• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Yeah, that one goes down as one of the worst auctions I have seen in a while. It might be a steal if someone wants to do some digging for scans/better pics. After all, it is in readable condition and will be shipped in a hard plastic case. lol

Edited by kimik

Well, the GL books in tonight's Clink auction, including four of mine, did not do very well at all (reposted here from Comics General):

:banana: - picked up the GL #11 9.4 for $950 below last GPA.

Wowsers. :applause:

other than the adams issues- GL looked deader than a doornail

Unfortunately, they were. I sold my 8.0 copy of GL #8 for $450 in December within 2 days of posting it on Clink, but my 9.0 (soft 9.0 in my opinion - should have been 8.5 at best) only fetched $593. I should have just listed it on the site instead. doh!

I also had the 9.0 #15 (lost money on it), 9.0 #18 (made money) and 8.0 #20 (break even but bought it as a higher grade originally).

Looks like the demand for GL is primarily with SC #22, GL #1, GL #7, GL #16, GL #18 and GL #76 right now.

Looks like some of the froth is off of the market for now.

Well, the GL books in tonight's Clink auction, including four of mine, did not do very well at all (reposted here from Comics General):

:banana: - picked up the GL #11 9.4 for $950 below last GPA.
:

Wowsers. :applause:

other than the adams issues- GL looked deader than a doornail

Unfortunately, they were. I sold my 8.0 copy of GL #8 for $450 in December within 2 days of posting it on Clink, but my 9.0 (soft 9.0 in my opinion - should have been 8.5 at best) only fetched $593. I should have just listed it on the site instead. doh!

I also had the 9.0 #15 (lost money on it), 9.0 #18 (made money) and 8.0 #20 (break even but bought it as a higher grade originally).

Looks like the demand for GL is primarily with SC #22, GL #1, GL #7, GL #16, GL #18 and GL #76 right now.

Looks like some of the froth is off of the market for now.

I think it's just bad timing. An Amazing Fantasy 15 4.0 only sold for $5K. Seems like you do better on just listing it and you can decide the price that suit you. :(

Edited by showcase22gr1959

There is a limited group of HG SA DC collectors to start with, and when one of us sells off their books that is one fewer bidders to drive up the prices. However, I think it is more due to the current economic situation than anything. Last fall we had a lot of great books come up for sale in the numerous auctions and with collectors likely tightening their belts this had to happen sooner or later. I am just going to stick with my GL #7 for now, and add a replacement copy of SC #22 and GL #1 later this year. No need to get any non-key books from the looks of things.

I'd have thought you would want to pick up the non-keys while prices were depressed unless you think they will be falling further?

The SC #22 market is one I've been quietly observing. I decided not to pick up a mid-grade copy last year as the buyers on the boards had a major impact on SC #22 prices. A number of you had multiple copies and were continuing to bid on further copies with bidding based on your previous buying history.

This made it difficult to pick up a copy within my price range.

There is obviously buying appetite outside the boards for SC #22 as evidenced by the high price generated on the 9.0 last year.

It will be interesting to see how this year pans out and whether the board as a whole are net buyers or sellers.

I'd have thought you would want to pick up the non-keys while prices were depressed unless you think they will be falling further?

The SC #22 market is one I've been quietly observing. I decided not to pick up a mid-grade copy last year as the buyers on the boards had a major impact on SC #22 prices. A number of you had multiple copies and were continuing to bid on further copies with bidding based on your previous buying history.

There is obviously buying appetite outside the boards for SC #22 as evidenced by the high price generated on the 9.0 last year.

It will be interesting to see how this year pans out and whether the board as a whole are net buyers or sellers.

I acquired and flipped multiple copies of SC #22 in the 3.0 - 5.0 range last year and did very well. (thumbs u Prices have pulled back on it now so I am hoping that a nice 6.0+ copy will be more affordable later this year or even next year after the movie hype dies down (especially if it flops at the box office)

WRT to the regular GL series, I think that there is definitely some room for the non-keys to move up but after #10 they are not difficult to find in HG and there is not huge demand for them (great Gil Kane artwork, but crummy 60s DC stories). Look at the 9.4 GL #11, as a good example. The only issues that continue to hold up relatively well are the keys and hard to find in HG issues like #18. GL #7 has always been in a class of its own since it is so tough to find in any grade, and prices have now started to adjust to reflect this. However, I think that the Mound City prices might stay as highs for a while now since most of the books (excluding the #7 that a boardie snagged) were snapped up by a determined/overzealous GL collector that went there specifically for that run.

As far as this year goes, I think we may be starting to see another plateau and correction in the market across the board (except for GA and other uber keys). Prices have been going up for HG books for a long time now, and with the current economic conditions I would not be surprised if we see a bit of a pull back in prices like we did in 2002. The only question will be how fast the speculative money exits once the first hint of price drops starts.

I acquired and flipped multiple copies of SC #22 in the 3.0 - 5.0 range last year and did very well. (thumbs u Prices have pulled back on it now so I am hoping that a nice 6.0+ copy will be more affordable later this year or even next year after the movie hype dies down (especially if it flops at the box office)

WRT to the regular GL series, I think that there is definitely some room for the non-keys to move up but after #10 they are not difficult to find in HG and there is not huge demand for them (great Gil Kane artwork, but crummy 60s DC stories). Look at the 9.4 GL #11, as a good example. The only issues that continue to hold up relatively well are the keys and hard to find in HG issues like #18. GL #7 has always been in a class of its own since it is so tough to find in any grade, and prices have now started to adjust to reflect this. However, I think that the Mound City prices might stay as highs for a while now since most of the books (excluding the #7 that a boardie snagged) were snapped up by a determined/overzealous GL collector that went there specifically for that run.

As far as this year goes, I think we may be starting to see another plateau and correction in the market across the board (except for GA and other uber keys). Prices have been going up for HG books for a long time now, and with the current economic conditions I would not be surprised if we see a bit of a pull back in prices like we did in 2002. The only question will be how fast the speculative money exits once the first hint of price drops starts.

Great thoughts and insights of the comic market. I have been a bull for a while and have been very well rewarded for holding and not selling. Any price corrections or price drop on keys issues will be a buying opportunity. The long term trend is still up on the quality and well known SA keys. I noticed HG Silver Age and Bronze Age Amazing Spiderman always hold up very well. If prices drop on those, I'm looking.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I didn't bid on anything because the baby my wife and I are expecting in May. I would have been all over some of those books otherwise. The #29 was pretty soft on final price too, I would have expected it to go for $1500-$1800. Black Hand is pretty big in the GL universe right now.