• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Honus Wagner 1909 baseball card sold for record $2.8 million

44 posts in this topic

Dunno, but that card has always been rumored to have been trimmed

It was cut from a sheet from what I remember reading

yep, it was cut from an uncut sheet...hence the high grade condition

rick

Is that a $450k profit before or after he pays the auction house their 15% cut?

Not to mention the damn "buyers premium" he had to pay when he bought it. Buyers premium - what a scam. The auction houses have convinced both buyers and sellers they need to pay tribute to the auction house.

When will a comic sell for $2.8 million and which one will it be?

Action 1- Dentist Copy
(thumbs u

But from what I've heard, the Dentist ain't selling. Dentist, Jr. is getting a nice inheritance.

Where did you guys find info on this card being cut? I'm not into sports cards much (I did collect them as a kid.) I saw nothing on the SGC forums, but it looks like they haven't been active forums for months.

All true...I read about how it was discovered and reportedly cut in this book:

9780061439117.jpg

Great book on big-time collecting, dealer influences and collector passions-- the inside account of the legendary Honus Wagner card.

GE

It's defniitely sheet cut and I've heard stories of it shrinking even more over the years. Apparently, they cut it with generous borders at first (at the expense of the cards next to it on the sheet) and over the years it was trimmed down to near perfection.

I'd much rather have an unrestored VG example that was actually in a pack of tobacco.