• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVICE: Batman 23 in HG...what would you do?

50 posts in this topic

1) No bleed through on inside front cover at all re: color touch.

The white color touch mentioned is very small but obvious and is on the white of the cover, not black. It is at the top staple. Very small but obvious. For some reason, the "resto" guy didn't bother touching-up all of the rust stain, which is pretty darn small anyway itself.

The bottom staple has perhaps three particles of white color touch. So small I'm not sure if it is even there.

2) The cover @ top extends perhaps 1/8 of an inch or less over the pages front & back, equally. The pages extend an equal amount below the cover at the bottom, front & back. I tend to believe this is evidence of re-assembly, not trimming; maybe I'm wrong.

3) The pages are so WHITE all of the way through they hurt my eyes so I had to put on my REVO's.

4) The book looks like it is new!

5) What other restoration issues do the Boards see, suspect?

Thanks MrBedrock, of course I'll follow your advice!

I would take a much closer look for c/t on the upper left corner and around the top staple as Batman_Fan and JTMF suggested, preferably with a black light if you have one. Take a look at the negative image of your scan - sometimes that can make sight color differences show up more clearly.

Jeff

batman23comp01.jpg

I just grabbed the black light that I use for enjoying my Third Eye Marvel posters and headed straight for the points of your arrows. Absolute top, left corner has a spot of black C/T w/bleed through.

There has been concern over the price I paid and thanks for that. I paid a fair price and I will sell it for a fair price. The book is beyond reproach but for the restoration issues described above.

Thanks!

1) No bleed through on inside front cover at all re: color touch.

The white color touch mentioned is very small but obvious and is on the white of the cover, not black. It is at the top staple. Very small but obvious. For some reason, the "resto" guy didn't bother touching-up all of the rust stain, which is pretty darn small anyway itself.

The bottom staple has perhaps three particles of white color touch. So small I'm not sure if it is even there.

2) The cover @ top extends perhaps 1/8 of an inch or less over the pages front & back, equally. The pages extend an equal amount below the cover at the bottom, front & back. I tend to believe this is evidence of re-assembly, not trimming; maybe I'm wrong.

3) The pages are so WHITE all of the way through they hurt my eyes so I had to put on my REVO's.

4) The book looks like it is new!

5) What other restoration issues do the Boards see, suspect?

Thanks MrBedrock, of course I'll follow your advice!

I would take a much closer look for c/t on the upper left corner and around the top staple as Batman_Fan and JTMF suggested, preferably with a black light if you have one. Take a look at the negative image of your scan - sometimes that can make sight color differences show up more clearly.

Jeff

batman23comp01.jpg

I just grabbed the black light that I use for enjoying my Third Eye Marvel posters and headed straight for the points of your arrows. Absolute top, left corner has a spot of black C/T w/bleed through.

There has been concern over the price I paid and thanks for that. I paid a fair price and I will sell it for a fair price. The book is beyond reproach but for the restoration issues described above.

Thanks!

Well allright then! You can't lose with a positive attitude like that. And I think your avatar is awesome! :golfclap:

hello all...

one thing you must consider, is that with the cover overhang, CGC cannot encapsulate the book...they will grade it, and resto check it, and if you can view the results online, you can see their grade, etc, but once it goes to the encapsulation part of the process and they cannot continue, the grade gets zeroed out, and it will come back with "unable to encapsulate due to cover overhang"...

and, with staples potentially having been replaced and color touch, this book, though it looks great, will likely grade in the apparent vf range (especially if rust is apparent on cover and the spine roll) and probably sell in the sub unrestored VG price range (I would estimate g-vg price)...it is unfortunate, that the market treats a beaut of a book that way, but that is my opinion...

gator

hello all...

one thing you must consider, is that with the cover overhang, CGC cannot encapsulate the book...they will grade it, and resto check it, and if you can view the results online, you can see their grade, etc, but once it goes to the encapsulation part of the process and they cannot continue, the grade gets zeroed out, and it will come back with "unable to encapsulate due to cover overhang"...

and, with staples potentially having been replaced and color touch, this book, though it looks great, will likely grade in the apparent vf range (especially if rust is apparent on cover and the spine roll) and probably sell in the sub unrestored VG price range (I would estimate g-vg price)...it is unfortunate, that the market treats a beaut of a book that way, but that is my opinion...

gator

Food for thought!

One point, there isn't any spine roll.

May post book for sale after attending to much more important Sunday morning matters with the family.

Good catch, Theagenes. And an excellent tip on looking for color touch. (worship)

hello all...

gator

Food for thought!

One point, there isn't any spine roll.

May post book for sale after attending to much more important Sunday morning matters with the family.

hm... the fact that the cover and pages now protrudes upwards, would indicate a minor spine roll (it is also visiable from the lower spine to the upper spine on the back cover jpg)...not all spine rolls are horizontal, this is a prime example of a vertical (albeit slight) spine roll upwards...

again, I don't have the book in my possessin, but from the images, that is what it appears like to me

rick

Thanks for everyone's take (thanks to you too here at the end Rick)!

The book is now in the for sale thread!

good luck , it is one of my Favorite all Time Batman issues! :applause:

hello all...

gator

Good observations. Yes I doubt they'd encapsulate. A resto report would be nice to have anyway.

I would agree with this assessment of grade although I think the sum of flaws (staples, spine roll, spine, llc, and what looks like an abused upper left corner they tried to fox) makes this 7.0 apparent at best. I think an unrestored G/VG price ($300-400?)- is pretty much on.

It's a shame someone did that to the book.

The pages are so WHITE all of the way through they hurt my eyes

The book looks like it is new!

Tupenny,

I think it is wise of you to seek our opinions, but I have a question for you....what do YOU think of the book????

It sounds like you are very happy with it, and if that's the case, minor color touch and other resto concerns are a non-issue if you are aware of them, and have accepted them as a component of this book. It has great eye appeal and WHITE pages / you mentioned this several times .......maybe the answer you seek lies within yourself ... hm

I bought a rare copy of The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis #1 last month, and proudly posted some pics on the Boards...you could hear a pin drop...it was like I posted an image of my new trash can. My point is, I didn't care at all, because I was happy with the book and still am. Perhaps you could be happy as well.........

Steve

pons' trash can has received plenty of love over the past year or so steve, maybe yours is as good--post that bad boy.

is returning the book to the dealer out of the question? If you think it is, fo rwhat ever reason, you should ponder outing the dealer here (after warning him first) so that our reaction might stir him to setling this situation with you to maintain his good name.

The pages are so WHITE all of the way through they hurt my eyes

The book looks like it is new!

Tupenny,

I think it is wise of you to seek our opinions, but I have a question for you....what do YOU think of the book????

It sounds like you are very happy with it, and if that's the case, minor color touch and other resto concerns are a non-issue if you are aware of them, and have accepted them as a component of this book. It has great eye appeal and WHITE pages / you mentioned this several times .......maybe the answer you seek lies within yourself ... hm

I bought a rare copy of The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis #1 last month, and proudly posted some pics on the Boards...you could hear a pin drop...it was like I posted an image of my new trash can. My point is, I didn't care at all, because I was happy with the book and still am. Perhaps you could be happy as well.........

Steve

pons' trash can has received plenty of love over the past year or so steve, maybe yours is as good--post that bad boy.

:cloud9:

is returning the book to the dealer out of the question? If you think it is, fo rwhat ever reason, you should ponder outing the dealer here (after warning him first) so that our reaction might stir him to setling this situation with you to maintain his good name.

I hope it's not Wilhelm Uthe (Germany)...

I'm afraid so:

LINK

Tupenny, you're lucky he actually sent the book and didn't just take your cash. I think he has "sold" this book about a dozen times. It's sad to say, but I will never buy a book from Germany because of this guy and all his usernames - he has ruined an entire country for me. :(

Jeff

I'm afraid so:

LINK

Tupenny, you're lucky he actually sent the book and didn't just take your cash. I think he has "sold" this book about a dozen times. It's sad to say, but I will never buy a book from Germany because of this guy and all his usernames - he has ruined an entire country for me. :(

Jeff

ouch...the mad german strikes again :(

rick

I'm afraid so:

LINK

Jeff

ouch...the mad german strikes again :(

rick

which of course immediately calls into question the state of the other two books... :sorry:

Interesting character they have over there in Germany. It seems he has been up to no good for a long time. Once again thanks for the tip Jeff!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1063552&page=0&fpart=1

This book, however, is beautiful (albiet restored)...that being said, in light of the above thread, I would pass on buying from him if I were anyone reading this!

It's sad to say, but I will never buy a book from Germany because of this guy and all his usernames - he has ruined an entire country for me. :(

Jeff,

Not to sound stupid but what is it that you are claiming from this seller?

Sorry, I was a little vague there. "weserkuriere" is the latest incarnation of Wilhelm Uthe, who has apparently been scamming people for decades. He's a real piece of work. Check out the thread Tupenny posted above.

Jeff