• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you buy new?

What are your New Comic buying habits?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. What are your New Comic buying habits?

42 posts in this topic

I buy too many new titles every month due to my disease "Completionist's Syndrome". You know you have it when you're buying a title yet not reading it, only glancing at it for 30 seconds.

If Spock hovered by me he'd be crying out about "the pain".

:signfunny:

that is a sound strategy especially since new stuff is worth generally about 10% of cover once it leaves the store. A lot of moderns you can pick up in full runs on the Bay for pennies on the dollar.

I think I'm down to the Goon when it comes out every 3-6 months and an occasional oddbal ltitle that looks interesting, like every 1-3 months. Had been buying Conan and Fables, but I found enough of them in the discount box later that I decided it wasn't necessary to do so. My LCS now has tons of overstock they're blowing out: "52", Civil War, 75% of the stuff put out in the last 6 months other than maybe ASM and Hulk, but I'm just not terribly interest in adding even more moderns to my already taking up way too much space collection, particularly because I'm broke. 18 months ago I would have been buying stacks of these books for a buck a pop, but the excitement has fizzled.

well, "broke" is a relative term. I doubt I'm actually any more broke than half the people here. I just don't feel comfortable spending $3 a pop on funny books or even amassing more of them through the dollar box when I have so many I haven't read already. I haven't started brown bagging or skipping lunch though (though I should, I just keep on forgetting!), it's not that bad yet, and we haven't shut off the cable!

Haven't bought a book from the stands since the "Great Disappointment" of 1992.

Sure, if a book is recommended I'll chase it up, but and in almost all cases keep it. Sometimes I have to pay a little more for some of these books that have now got "hot".

Even if the thing is currently white hot, I still wait and can usually get those issues very cheaply once the title cools off.

All in all, though, the fact that I am not buying something every month, that I am not reading or enjoying, means I come out ahead on the balance sheet.

that is a sound strategy especially since new stuff is worth generally about 10% of cover once it leaves the store. A lot of moderns you can pick up in full runs on the Bay for pennies on the dollar.

That's kind of what I was getting at, I suppose.

As much as I enjoy keeping up with what's current (and I actually do think that a lot of stuff on the stands now is quite good), it seems like a waste of money. I've been organizing my comics to take to the show this weekend and 98% of everything I've purchased off the stands is going into a $1 box.

I also like having a "pull list" at the LCS and getting to go in every Wednesday... yadda yadda... but it definitely seems like I can pickup almost all new books in a discount bin or off ebay for much cheaper than cover price if I just wait a little while.

I guess it's like buying a new car... definitely throwing money away.

But then I also worry about the state of the industry. There's something about handing over my money to comic book companies that I like... if I don't, eventually they're going to stop making comics...

Such a difficult thing to think about! grrrr...

Y the last man....that guy get laid yet???? Stopped reading it around issue 35 or so.

lol I started reading this book and thought it was very well done. Then I just got really bored with the whole idea.

Andy

I don't buy new from the comic shops, however I've found that new comics are usually available for a dollar or fifty cents a piece a month or so after release. I worked a comic show last weekend and people couldn't get enough modern stuff for a buck a pop.

I know I've said this before, but let me beat this dead horse: new comics sell readily at one dollar, they sell slowly at three dollars. If comic companies lowered their cover prices they would INCREASE their profits. I would personally spend about $100 per month as opposed to zero if new comics were one dollar.

There is currently a delciate equilibrium between the $3-5 cover price and the super-fan so addicted to comics that they can't wait a month to dig these books out of the bargain bin for fifty cents or a dollar. When this equilibrium breaks (3 to 5 years?) it could end new comic sales as we know them. (I don't think the comic companies care though; they make way more selling toys, movies, television, t-shirts, ets.)