• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FedEx has "Lost" my Books. Good Wishes are Needed

101 posts in this topic

As an eBay seller, my only real disapointment with buyers is that they often complain that my shipping charges are too high....this is very frustrating, as I send all comics Priority Mail with full value mandatory insurance and delivery confirmation, and shipping charges are not profitable for me...they are actually often a loss.

A $5,000 book costs me about $58 to ship, and I charge $29.50 to the buyer and eat the rest. So, this means that a $5,000 comic ( think of what that can buy) is costing my buyer just $29.50 to be GUARANTEED that if the item is lost or damaged, I can file a claim with the USPS which allows me to issue them a full refund. ( I don't always have an extra $5k laying around, and certainly wouldn't risk losing that much by not making insurance mandatory, just to minimize shipping costs for the buyer ).

Being a seller is ALL ABOUT putting the book in the buyers hand if you do business by mail like me. I will continue to have some of the more aggressive and safest shipping charges/methods as an eBay seller, and my buyers will continue to always get their books, and often complain in the process......shipping charges are part of the cost of buying........if you can get a $2,500+ book shipped to you for $7.....you are taking a HUGE risk. You are much better off paying $25, and having extra protections. One of the things I look for when buying on eBay is low shipping charges....I look at in a bad way, not a good way....this is a huge red flag, and tell ms that the seller is not really concerned with me receiveing my comic. Give me a great book with high shipping charges due to insurance, and I am more inclined to pull the trigger, as I won't worry that much if something bad happens.

The average postal worker was most likely unemployable in the private sector.....do you want to blindly trust the handling of your Marvel Mystery #9 with them?........I sure don't!

Steve

Are you sure its insured for 5k? My understanding is the USPS maxes out insurance at $1500 or $2000.

Ed

USPS max is higher than $2k.

However, apparently if you read the fine print of the FedEx insurance rates, they have a cap on "collectibles".

Are you sure its insured for 5k? My understanding is the USPS maxes out insurance at $1500 or $2000.

Ed

USPS Priority Mail and Registered mail have a max. inusrance of $5k....this is a fact / not a guess ( repsectfully )

hello all...

USPS registered mail is insurable upto $25,000 of claim value ....you can ship and claim more than that, but the USPS will only pay a claim of upto $25,000 (this method can also go priority)...I suspect Steve meant $25K?

and Steve is correct...he and I have exchanged books in the five figure range before, and we both choose registered and insured, for both our protection...

rick

Yeah...I guess I am generalizing based on my experience so...to each his own... ;)

I think who is the best and who is the worst depends a lot on the driver who is assigned to your route. We have had the same UPS driver for years and he is fantastic. I even have his cell phone number so I can call him personally to pick up a package.

I am sure your books will turn up. :wishluck:

and Steve is correct...he and I have exchanged books in the five figure range before, and we both choose registered and insured, for both our protection...

rick

( that's also why he said we should use Trojan's when we were together at the Geppi Museum :gossip: )

rick

( that's also why he said we should use Trojan's when we were together at the Geppi Museum :gossip: )

protection is a good thing :kidaround:

As an eBay seller, my only real disapointment with buyers is that they often complain that my shipping charges are too high....this is very frustrating, as I send all comics Priority Mail with full value mandatory insurance and delivery confirmation, and shipping charges are not profitable for me...they are actually often a loss.

A $5,000 book costs me about $58 to ship, and I charge $29.50 to the buyer and eat the rest. So, this means that a $5,000 comic ( think of what that can buy) is costing my buyer just $29.50 to be GUARANTEED that if the item is lost or damaged, I can file a claim with the USPS which allows me to issue them a full refund. ( I don't always have an extra $5k laying around, and certainly wouldn't risk losing that much by not making insurance mandatory, just to minimize shipping costs for the buyer ).

Being a seller is ALL ABOUT putting the book in the buyers hand if you do business by mail like me. I will continue to have some of the more aggressive and safest shipping charges/methods as an eBay seller, and my buyers will continue to always get their books, and often complain in the process......shipping charges are part of the cost of buying........if you can get a $2,500+ book shipped to you for $7.....you are taking a HUGE risk. You are much better off paying $25, and having extra protections. One of the things I look for when buying on eBay is low shipping charges....I look at in a bad way, not a good way....this is a huge red flag, and tell ms that the seller is not really concerned with me receiveing my comic. Give me a great book with high shipping charges due to insurance, and I am more inclined to pull the trigger, as I won't worry that much if something bad happens.

The average postal worker was most likely unemployable in the private sector.....do you want to blindly trust the handling of your Marvel Mystery #9 with them?........I sure don't!

Steve

Most postal workers I know are good people. Most of the ones I know are veterans, quite a few are wounded combat veterans and hard workers, so as much as I sympathise with your shipping predicament, I don't appreciate the blanket statement on Postal workers. It seems arrogant and and a form of class elitism.

I just found out from Matt Nelson that two of my books have been "lost" by FedEx on their way to CGC. They are sure that they can find it, but they aren't sure where it is :pullhair: The books in question are my Captain Marvel Adventures #18 and my Wow #57 Mile High. Matt is supposed to get back to me tomorrow as to what FedEx has found. Until then I'm sitting here on pins and needles. I've never had a package lost in the mail before and for the first one to be this valuable is upsetting. The package is insured so I won't lose out on the money, but the Mile High is irreplaceable.

Hopefully I'll get a good word tomorrow :wishluck: and hopefully it comes earlier in the day.

I hope you get your package tomorrow! :wishluck:

Steve

Most postal workers I know are good people. Most of the ones I know are veterans, quite a few are wounded combat veterans and hard workers, so as much as I sympathise with your shipping predicament, I don't appreciate the blanket statement on Postal workers. It seems arrogant and and a form of class elitism.

Hey Vince..... :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

It was an exageration to prove a point....not to be taken offensively or literally....my local post office has some of the nicest and most competent people I know :makepoint:

so, here.......... :foryou:

Steve

It was an exageration to prove a point....not to be taken offensively or literally....my local post office has some of the nicest and most competent people I know :makepoint:

Gotcha.... :foryou:

Steve

Hey Steve, how do you spell "back-pedaling"? :baiting:

Steve

:signfunny:

Steve

we gave each other :foryou:

All I care about is that Vince and I are once again :luhv:

Steve

we gave each other :foryou:

All I care about is that Vince and I are once again :luhv:

:sick: Uh oh, I'm feeling queezy. Please don't start tapping your foot, okay?

rick

Well, learn something new everyday........I didn't know you two were an item! :o

I hope this was in the privacy of the washrooms at the Geppi Museum instead of out in the gallery for public viewing. lol:baiting:

rick

(tsk) Come on condoms are for sailors!

Unless Steve was playing dress up again :blush:

You can buy additional coverage beyound the 500.00 insurance with regular shipping.Ive insured 5 figures a few times.It has to be a replaceible item they say at the desk.They also do there best to try not to sell it to you for abvious reasons,but they do have the insurance beyound 500.00. Collecting on a claim?

Well thats a problem with any insurance company.

Actually FedEx does NOT offer insurance - they go to great lengths in their shipping manual to point out that they do not offer insurance. They do charge a "declared value" fee, which is different and protects them if they decide not to pay your claim.

*UPDATE*

FedEx believes that they have found the box. For one reason or another they feel that they need to open the box and check the contents to make sure so the box is on it's way to Utah. Apparently they have a facility there that handles these situations. My biggest concern now is that Non-comic people are now going to be handling the comics. While the CMA is high mid grade and won't have it's grade affected too much, the Wow is in the 9.4-9.6 range and any mishandling can affect it greatly.

Once again it's a sit and wait situation. We're supposed to find out by tomorrow evening if it is the box in question. If it is then it will be forwarded on to CGC where we get to wait for CGC to do their thing and determine if the books were mishandled. CGC is aware of the situation so they'll be checking the books when they arrive to see if they may have been damaged in the inspection process.

Being patient sucks!