• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: The Office

52 posts in this topic

Hated the first season of the US show, because they were just redoing the scripts from the Brit version, and no one could do them better than the original. But it's growing on me.

The big difference between the two versions is that Carell's character is sometimes way over the top, and the situations are really cartoonish, yet they want you to buy into the concept that this is a quasi-documentary. He does such stupid stuff (like threatening to jump off the roof of the building) that none of the other characters would ever put up with him... and yet they do. It's totally ridiculous, which is fine and can be very funny in its own way, but it's a very different take on things than the British show. The only part of the US version that feels "real" is the relationship between Jim and Pam.

The British show is completely believable. Ricky Gervais is an absolute buffoon, but still very human, and you get glimpses of just how vulnerable he is. The scene where is gets fired is amazing.

Besides, no one, NO ONE, can dance like Gervais.

Yeah, both seasons have been on HBO, I believe.

I loved the Bowie episode. "Funny little fat man..."

I heard rumours that there will be a 2-part Christmas episode this year to wrap things up, just like The Office. Do you know if it's true?

Yeah, both seasons have been on HBO, I believe.

I loved the Bowie episode. "Funny little fat man..."

I heard rumours that there will be a 2-part Christmas episode this year to wrap things up, just like The Office. Do you know if it's true?

lol

I haven't heard, but I hope so - I think Ricky G loves the traditional "British Christmas Specials" so I think you can place a bet that he will.

The Office one wrapped things up nicely (thumbs u

wow. Such love for the british version.

I am glad that it came out over there. (we would not have the american version otherwise)

I am also glad that American's made it funny.

No offense to anyone, but i have watched the 1st four british episodes and i cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would consider this version better than the American one.

Then again, i never liked any Monty Python stuff and i am in the minority on that one as well i fear.

Different strokes i guess.

wow. Such love for the british version.

I am glad that it came out over there. (we would not have the american version otherwise)

I am also glad that American's made it funny.

No offense to anyone, but i have watched the 1st four british episodes and i cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would consider this version better than the American one.

Then again, i never liked any Monty Python stuff and i am in the minority on that one as well i fear.

Different strokes i guess.

There's no accounting for taste old boy :baiting:

And if you US folks liked the movies Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, you should try and check out a series from a few years ago called "Spaced". The same two guys that did those movies also created this series.

Simon Pegg (the lead actor in Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead) plays a guy who... are you ready for it ...[font:Arial Black] works in a comics store. [/font] Although that plot point is fairly incidental. (See... all threads lead back to comics.)

Check youtube and do a search for "Spaced Pegg". There are lots of clips posted. Nick Frost (his slacker buddy in Shaun, and his cop friend in Hot Fuzz) is nearly unrecognizable in a moustache, tinted sun glasses and army fatigues.

Here's one clip:

Some people have posted whole episodes on youtube. Here's the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHc0VDdhXVQ