• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper no more..............

Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?

317 posts in this topic

Anyone else find this a little disturbing?

No more than anything else that goes on around here. (shrug)

I'd imagine the old SA greybeards are just glad to have an arthritis-free collector with a full head of hair entering the fold.

What is your obsession with grey beards these days? You've used that two dozen times in the last few days. Been looking in the mirror too often :baiting:

Should have just bought the nicest AF 15 you could find......and take a break from comics for a while. :)

I once told Danny via PM to stop wasting his time, money and (most importantly) his youth on this Board and on Copper Age X-Men and instead to go spend copious amounts of time in Amsterdam. You're only young once and the chat boards and comics will always be there in the future (and quite possibly at lower prices). I think this latest turn of events is an appalling turn for the worse. :baiting: Danny, I think you should have quit while you were ahead with the #144-300 run and the nice plaque from CGC! :tonofbricks:

By the way, #144-300 actually has a lot of great stories in there, but the thought of dropping major $$$ on anything but the Adams issues in the #30-66 run is just retarded, kid. :makepoint:

If I was single, I would go to Amsterdam. My GF would never let me go :sorry:

I know what I think but I will like to hear other opinions as well. Was it a good move.. was it dumb.. :popcorn:

I think you've got bigger fish to fry young man, the Mets just dropped their 5 th straight game................. :o:insane:

:tonofbricks: They are playing like krap

Should have just bought the nicest AF 15 you could find......and take a break from comics for a while. :)

I once told Danny via PM to stop wasting his time, money and (most importantly) his youth on this Board and on Copper Age X-Men and instead to go spend copious amounts of time in Amsterdam. You're only young once and the chat boards and comics will always be there in the future (and quite possibly at lower prices). I think this latest turn of events is an appalling turn for the worse. :baiting: Danny, I think you should have quit while you were ahead with the #144-300 run and the nice plaque from CGC! :tonofbricks:

By the way, #144-300 actually has a lot of great stories in there, but the thought of dropping major $$$ on anything but the Adams issues in the #30-66 run is just retarded, kid. :makepoint:

When did you get married and where is JC with the picture of that ring through your nose? (shrug)

When did you get married and where is JC with the picture of that ring through your nose? (shrug)
I am not married, but I do live with her

Oh, so you are a kept man. :gossip:

Oh, so you are a kept man. :gossip:
:tonofbricks:

No more than anything else that goes on around here. (shrug)

I'd imagine the old SA greybeards are just glad to have an arthritis-free collector with a full head of hair entering the fold.

Danny is about to become every SA dealer's wet dream. doh!

sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than ask permission...

you only live once my man, if that is what is your mind (the trip)

she can always wait...

or you can find another one that will.

hm

sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than ask permission...

you only live once my man, if that is what is your mind (the trip)

she can always wait...

or you can find another one that will.

hm

True, but I have found that forgiveness costs more. :P

It's really scary to see so many guys who are over 30 with serious financial responsibilities encourage a much younger guy to pursue a goal that should be reserved for people who have acquired at least some semblance of financial security.

I don't know about disturbing, but "unrealistic" comes to mind.

Especially considering that I suspect many of the people that Danny will be competing against are people that are very deep pocketed and/or built up huge HG war chests long before CGC and have been collecting off of the CGC "profits" ever since. In effect, many of these people did not build their collections for CASH at top market value like Danny will have to do.

It's like the guys that bought Ditko/Kirby and Romita OA for $20 a page 25 years ago and sold for thousands and thousands. How could someone getting in the market today EVER compete with that kind of war chest?

It's really scary to see so many guys who are over 30 with serious financial responsibilities encourage a much younger guy to pursue a goal that should be reserved for people who have acquired at least some semblance of financial security.

I don't know about disturbing, but "unrealistic" comes to mind.

Especially considering that I suspect many of the people that Danny will be competing against are people that are very deep pocketed and/or built up huge HG war chests long before CGC and have been collecting off of the CGC "profits" ever since. In effect, many of these people did not build their collections for CASH at top market value like Danny will have to do.

It's like the guys that bought Ditko/Kirby and Romita OA for $20 a page 25 years ago and sold for thousands and thousands. How could someone getting in the market today EVER compete with that kind of war chest?

They will have to use $100 dollar bills as bullets.

If I had to start out collecting comics today with nothing, I don't think I'd even start.

If I had to start out collecting comics today with nothing, I don't think I'd even start.

If all one wanted was HG, I'd agree. Barriers to entry are too high.

If you were satisfied with midgrade BA, low/midgrade SA or CA, you could collect on a modest budget.

If all one wanted was HG, I'd agree. Barriers to entry are too high.

If you were satisfied with midgrade BA, low/midgrade SA or CA, you could collect on a modest budget.

...but you are saying this with the benefit of having been collecting when prices were much, much lower. so the disparity between those prices and what books are going for now becomes a rather formidable barrier to entry for you. in your theoretical example.

however, if you were getting into the hobby now, you have no experiential frame of reference to go by. it's like people nowadays who don't blink paying eleven bucks for a movie ticket. if they weren't around when they were 2 bucks - or cheaper - the price doesn't seem out of whack at all