• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper no more..............

Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?

317 posts in this topic

you're maturing

Yes you are, young Danny. I have but one question...

Did your voice crack when you were asking everyone's opinion?

We can nickname him, Peter Brady.

Yeah, but Peter Brady grew up and married that slutty model chick on VH1 though. If our boy can just be so lucky :wishluck:

:wishluck:

you're maturing

Yeah, but Peter Brady grew up and married that slutty model chick on VH1 though. If our boy can just be so lucky :wishluck:

Hey, she was a former America's Top Model contest too. :whistle:

I know what I think but I will like to hear other opinions as well. Was it a good move.. was it dumb.. :popcorn:

Well, since you're asking...

I'm going to quote myself from my original post in the "blows" thread;

Part of collecting ADD is people changing their collecting goals AROUND a particular grade instead of adjusting their grade expectations so they can actually acquire all of the books they want.

I think you're falling into this trap. Don't take it personally, a lot of us have done it. There's nothing wrong with wanting 9.6's and 9.8's, but from what I can tell about your situation you may end up getting frustrated competing with some BSD's and you may also get frustrated with focusing on such a small pool of books(36 issues). And your finances, while none of my business, may not be in line with your collecting goals, at least not at this time of your life.

Are 9.0-9.2's really that bad? You could start there to get your fix and you can use them to offset the amount of "new money" you put into the run down the road when you upgrade.

Just my 2c since you did ask.

you're maturing

Hey, she was a former American Idol contest too. :whistle:

America's Top Model, and she won it I believe

You can always put together another 9.8 run of Copper X-Men. You could wait a very long time before you find another 9.8 X-Men #35.

This is a very good point.

I think it was a good move. :headbang:

Now, you just have to learn to save money up for a big purchase. Snatching a $50-$100 CA X-Men 9.8 doesn't take a lot of financial planning and can be done on a whim, but you'll have to be frugal and focused to be ready to snatch a $1000-$2500 price tag when one pops up.

Good luck, I know you can do it Danny!

It's really scary to see so many guys who are over 30 with serious financial responsibilities encourage a much younger guy to pursue a goal that should be reserved for people who have acquired at least some semblance of financial security.

Anyone else find this a little disturbing?

If you were fine with the decision, that's all that matters.

For me, the "hunt" for the collection is part of the fun. Mix that in with the satisfaction of completing a run and I'm good to go. But that is me. I'm too sentimentally attached to my books and would almost certainly have seller's remorse no matter what I got for them.

You can always put together another 9.8 run of Copper X-Men. You could wait a very long time before you find another 9.8 X-Men #35.

Now, you just have to learn to save money up for a big purchase. Snatching a $50-$100 CA X-Men 9.8 doesn't take a lot of financial planning and can be done on a whim, but you'll have to be frugal and focused to be ready to snatch a $1000-$2500 price tag when one pops up.

It's really scary to see so many guys who are over 30 with serious financial responsibilities encourage a much younger guy to pursue a goal that should be reserved for people who have acquired at least some semblance of financial security.

Not really. I imagine most believe that Danny could just sell the books if the need arises. (shrug)

No more than anything else that goes on around here. (shrug)

I'd imagine the old SA greybeards are just glad to have an arthritis-free collector with a full head of hair entering the fold.

Danny: I just caught up with everything that has happened to your collection in the past few days. I think I know you pretty well, and I'm totally behind you on your decision and what you have decided to concentrate on.

First off Nik has a point, you can buy the entire raw run of #200-300 for what $100? $200 max? You've taken the proceeds and put them in jaw dropping books, even one of a kinds...good move. I personally believe that early X books have some of the nicest covers of the early marvel run. #1,4,5,6,7,9,12,14,27,28,29,32,33 etc are absoloutely classic covers in my books.

I applaud the decision, and hope you enjoy the journey. Once you accomplish something, it's time to start new goals or you become stagnant.

Jim

Not really. I imagine most believe that Danny could just sell the books if the need arises. (shrug)

Ok, just so I'm clear, most of the people around here are comfortable with the idea of someone investing a large percentage of their net worth in HG comics?

Interesting.....

:screwy:

you're maturing

She won it I believe

Thanks, Angelo. Fixed it. (thumbs u

you're maturing

She won it I believe

Thanks, Angelo. Fixed it. (thumbs u

My contribution to this thread lol

I know what I think but I will like to hear other opinions as well. Was it a good move.. was it dumb.. :popcorn:

Well, since you're asking...

I'm going to quote myself from my original post in the "blows" thread;

Part of collecting ADD is people changing their collecting goals AROUND a particular grade instead of adjusting their grade expectations so they can actually acquire all of the books they want.

I think you're falling into this trap. Don't take it personally, a lot of us have done it. There's nothing wrong with wanting 9.6's and 9.8's, but from what I can tell about your situation you may end up getting frustrated competing with some BSD's and you may also get frustrated with focusing on such a small pool of books(36 issues). And your finances, while none of my business, may not be in line with your collecting goals, at least not at this time of your life.

Are 9.0-9.2's really that bad? You could start there to get your fix and you can use them to offset the amount of "new money" you put into the run down the road when you upgrade.

Just my 2c since you did ask.

That was the same question I asked myself and my answer, no, ultimately gave birth this thread.

I have had to let many collections go over the years because of the lifestyle I have chosen. When I hang onto things, it always comes down to replaceability, and I do not mean condition. When I sold off my highgrade 70's horror, I kept a run in FVF range so at least I still have the books. That has kept me plenty happy. You can still enjoy the books you let go at a fraction of the price even if you decide to get them back as cgc 9.4's. I believe in following your whims as long as you are not committing financial suicide, which it seems you did not.

I spoke in depth with Danny on just this topic via PM. Simply put I told him not to put any of these purchases on his credit card, spend on only what he has the cash for and not spend above his means. Take it slow. Danny is a smart kid. I think he will be all right.