• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me Cool Female Characters of the Golden Age!
1 1

437 posts in this topic

Jack,

I used to think that Miss America wore glasses when she was in costume. It makes sense to wear some eye protection when you are working. But the glasses seem to disappear in some other appearances.

bb

2205874201_5dacc3bcd7_b.jpg

2207149571_fc9a2a2eae_b.jpg

2207138535_90939a0206_b.jpg

Miss Victory was reprinted as a Holyoke one shot. She usually appeared in Capt. Aero. I kind of like Quinlan's style on this strip. It always reminds me of Robert Crumb. I think he did the gorilla spash too.

bb

Not hard to see the resemblance between the Miss Victory splash and Motor City Comics 1!

2205856379_0f1a164c74_b.jpg

f.apundMtrC20001--02.jpg

Jack

Sky,

Miss Fury spent a lot of time kicking people in the teeth and changing costumes. Glad you enjoyed them. I kind of liked the paper Tippy-Toys that Fawcett sold. Here is one with Billy the Kid reading a Capt. Marvel Comic.

bb

P.S. Go Blue

2207967896_2c804009f7_b.jpg

Jack,

I don't know if Robert read any of those old comics with Quinlan art but it looks like they had the same perspective. Thanks for the Motor City comics post. I would have to dig through my closet to find all of those old Crumb comics. Did Crumb actually live in Detroit? I thought he was Cleveland or CA (according to my R. Crumb Handbook).

bb

Sky,

Miss Fury spent a lot of time kicking people in the teeth and changing costumes. Glad you enjoyed them. I kind of liked the paper Tippy-Toys that Fawcett sold. Here is one with Billy the Kid reading a Capt. Marvel Comic.

bb

P.S. Go Blue

[

I have a few issues with Ms Fury, BB, but never noticed Paper Dolls, they were in the Millie books, Now I have to go check my Miss America book:) It's little touches like these that make the books even more charming:) thanks so much for sharing!

Jack,

I don't know if Robert read any of those old comics with Quinlan art but it looks like they had the same perspective. Thanks for the Motor City comics post. I would have to dig through my closet to find all of those old Crumb comics. Did Crumb actually live in Detroit? I thought he was Cleveland or CA (according to my R. Crumb Handbook).

bb

Quinlan does look like a possible Crumb influence.

I don't think that Crumb ever lived in Detroit.

*google*

Crumb grew up around military bases in Philadelphia and Oceanside, California, and later in Milford, Delaware. In the early 1960s Crumb moved to Cleveland, Ohio...

[Once while driving around Cleveland, some friends and I sought out American Greetings, where he worked. I may still have one of his greeting cards kicking around somewhere.]

Then San Francisco, rural California, and Sauve, France. Anyone know why he published two issues of Motor City Comics? I think I have #1 but not nearby.

Jack

Sky,

I think the pin-ups are from Miss Fury 4. They are with the centerfold I think and easy to lose. Only the first Ms America has pin-ups I think. But I would have to check again too.

bb

Paper dolls (which are different from pin-ups) have those tab thingys....You could cut out the doll, and the clothing and put the tabs down to hold the clothing on the dolls. There is actually a whole group of people on Ebay who are nuts about Paper Dolls. I was SHOCKED, lol... I've sold some Katy Keenes (I had lots of multiples once) and the paper doll collectors are really fanatics:) (some are men, too) ...lots of those dolls were cut out, not necessarily lost but more were in the centerfold so you could RIP them out:) or cut them out and play with the dolls. Archie used to have design your own clothing contests, you needed the dolls...I was not around when the Miss Fury was published, but I had some of the Katy's (or somebody, I don't really remember, I was very young) that an aunt gave me, we really did damage to those comics:) :blush:

Edited by skypinkblu

Point 5,

The Shocker story is from Miss America 2. The splash below is from Miss America 3. Only one Miss America story per issue. And one Patsy Walker. I added another Schomburg cover just cause I like Schomburg. Ms America scans were all found on line. The Thrilling, Exciting and Miss Fury scans were mine.

bb

2207138659_8f1fac5a07_b.jpg

2208073310_4727c38360_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Sky,

I think the pin-ups are from Miss Fury 4. They are with the centerfold I think and easy to lose. Only the first Ms America has pin-ups I think. But I would have to check again too.

bb

Paper dolls (which are different from pin-ups) have those tab thingys....You could cut out the doll, and the clothing and put the tabs down to hold the clothing on the dolls. There is actually a whole group of people on Ebay who are nuts about Paper Dolls. I was SHOCKED, lol... I've sold some Katy Keenes (I had lots of multiples once) and the paper doll collectors are really fanatics:) (some are men, too) ...lots of those dolls were cut out, not necessarily lost but more were in the centerfold so you could RIP them out:) or cut them out and play with the dolls. Archie used to have design your own clothing contests, you needed the dolls...I was not around when the Miss Fury was published, but I had some of the Katy's (or somebody, I don't really remember, I was very young) that an aunt gave me, we really did damage to those comics:) :blush:

Thank goodness for modern technology Sharon. My daughter used to like paper dolls too, so I would color copy the pages from Katy Keene and print them out. Then she could cut away to her heart's content.

Sky,

bb

Thank goodness for modern technology Sharon. My daughter used to like paper dolls too, so I would color copy the pages from Katy Keene and print them out. Then she could cut away to her heart's content.

That is exactly what I did with my daughter, Bill (thumbs u I vaguely remember tracing stuff, but since my mom (like most Mom's) tossed all my comics...it didn't really matter...;) I was not happy...I remember it very well:)

This is a great thread, I'll find some more books to add next week:) thanks again BB:)

Here's a :bump: for this thread. Any new "cool female" books to report, folks?

I just won a coverless Air Fighters v1 #6 for the Black Angel story. Scrooge posted the incredible splash page to the story in this thread...can't remember if he posted the whole story, but if not, I'll post it when the book rolls in. The art on that story is amazing. Can't wait to read it! :)

:shy: IRRC, I only posted the splash and another story page. Don't hurt your purchase when it comes though, here's the 8-page story (thumbs u

51357-BA1.jpg.587cb84e73ff211f75f3d4e7cddaab69.jpg

51358-BA2.jpg.aaa8926ea754be9c32cbb04352011997.jpg

51359-BA3.jpg.013b8701c7c2b4d86ad47440c5c9a310.jpg

51360-BA4.jpg.f1d50f9e995c3b331998f853ad91c11c.jpg

51361-BA5.jpg.89ebdd35808cd058f7b7082ee7262d00.jpg

51362-BA6.jpg.e3edf90bf50c70468231cce3b68d23f8.jpg

51363-BA7.jpg.1b19f112adbde209ce7cb97ee5cfd001.jpg

51364-BA8.jpg.c46c0a0f95ae8e628dc15075a30a224f.jpg

Here's a :bump: for this thread. Any new "cool female" books to report, folks?

I just won a coverless Air Fighters v1 #6 for the Black Angel story. Scrooge posted the incredible splash page to the story in this thread...can't remember if he posted the whole story, but if not, I'll post it when the book rolls in. The art on that story is amazing. Can't wait to read it! :)

:shy: IRRC, I only posted the splash and another story page. Don't hurt your purchase when it comes though, here's the 8-page story (thumbs u

Wow. Giant bats, lingerie panels, an action shot of an "athletic build", and even Ratzis pulling a boner -- all in one story!

John Cassone? Not a familar name. He created The Web (I thought that was Al Gore :grin:) and drew some later Blackhawk, from a quick google search.

Jack

51357-BA1.jpg