• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chistopher Priest and Marvel - something BIG?

12 posts in this topic

If you want to read about Priest's horrible summer, read the whole thing..

If not, just check out the last 3 paragraphs.....

Any guesses what project he will be on?

I'm thinking Iron Man.

Impossible Man

Only a few more days until summer is officially over. And then, perhaps, this Priest Summer of Hell will likewise be brought to a swift conclusion. Which, my luck, means the Priest Autumn of Hell will surely begin. I suppose I've had worst summers, but, honestly, I'd have to really sit down and think hard to remember when. Well, in 1995 I lost my grandmother and my best friend within weeks of each other, so, okay, I suppose that was worse. But these last 12 weeks or so have been pure hell. Now I finally understand what it means to be the cockroach under the shoe.

By now you know CREW was cancelled. That just kind of got the dominoes falling, both emotionally and financially, as I was kind of stunned that this book, in which Editor Tom Brevoort and Artist Joe Bennett and I had all become so emotionally invested, was getting the ax mere weeks after the first issue hit the stand. Being Priest, I have, of course, had books yanked from under me before but this one had so much energy and Joe and I were just clicking and the characters were coming alive and so many good ideas were being tossed about the office, that, well, speaking for myself, I took it pretty hard. And, being in the public eye (well, of sorts), it became impossible for me to discuss CREW in any forum and pretend this thing is a going concern and be a cheerleader for the company while all manner of hell was breaking loose in my life. And I can't really blame the company, they've got to make the right choices for them. But for pity's sake, this book rocked and would have REALLY rocked had they only given us a chance. At the end of the day, and with all due affection to my good friends up there in Manhattan, we weren't given a chance. Which made me wonder why the blazes we went to the effort to put the book out in the first place.

At the end of the day, my problems are my problems. I am the author and curator of my own major catastrophe. I am not in any way blaming anybody for the crush of falling dominoes, but my vulnerability-- emotionally, creatively and financially-- to these dominoes was something I hadn't taken seriously, but I do now. So if there's a silver lining from all of this it's kind of Don't Count On It..

THE CREW was the most energized creative situation I'd been in in a long time. Joe Bennett was an absolute joy to work with, and Tom Brevoort is the Dream Date of comic book editors. I've been away all summer mainly because I was terribly bitter about the decision and didn't wanna go all Peter David on you (hi Peter!). But I did spend time evaluating my 25 years in the business (June 8th) and, figuring, 25 years is more than enough.

I've been impossible to reach. I spent all summer irritating friends and not answering the phone. I've got twelve weeks of messages to return, and lots of people ticked off at me. I got a lot of job offers, but all I've really done is design work for The El Pomar Foundation, a philanthropic do-gooder hivemind here in Colorado, and designed a new web site for Emmanuel, the largest African American church in Colorado Springs. Beyond that, I've rewritten the tail end of the first CREW arc and, well, lived in tenor.

It's kind of this mid-life crisis occurring in a compressed space of time. some guy holds a gun, "Change Your Career--NOW!" It's very weird.

Anyway, I figured that was it for comics until Tom called and said two words nobody in comics has ever said to me. I was all prepared with the nice, "Look, Tom, thanks, but, really, I don't think I can do the new Rhino miniseries," when Tom said two words that left me, literally, speechless. Some guy holds a gun, "Decide-- you in comics or out-- NOW!"

For the time being, I'm in. I don't know if Marvel's made any announcements, so I'll leave that to them. In the meantime, the sucking chest wound of the CREW cancellation has dulled to a throb, low enough for me to at least sit up straight.

To everybody I've kept waiting-- I'm sorry. It's been a terrible, terrible summer for me. But things are looking up...

OK, OK... ULTIMATE MARVILLE!!! 27_laughing.gif

Doesn't Priest only do "special interest" books? More likely LUKE CAGE or POWER MAN were the 2 words?

You mean black stuff?

No - as Jim Owsley - he did Spiderman and Conan.

He's also worked on Wonder Woman, Solar, Xero, Deadpool.

He does also work on "special interest" books as well(notably Powerman/Ironfist, Black Panther, Steel)...But what black artist or writer hasn't?

I'm a big Iron Man nut, but stopped buying the title at #400... if Priest does get this title then I'll be all over it like Chrisco with a bottle of cheap bourbon...

Priest has the right technical and political savvy to make this book great again....

Fantastic Four.

Think about it.

The [!@#%^&^]-storm that came after the no-name replacing Waid, the scramble to get Waid that failed... the need for a good writer on the book with the movie in the works.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Man, I hope it's Iron Man.

In Enemy of the State 2, his version of Iron Man was several times better than what was, and is, currently being produced in that title. Iron Man hasn't really been good for a long period of time and I hope priest gets on this title.