• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LONE WOLF AND CUB

18 posts in this topic

Those who have looked for original manga art know how tough it is to find. Those who haven't...well, you'll just have to take my word for it! My favorite manga is the classic LONE WOLF AND CUB. Hugely influential on comics creators the world over, including Frank Miller. Definitely one of the crowning achievements in comics.

Here is a beautiful watercolor piece by LW&C co-creator/artist, Goseki Kojima:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=303265&GSub=41686

I have a couple of extra Kojima pieces available, so please write me privately if you're interested. Thanks!

Felix

Felix

Congrats on a great piece (as well as becoming a new CFA APA member)

S

Thanks Steve! And congrats to you, too. I'm a sucker for anything DARK KNIGHT, so your article was the one I read first. A bittersweet tale that will (hopefully) have a happy ending someday soon.:thumbsup:

Sweet piece! I think you showed me one of the others but that is just awesome.

Felix - enjoyed your manga article...lots of fun. PM me about Kojima stuff!

Michael...PM sent!

Everyone else...thanks for the nice words! This really was the culmination of a long quest and, in the end, it literally fell in my lap.

I'll write more later...

That's an absolutely gorgeous piece!

I read the entire series a couple years and was amazed at the quality of the art and story-telling. Comics don't get any better. 2c

I read the entire series a couple years and was amazed at the quality of the art and story-telling. Comics don't get any better. 2c

If you liked LW&C, then I would recommend the spin-off series, SAMURAI EXECUTIONER. Also written by Kazuo Koike and drawn by Goseki Kojima. It exists in the same "universe" as LW&C, although LW&C do not make an appearance in this series.

I have not been able to get as much into their other samurai drama effort, PATH OF THE ASSASSIN. Too much palace intrigue and not enough action for my taste.

Just my two cents, enjoy!

Great LW&C piece, Felix! Is that the one Mitch I. had in San Diego 2-3 years ago or is it a different one? I recall that it looked similar at least...

As for Samurai Executioner, I picked up the first TPB but that was about all I could stomach - I'm no prude, but I found the violence to be over the top, especially the graphic scenes involving women and even children. Buyer beware...

If you liked LW&C, then I would recommend the spin-off series, SAMURAI EXECUTIONER. Also written by Kazuo Koike and drawn by Goseki Kojima. It exists in the same "universe" as LW&C, although LW&C do not make an appearance in this series.

I have not been able to get as much into their other samurai drama effort, PATH OF THE ASSASSIN. Too much palace intrigue and not enough action for my taste.

Wow, I had no idea there were other kojima/koike collaborations. Mind you, I haven't set foot in a LCS for, oh, probably three years. Are these recent TPBs then?

Wow, I had no idea there were other kojima/koike collaborations. Mind you, I haven't set foot in a LCS for, oh, probably three years. Are these recent TPBs then?

Yes, they are fairly recent, they are in th same format as the LW&C re-issue by Dark horse, tiny but thick volumes. The entire LW&C was 15 volumes (I think the first comics version is only 1/2 of the dark horse ones before it stopped) SAMURAI EXECUTIONER I think only had 10 (I have them all) and I stopped Path of the Assasin.. never got into the story.

Malvin

OK - thanks. Much appreciated.

FYI I believe LW&C was 28 or so volumes though, I bought all of those. Yeah, the first comics version would have been less than half of the series, not to mention published out of order.

I saw that it was coming out but I often wait until the series is complete before buying it. Since it sounds like it is I'll look for it. Thanks

Great LW&C piece, Felix! Is that the one Mitch I. had in San Diego 2-3 years ago or is it a different one? I recall that it looked similar at least...

As for Samurai Executioner, I picked up the first TPB but that was about all I could stomach - I'm no prude, but I found the violence to be over the top, especially the graphic scenes involving women and even children. Buyer beware...

I do appreciate your remarks and will take a look at the book before purchasing. LW&C has more than a few moments of not just excessive gore, but, to a non-Japanese, morally dicey activity that in many ways is harder to get around than the violence. I've been enjoying quite a bit of Japanese cinema and comics over the last decade precisely because they have a strong story-telling tradition but from a completely different viewpoint.

Thanks Gene! This is not the same one that Mitch had, although your memory serves you well, the basic pose is the same. Kojima used this pose (Lone Wolf holding Cub) often...they're all variations on a theme.

Dude, it's the Japanese:insane:..this stuff is tame compared to their "adult" titles. I've seen some truly crazy stuff over there. Totally different culture, to say the least.