• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Spectacular Spider-Man (1968)

22 posts in this topic

The Green Goblin story in issue #2 is great! ...every bit as good as ASM #39-40, and the oversized format really gives JR SR's art room to breathe. It's an issue well worth having. Haven't read #1, so someone else should weigh in on that one.

:whistle:

The Green Goblin story in issue #2 is great! ...every bit as good as ASM #39-40, and the oversized format really gives JR SR's art room to breathe. It's an issue well worth having. Haven't read #1, so someone else should weigh in on that one.

:whistle:

Totally agree!! No.2 is by far the better issue, and in full color too!!! :headbang:

No.1 is bland by comparision. B&W art, and the story is not as good as issue #2. :P

No.1 is O.K. if you want to complete the 2 issue set, But #2 however is a must have for any Spidey Collection. It's the long-awaited return of the Green Goblin after Spidey #39 & 40 when he got amnesia. This book came out in Nov. 1968 which is about the same time as ASM #66.

So the storyline on this issue is between ASM #39-40 and ASM #95-98 his next app. in Amazing.; :grin:

mag #1 is not needed as it was reprinted in issues ASM 116-118. The only change there is that Capt Stacy is substituted with Joe Robertson and its in color which the mag #1 is not. Mag 2 is ubber sweet, really one of the best. I believe Annual 9 (10?) reprints it.

Ed

mag #1 is not needed as it was reprinted in issues ASM 116-118. The only change there is that Capt Stacy is substituted with Joe Robertson and its in color which the mag #1 is not. Mag 2 is ubber sweet, really one of the best. I believe Annual 9 (10?) reprints it.

Ed

Yes, Spiderman Annual #9 does reprint it, but it's an edited version. (tsk)

Spec. Spiderman #2 is MUCH BETTER!!!!! :headbang:

Yes, SSM #2 is much better than #1. Issue #2 is intertwined with ASM #66, as on pages #5 and #12, we see reference of events in SSM #2. And even as far back as ASM #63, we see the stage being set in a couple of panels of Norman thinking about the Goblin.

So overall, SSM #2 was definitely planned to be part of the ASM continuity. And it worked very well.

I bought both of mine off the rack when they came out. I loved them. I think I loved the first one even more BECAUSE it was in black and white so it was unique for a Marvel superhero comic. I remember that Larry Lieber's name was hidden as the artist until the back page. This meant nothing to me at the time. I didn't realize that he was Stan's brother or that people assumed that he didn't know which end of the pen was up based on his stories in the monster books of the early sixties. I think he did a pretty good job.

Comic bags were unavailable for comics of this size, at the time. I had just purchased a "banana seat" for my bicycle and still had the bag. I used it to store the comic. Nonetheless, after all the readings it's probably no better than a VG or a fine.

Just out of curosity, in the 2nd issue, does it show a "coming next issue" picture. The reason I ask is because in another thread I started about MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #14 Spider-Man story. Someone mentioned that the story in MSH #14 was originally set for issue #3 of Spectacular Spider-Man. Does anyone know if this might be true? That would be important info if it is.

Just out of curosity, in the 2nd issue, does it show a "coming next issue" picture. The reason I ask is because in another thread I started about MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #14 Spider-Man story. Someone mentioned that the story in MSH #14 was originally set for issue #3 of Spectacular Spider-Man. Does anyone know if this might be true? That would be important info if it is.

I'm pretty sure the "next issue" picture was for "The Television Terror" and not the story that appeared in MSH #14. I think Spec. Spider-Man #2 was on the stands after MSH #14 as well. I wonder if any other artwork was done for "Television Terror" and if it's out there anywhere.

mag #1 is not needed as it was reprinted in issues ASM 116-118. The only change there is that Capt Stacy is substituted with Joe Robertson and its in color which the mag #1 is not.

I think there are quite a few more changes than that. Such as the invention of the whole Disruptor character and his dual-identity *mystery* with Raleigh.