• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just the covers or is the Golden Age Submariner Huge VS the Silver Namor

25 posts in this topic

I haven't read any golden age books which I will change in the next year or so once my ASM201-300 set is complete but is the Submariner bigger in the actual comics or is it just the dramatic effect the artists were going for when they drew the covers to some of the golden age books??

I have seen a few with Subby tipping over an aircraft carrier and holding down a drawbridge on the covers.

Just curious to those who have read alot of these GA books.

Richard

It is totally for dramatic effect on the covers. Particularly the early GA run (1-20) where sometimes he is tipping aircraft carriers with his bare hands. He was normal size in the interior stories.

He was equally bitter in both the GA and SA though!

Thanks. That's what I figured but as I've never read the inside of any of those beauties I have no clue. The struggle after my collection as to what to move into........

Silver age Spideys VS Human Torch / Subby / Captain America Timely's..

ARRRRGHHH

Either one will be a nice chunk of change but those timely books will be harder to find so I might sway that direction.........

If only money wasn't a factor

Thanks. That's what I figured but as I've never read the inside of any of those beauties I have no clue. The struggle after my collection as to what to move into........

ARRRRGHHH

Either one will be a nice chunk of change but those timely books will be harder to find so I might sway that direction.........

Could you live with only purchasing a handful of Timely's? You could purchase a hell of a lot of nice Ditko Spideys for the same money. 2c

ARRRRGHHH

Could you live with only purchasing a handful of Timely's? You could purchase a hell of a lot of nice Ditko Spideys for the same money. 2c

and a good 2cents it is.

I just am in a bind. I am for sure getting the #1 spot in my set type for ASM201-300 within the next year even though I'm currently in 6th, you can watch my set grow from the bottom up bi-weekly so I'm not too worried about my current collection.

However I do love ASM1-25 gathering most of spidey's villain's 1st apps and such but would need them in 9.0 / 9.2 grade. Nothing less.

Now on the other hand I've been watching comic link and metro bust out some crazy human torch and Marvel mystery comics that have got my attention like no other in the past 2/3 years while I collected my set of ASM's.

I guess the next year of info gathered will make up my mind for me.

My opinion would be that I'd rather have Human Torch 18 - CGC 9.2 for 3500 which is one of one in the census at the top for that book than say a

9.4 ASM 11 which may run around the same price for the book in which case there are 11 9.4's and 4 higher at 9.6.

My pricing may be way off but from what I've seen..... they sway alot on either front.

I'm all about rarity as you can see even looking at my copper spider-man collection. 7 of the books and soon to be 8 of them are 9.9's. The rest are 9.8's with maybe 2/3 in the next few months falling into 9.6's.

The rarity weighs huge in my decisions.

Richard

ARRRRGHHH

and a good 2cents it is.

I just am in a bind. I am for sure getting the #1 spot in my set type for ASM201-300 within the next year even though I'm currently in 6th, you can watch my set grow from the bottom up bi-weekly so I'm not too worried about my current collection.

However I do love ASM1-25 gathering most of spidey's villain's 1st apps and such but would need them in 9.0 / 9.2 grade. Nothing less.

Now on the other hand I've been watching comic link and metro bust out some crazy human torch and Marvel mystery comics that have got my attention like no other in the past 2/3 years while I collected my set of ASM's.

I guess the next year of info gathered will make up my mind for me.

My opinion would be that I'd rather have Human Torch 18 - CGC 9.2 for 3500 which is one of one in the census at the top for that book than say a

9.4 ASM 11 which may run around the same price for the book in which case there are 11 9.4's and 4 higher at 9.6.

My pricing may be way off but from what I've seen..... they sway alot on either front.

I'm all about rarity as you can see even looking at my copper spider-man collection. 7 of the books and soon to be 8 of them are 9.9's. The rest are 9.8's with maybe 2/3 in the next few months falling into 9.6's.

The rarity weighs huge in my decisions.

Richard

(shrug) I guess its a question of your grade requirements. My SA ASMS are mostly in the VG to F range. For Timely's, I'd be happy with G to G/VG or even restored copies. Good Luck with your decision!

As they say in other places, 'diversify your portfolio!" Get some Spideys and a few Timelys. Whichever comes along that is most comfortable grade/price wise. Then you have trade bait (that will appreciate either way) if you decide down the road that one appeals more than the other or you need the funds to finish a run.

I will say this...once you get a nice Timely book in your hands I promise you will not want to ever let go of it!

As they say in other places, 'diversify your portfolio!" Get some Spideys and a few Timelys. Whichever comes along that is most comfortable grade/price wise. Then you have trade bait (that will appreciate either way) if you decide down the road that one appeals more than the other or you need the funds to finish a run.

I will say this...once you get a nice Timely book in your hands I promise you will not want to ever let go of it!

(thumbs u Well said Mr. Evans!

(thumbs u Well said Mr. Evans!

I think that's good advice as it really is hard to know until you hold it in your hands -- whether that be a Spidey or a Timely. There are books that I purchased that I later realized weren't as important to me. That didn't mean I made a mistake in buying them just that I can't keep everything and I was able to better understand what gave me more enjoyment. And sometimes it's just fun to know that you once owned something.

No offense, but a 9.9 Copper Spidey isn't rare, its a winning lottery ticket: the more you play, the more you spend, the better your chances of winning.

Now, a 9.4 Timely....THAT's rare.

But I digress.....welcome to the addiction that is Timely collecting. (thumbs u

Good to see that your moving over to the dark side, it won't be long until you sell off those Spidey's to help fund some of these GA treasures. Not sure why this approach was used for so many years and by different artists but I wonder who started it first (Shomburg?). Everett classic of course but his first Sub-Mariner Cover from this run (which was actually Timely's last), how the heck does that happen? (shrug)

SMC31CGC8.jpg[/img]

I've often wondered why Everett wasn't used more by Timely as he had done nice covers for other companies before and during his Timely career. Certainly when it came to the 50s he was probably only second to Maneely in the number of covers that he drew for Atlas.

Subby 32, btw, is a good example of fun interior art as it is a book-length story by Everett relating the birth and origin of Sub-mariner.

I haven't read any golden age books which I will change in the next year or so once my ASM201-300 set is complete but is the Submariner bigger in the actual comics or is it just the dramatic effect the artists were going for when they drew the covers to some of the golden age books??

I have seen a few with Subby tipping over an aircraft carrier and holding down a drawbridge on the covers.

Richard

here's what he's doing on all the covers.

sub.jpg

Richard

sub.jpg

Hey Billy,Is your wombat 1 or 3 piece slate??

Richard

sub.jpg

you've lost enough money there to know, haven't you?

Richard

sub.jpg

you've lost enough money there to know, haven't you?

lol lost on purpose cause I knew the loot was going toward DC's