• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your all-time favorite Neal Adams Covers?

2,344 posts in this topic

I just bought the 3 issue Adam Strange set on Ebay that Teddie talked about. I am in for intelligent super heroes, all for it. Outside of Neal Adams covers, the Adam Strange covers throughout the 60's are incredible. I even own a Adam Strange cover, Strange Adventures 241, that I bought because it was cool.

SO here we go down a new collecting path, great..... :frustrated:

Yep, those covers were cool...

scan0002resized.jpg

how nice is that in person? :o

is there an Adam Strange thread?

Adams is so versatile as an artist, I mean from Deadly Hands Of Kung Fu to Phantom Stranger to Brave And The Bold, each has it's own charm. It is hard to pick a single favorite or two. But, if I had to, I would choose House Of Mystery #192. I think that cover is classic and one of the best horror covers of all of the Bronze age period, only being rivaled by a Wrightson cover or two. I do not have one to post here now, but a guy is strapped to a table, and some mad doctor is about to replace his brain with another. The atmosphere is dark too, so it is the feel of the entire composition which makes it a stand out for me. Anyone have a scan of it to post

This is a wonderful thread, and am glad to join into it.

I have 6 books on the way from different sources. I should have one a day to post.

HoM181_96.jpg

I have never seen this one. I continue to be amazed at the sheer number of Adams covers out there, and virtually no bad ones. DC must have made some serious money off of him, as each one would have been impossible to resist on the newsstand.

I love the fact that there isn't a single word on the cover.

how nice is that in person? :o

is there an Adam Strange thread?

It's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! I lucked out...bought it sight unseen out of a catalogue back in the 90's. I remember calling the guy up and asking about it and a few others, because he had them listed in Fine, and he pulled them out and said they looked better. He was right!

I know there's a Mystery in Space thread over in Silver.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1378148#Post1378148

Adams is so versatile as an artist, I mean from Deadly Hands Of Kung Fu to Phantom Stranger to Brave And The Bold, each has it's own charm. It is hard to pick a single favorite or two. But, if I had to, I would choose House Of Mystery #192. I think that cover is classic and one of the best horror covers of all of the Bronze age period, only being rivaled by a Wrightson cover or two. I do not have one to post here now, but a guy is strapped to a table, and some mad doctor is about to replace his brain with another. The atmosphere is dark too, so it is the feel of the entire composition which makes it a stand out for me. Anyone have a scan of it to post

This is a wonderful thread, and am glad to join into it.

Yeah, I think we've long ago given up on the concept of a "favorite" Adams cover. For me it depends on which one I've seen most recently. lol

I have 6 books on the way from different sources. I should have one a day to post.

:o You're on a roll!

And thanks to you and side kick Teddie, I have to look into Adams STrange... :)

HoM181_96.jpg

I have never seen this one. I continue to be amazed at the sheer number of Adams covers out there, and virtually no bad ones. DC must have made some serious money off of him, as each one would have been impossible to resist on the newsstand.

You know, that sounds like a thread...."cover's without words"

How many times have you seen a cover ruined by either the title or words?

HoM181_96.jpg

You know, that sounds like a thread...."cover's without words"

How many times have you seen a cover ruined by either the title or words?

I just did a quick look at mine and I found about 6 covers with no words other than the title. Several from H o Secrets/Mystery

They are sweet!

Thanks for posting that scan of HOS #192 Dover! Yeah, that's the one. Ghastly and perfect! BTW, nice grade on that. I think Adams also did some covers on Power Record Comics, Limited Collectors' Edition, Iron Jaw, Star Reach and other esoteric Bronze Age. And I forgot to add Superman #233. That is also one of my favorites. Yeah, depends on the one I've seen most recently too. Well said John.

Thanks for posting that scan of HOS #192 Dover! Yeah, that's the one. Ghastly and perfect! BTW, nice grade on that. I think Adams also did some covers on Power Record Comics, Limited Collectors' Edition, Iron Jaw, Star Reach and other esoteric Bronze Age. And I forgot to add Superman #233. That is also one of my favorites. Yeah, depends on the one I've seen most recently too. Well said John.

I love looking at these covers too!!

Superman233CGC96WPlr.jpg