• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This has the potential to change everything

34 posts in this topic

I don't like the idea either, but they're not GRADING any art. Since they already serve as a witness for signature series books, they're exploring the idea of witnessing artists' sketches and having them slabbed as "officially by (that artist)". Given the number of sketches they won't witness, the exercise seems futile...is anyone so disturbed by "fake" con sketches that they'll only buy a CGC-witnessed one? Doubt it. Or, better put, hope not!

Dan

No grading, just small pieces - smaller than a mag holder, preferrably comic backboard sized. No original art pages, they are too big. Not planning on setting up at every convention either, although CGC Witnesses do go to almost all of them between them. Basically it's using the existing encapsulation process to put small original art pieces in the CGC holder. Won't have any noticable impact on CGC's existing grading services as graders aren't involved.

I'd like to go to the Calgary con next year. I've heard good things.

As I just wrote in the thread in the Signature Room, this is all premature talk. We need to figure out how this will work "in the field" and see if it can realistically be done.

And how much is this service going to cost? $5 sounds reasonable. No grading, no resto check, just a slab and someone standing there who is there anyway for the SS books.

Well, someone else mentioned this, but this is pretty much the same as CGC's reholdering service (no grading or resto check with that), and that is $11. I could see the new service being around that price point, imho :)

And how much is this service going to cost? $5 sounds reasonable. No grading, no resto check, just a slab and someone standing there who is there anyway for the SS books.

Well, someone else mentioned this, but this is pretty much the same as CGC's reholdering service (no grading or resto check with that), and that is $11. I could see the new service being around that price point, imho :)

Steve,

Agreed, $11 sounds fair considering the similarity with reholdering. The only thing is that CGC charges more right now for a book (modern) to be slabbed SS ($27) vs. universal($16), so it'll probably be more around the $20 area IMO.

This is what I hear at least.

Steve,

Agreed, $11 sounds fair considering the similarity with reholdering. The only thing is that CGC charges more right now for a book (modern) to be slabbed SS ($27) vs. universal($16), so it'll probably be more around the $20 area IMO.

That's true George.....but is the cost to reholder a SS book still $11.00 though, just like universal books?

Steve,

That's true George.....but is the cost to reholder a SS book still $11.00 though, just like universal books?

I don't know? One of the witnesses should be able to answer that.

I could see some artist using sizes of paper or cardboard that don't fit the cgc holder. An attempt to not have people profit on them.

A small sketch on a larger piece of paper than a mag holder could just be cut down to fit the holder (not that I'm suggesting CGC would do this). The image would have to be larger than a mag holder for that to work, which benefits the client doesn't it? They get a bigger sketch.