service so that everyone can just submit their OA, It can just serve to protect the OA. I doubt anyone would object to that.

How about a green label for unauthenticated OA and yellow for ones obtained recently w/a SS Witness?

I should clarify, I was not suggesting there be a grade, I was questioning why CGC is now in the encapsulation/authenticating business when there is no grading involved.

Think of it as a natural extension of Signature Series services.

Why not just provide an encapsulation service so that everyone can just submit their OA, It can just serve to protect the OA. I doubt anyone would object to that.

How about a green label for unauthenticated OA and yellow for ones obtained recently w/a SS Witness?

There is definitely a negative connotation with the GLOD though. I really respect the professional manner in which you've been responding to all of us nay sayers. You've brought up a lot of valid points that I hadn't considered when I first heard about this.

The funny thing is kevin, you could make it free and people would complain.

This whole thing is in the TESTING phase, how about we give CGC the benefit of the doubt until all the kinks are worked out. People are killing it before anyone has even seen or tested the program. I seriously doubt this will change OA as we know it.

SS has been around for 5 years and no one besides a select few charge for their signatures even though I'm pretty sure every creator knows that CGC exists and people are selling the stuff. The sky is not falling yet.

The funny thing is kevin, you could make it free and people would complain.

This whole thing is in the TESTING phase, how about we give CGC the benefit of the doubt until all the kinks are worked out. People are killing it before anyone has even seen or tested the program. I seriously doubt this will change OA as we know it.

SS has been around for 5 years and no one besides a select few charge for their signatures even though I'm pretty sure every creator knows that CGC exists and people are selling the stuff. The sky is not falling yet.

Good points. I guess it is human nature to be resistant to new things and change.

:)

i'm just excited at the prospect of being able to get some Captain America sketches authenticated and encapsulated.

hopefully the cost is lower than the universal grading fee. that would be awesome!!

i'm just excited at the prospect of being able to get some Captain America sketches authenticated and encapsulated.

hopefully the cost is lower than the universal grading fee. that would be awesome!!

I would think it would be a little less than universal grading because the grading aspect isn't part of the equation. The slabbing of the book is what would be charged for (which is fair). I don't see what CGC charges being a problem. I guess it's the same as the difference between slabbing a run of the mill book or a high end book. The difference will be in the value of what's in the slab.

There is definitely a negative connotation with the GLOD though. I really respect the professional manner in which you've been responding to all of us nay sayers. You've brought up a lot of valid points that I hadn't considered when I first heard about this.

Thanks armydoc. I suggested green as that is how unwitnessed signatures are currently encapsulated (saying basically - this is a signature but no Witness was there to verify it's authenticity), and I guess an unwitnessed sketch would fall into a similar pattern. It would allow for any piece of OA that fits to be encapsulated.

Blue somehow doesn't quite fit, but I'm just offering my personal opinion.

I would think it would be a little less than universal grading because the grading aspect isn't part of the equation. The slabbing of the book is what would be charged for (which is fair). I don't see what CGC charges being a problem. I guess it's the same as the difference between slabbing a run of the mill book or a high end book. The difference will be in the value of what's in the slab.

The only comparable service at this time is the reholder service, which does not involve regrading. Cost for that is $11 per reholder. I'm just bringing this up for perspective - the price for this new service has not been announced as of yet.

Yeah, this is a tough one because it seems hard to allow a pre existing sketch to be authenticated by an artist, but not a signature. I agree that the blue label doesn't seem right. The only answer may be to only allow "new" sketches the chance at slabbing. This guarantees authenticity without the appearance of a double standard.

For me, there's some appeal to holdering some of my older (small) sketches which is why I've discussed it, but if I can't put them in as SS OA then a Qualified label is an acceptable alternative as the primary reason for why I would do it with my older pieces is to protect them and display them.

For me, there's some appeal to holdering some of my older (small) sketches which is why I've discussed it, but if I can't put them in as SS OA then a Qualified label is an acceptable alternative as the primary reason for why I would do it with my older pieces is to protect them and display them.

if they used the qualified label, what do you think the label would read?

"character name" sketch by "artist name" (with what is in quotation marks to literally be in quotation marks) or something else?

I wonder what ridiculous fee CGC is going to charge to authenticate a drawing on a backing board. Wow.

Thanks for contributing :hi: