• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's Next On Your Signature Wishlist?

101 posts in this topic

I've met Ditko a few times and I asked him to sign, but he refused my request.

He basically told me that if he signed for me he would have to sign for everybody.

I also introduced him to greggy. :grin:

Yeah, he was so excited to see us both. :sick:

Hey, at least he shook your hand. :whistle: He could've bitcch slapped you. (shrug)

If he did, I would have bum rushed his office and taken some of his personal belongings.

It actually stinks in there. So I doubt very much you would want any of his personal belongings. 2c

His wallet. His signed items. His hidden hoard of Dr. Strange original art.

I am not sure the man has much cash...as far as his hoard of OA. hm

He basically told me that if he signed for me he would have to sign for everybody.

Hey, at least he shook your hand. :whistle: He could've bitcch slapped you. (shrug)

If he did, I would have bum rushed his office and taken some of his personal belongings.

It actually stinks in there. So I doubt very much you would want any of his personal belongings. 2c

I tell you....there's a hidden safe. Let's take his name plaque from his door.

(tsk)

(tsk)

Sell it on eBay

(tsk)

Sell it on eBay

hm

Why does Ditko never want to sign anything?

He swore to only use his powers for good. :grin:

Cause he hates collectors like us.

Or he hates comic flippers

Not really. I understand he did a convention around 1970 and that it left him with a pretty bad taste in his mouth. I think it also has to do with the philosophy of Objectivism, I understand that Mr. Ditko is a follower. I've started reading on Objectivism recently, and on the surface I don't understand why he wouldn't do scketches or commissions other than it simply doesn't make him happy to do so. Objectivism seems to be about keeping oneself happy and looking after your own needs, I'd think piles of cash from a few Spidey commissions would make a person pretty happy, but his definition is different I guess.

Not really. I understand he did a convention around 1970 and that it left him with a pretty bad taste in his mouth. I think it also has to do with the philosophy of Objectivism, I understand that Mr. Ditko is a follower. I've started reading on Objectivism recently, and on the surface I don't understand why he wouldn't do scketches or commissions other than it simply doesn't make him happy to do so. Objectivism seems to be about keeping oneself happy and looking after your own needs, I'd think piles of cash from a few Spidey commissions would make a person pretty happy, but his definition is different I guess.

I think Objectivism also entails a certain amount of simplification or essentialism; get down to the basics of what one needs and removong one's self from a lot of the material trappings/distractions. A little Eastern in philosophy if my memory serves me (which it doesn't always).

And no, I don't think he would sign it Cap, even if you asked nicely.

Greggy & Mr. Highgrade, mind filling us in on your conversation with him? Bet that was pretty cool (aside from the odorous apt.). :)

I think Objectivism also entails a certain amount of simplification or essentialism; get down to the basics of what one needs and removong one's self from a lot of the material trappings/distractions. A little Eastern in philosophy if my memory serves me (which it doesn't always).

Greggy & Mr. Highgrade, mind filling us in on your conversation with him? Bet that was pretty cool (aside from the odorous apt.). :)

No, it was hot and humid day and my luggage didn't come with me on the plane. The conversation pretty well went like this....

Ditko opens the door and sees Mr Highgrade and has a disgusted look and says, "Oh, not you again"

Mr Highgrade introduces me to him and Ditko shakes my hand.

Mr Highgrade asks Ditko if he has time to chat and he says no and that he's busy and then closes the door.

End of conversation.

The Objectivism Philosophy was created by Ayn Rand. I am also a believer in this philosophy, but it doesn't prevent me with interacting with people. Although it does breed a little haughtiness...bow you peons!
Only bowing when I'm on my knees? :whistle::P

No, it was hot and humid day and my luggage didn't come with me on the plane. The conversation pretty well went like this....

Ditko opens the door and sees Mr Highgrade and has a disgusted look and says, "Oh, not you again"

Mr Highgrade introduces me to him and Ditko shakes my hand.

Mr Highgrade asks Ditko if he has time to chat and he says no and that he's busy and then closes the door.

End of conversation.

Priceless! :applause:

The Objectivism Philosophy was created by Ayn Rand. I am also a believer in this philosophy, but it doesn't prevent me with interacting with people. Although it does breed a little haughtiness...bow you peons!
Only bowing when I'm on my knees? :whistle::P

I just threw up a little

Wow Greggy... that's kinda anticlimactic. I'm sure you must've been a little disappointed. Still, at least you can say you've met him. Closest I've come is a box full of musty old low-grades bearing copies of his work ;)

Only book I read by Ayn Rand was "Anthem" which played nicely against Huxley's "Brave New World." I think I recall enjoying it, but it was about 10 years ago that I read so.... :)