• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's 10/31 Already

22 posts in this topic

CGC Board member "SHIVERBONES" a/k/a MATTHEW KIRSCHT recentely released a book of his art(still available HERE as well as a preview of the book). He offered to board members that bought the limited signed/numbered edition to include a sketch . Well I got mine today along with my copy of the book (#13 :devil: of 25).

I love his art style and am curious what other board members pics look like.

share them here

44775-kirscht_plate01.jpg.c9c9a725f2e121de2ba4d5380ccd2a92.jpg

lol hopefully everyone will be happy with theirs now that they can compare & contrast.... :o

I think I may have written virue on one of them.... :kidaround:

hm hm didn't think of that. Hope the folks that get the stick figures don't get upset. Just say they are part of the kooky cast of characters in your menagerie.

I'm very happy with my sketch and glad I had the good virue to wait paiently :grin:

lol

All the sketches have the same amount of work really My mood during the given day would have been different, and so some will look different then others, but I wouldn't send out a piece of crapp, so I am sure it will be fine.

Thanks for the 3 figure sketch with the extra backgrounds. Looks great!

I think the book is great. I like the smaller size and the production is very nice. Just noticed the cloth(?) cover. So just aesthetically the whole package is very nice.

On the contents: I think it is a nice mix of the different mediums you use. The one image per page worked well. More than one image per page and the images started to get a little small, and some detail lost. But there were only a couple pages like that. Since this is "Volume 1" I hope there are plans for more volumes in the future. The eBay auction pics reproduced very nicely for this book. I've already got plans to buy a regular copy for each of my 2 kids.

not even 2cents worth,

Mike

My book arrived a few days ago and it's really nice! A scan of my sketch is attached and should be shown below (#8 of 25 :devil:). I was really surprised (in a good way) by the quality of the full-inked sketch. I was expecting a looser pencil sketch

Overall impressions of the book: the material is top-notch as expected. Nobody draws crazy pumpkin men or black cats quite like Mr. Hirsch, and both are well represented in these pages. The dustjacket features a nice image that gives a great feeling for the twisted whimsy present within. I enjoyed how pieces created in different mediums were interspersed, which gave the book a nice flow and kept things fresh. I'm very new to this "art collector" thing, so the section describing materials used on each piece at the end of the book was quite useful. Stating the owner of each piece was a classy touch.

Really Minor quibbles: it would be nice to have had some sort of dye-pressed logo on the cover of the book and/or some simple text on the spine. I don't know if your printer gave that option or if it was cost-prohibitive for your print run. Really a minor thing, especially with the excellent dustjacket.

Minor quibbles: the white text printing is a bit uneven on my copy. Some letters are only outlined at the top and bottom, and are filed in in the middle. It's a minor annoyance but does take away a bit from the professional presentation of the images. While the printing on most of the images is simply fantastic, there are a few that appear somewhat "soft". The black and white line drawings on pages 30-31 have a faint amount of pixellation when you look up close. Also, some of the darker acrylic on canvas pieces appear a bit too dark for my tastes. While they show off the texture of the paintings really well, something was lost in the reproduction. You may be able to get better reproduction in the future with higher res scans or possibly a different printer. Were you able to

Overall, minor production issues aside, this is a great book! I loved the mixture of whimsical pieces with those that were a bit more serious. My wife, who usually isn't into the art stuff I bring home, really enjoyed looking through the book too. She especially liked how you used different vegetables for different parts of the body for some of the pumpkin monsters. Or, as she put it, your "fall harvest monster!" We both really liked the party invitations and found it really clever to use original art for that purpose. I'm a big fan of the horror pieces, but she found them "too scary" for her tastes - which is a good sign cause it shows your range :)

Well, Matt, you said you wanted more than "it's great" so there ya go. :insane:

-Bob

44871-Kirscht-CGC-Sketch-8.jpg.01cf9f188c7580d37f1a2ac275bb3ad3.jpg

Got my book today and I love it. For those that haven't received it yet you are in for a nice treat. I'm going to show it off at my annual Halloween party.

Comments for Matthew since he is asking for them:

1) Two of my favorite postcards are on page 67 and they share the same page. I wish those were on a page by themselves so I could see all the detail.

2) Love the postcard detail in the back which tells you the medium used and date created.

3) Dust jacket is very nice but would I would like a stamp or die struck on the cover/spine.

Overall it is very well done and I will be buying an extra as a prize for my party this year.

Here is my sketch and I love it. WELL DONE MATTHEW!!!!

MatthewKirschtsketch.jpg

thanks for the comments guys! I too wish I could have some sort of foil stamping on the book, but that was not offered. I do think the nice dustjacket helps make up for that, but it would have been a nice touch.

I noticed the printing was a bit spotty on the second batch of books I received, so some do have an issue with a bit of "Drag" of the black ink into the white spaces, Which I was not thrilled about. The third batch seemed to rectify that, so hopefully it was just a fluke. It's hard when it leaves your hand and you are at the mercy of the printers. Blurb has been very good wih me & they made contractual agreements with me to use the book as an example of what they can do, so I do think they are trying their best with me.

As for the two paintings pointed out on page 67, I love those two as well, but could not get in touch with the owners for a better scan, so the best I could do was at that size. To meet the minimum requirement for printing without blurriness, they couldn't be full size pieces. Maybe by volume two I can track down the owners & get that fixed. When my computer crashed, I lost a lot of the hi-res scans, and relied on rescanning the originals in many cases.

My general opinion is the overall whole loks really nice, with a few glitches, which I guess is to be expected. I really appreciate your comments, thanks for taking the time to tell me! (thumbs u the last thing in the world I want is for someone to feel ripped off.

One last note, there is a printing defect on the page numbering around page 7 or 8, and a typo on a name in the acknowledgements, so that will be fixed for further printings. Anyone with a book with those typos will have one of 50 copies before the correction.

I know I posted elsewhere that I liked the book(I still haven't had a chance to sit down and really pour over it-this weekend hopefully!) and I wanted to share the sketches that came with the two copies I ordered. I'm sending one off to a Halloween collector friend who I know will thoroughly enjoy this!

Thanks again!

sketches.jpg

lol

All the sketches have the same amount of work really My mood during the given day would have been different, and so some will look different then others, but I wouldn't send out a piece of crapp, so I am sure it will be fine.

Thanks for the 3 figure sketch with the extra backgrounds. Looks great!

Prove it!

Hopefully, I'll post my sketch when I get back home this weekend. :wishluck: