• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink auction starts tomorrow...what are you going after?

293 posts in this topic

Josh runs a consignment site. Even if I did disagree with some of his business practices, I wouldn't deprive his consigners of my bids just so Josh couldn't collect his 10%. Gator needs to keep his kids hip-deep in happy meals.

Some is consignment, some is CL's own inventory. How do you know what is what?

Why would I care? I've bought many books on CL. I've sold many books on CL. Never had a problem with Josh or anyone who works for him.

I've bought many books on CL. I've sold many books on CL. Never had a problem with Josh or anyone who works for him.

I am glad to hear that your experiences with CLink have been positive Jeff, but mine aren't. Poor customer service and lack of disclosure means that I probably won't be bidding as I just don't feel like rolling the dice with them any more.

Esquire has reasons for his stance, and I respect them.

I don't understand why NOD was even mentioned in the context of this thread (shrug)

And I am definitely not a peach. An apple perhaps.

To Greed Merchants, I'm referred to as their "Huckleberry".

STEVE

Josh runs a consignment site. Even if I did disagree with some of his business practices, I wouldn't deprive his consigners of my bids just so Josh couldn't collect his 10%. Gator needs to keep his kids hip-deep in happy meals.

Why would I care? I've bought many books on CL. I've sold many books on CL. Never had a problem with Josh or anyone who works for him.

Well that is good enough for me then Jeff. I'll buy the whole auction lot!!! :banana:

Obviously we should just accept that you've have great experiences with CL so that must neutralize those of us who have had negative personal experiences. Is that what you're actually saying? Your views count more than ours? (shrug)

Now, before you jump all over that as you normally do with things I say, your views are extremely important - to you, as well they should be. You should exercise your own judgments to determine who you should buy from or sell to, or sell through.

But your views are no more important than mine, I daresay (heresy to be sure in your mind!!!!), to any third party who inhabit these boards (except Richard and Billy who will of course take your side no matter what ;) ).

Everyone else can take into account those views that recount positive experiences and those that discuss negative experiences and decide for themselves which course of action to take.

I've bought many books on CL. I've sold many books on CL. Never had a problem with Josh or anyone who works for him.

I am glad to hear that your experiences with CLink have been positive Jeff, but mine aren't. Poor customer service and lack of disclosure means that I probably won't be bidding as I just don't feel like rolling the dice with them any more.

I don't understand why NOD was even mentioned in the context of this thread (shrug)

STEVE

What is so sad about how Jeff, Billy and Richard, in particular, have reacted is that my view with respect to CL is not even about a lack of disclosure, which is certainly part of his business practice. So be it. If I wanted to know the background of a particular book he had for sale, I would simply ask Josh to find out. I would like to think he would be truthful to me. I do the same with Heritage.

Nor does lack of disclosure have anything to do with why I do not consign books to his site. If I wanted, as far as I recall, I could include text in his auction disclosing any manipulation to the book I was selling.

The issues are, as I mentioned above in citing one of them specifically, completely independent and based on personal knowledge.

Well that is good enough for me then Jeff. I'll buy the whole auction lot!!! :banana:

Obviously we should just accept that you've have great experiences with CL so that must neutralize those of us who have had negative personal experiences. Is that what you're actually saying? Your views count more than ours? (shrug)

Now, before you jump all over that as you normally do with things I say, your views are extremely important - to you, as well they should be. You should exercise your own judgments to determine who you should buy from or sell to, or sell through.

But your views are no more important than mine, I daresay (heresy to be sure in your mind!!!!), to any third party who inhabit these boards (except Richard and Billy who will of course take your side no matter what ;) ).

Everyone else can take into account those views that recount positive experiences and those that discuss negative experiences and decide for themselves which course of action to take.

I've never said your views are less important than mine. My point was about your posting style, not the validity of your personal feelings about CL. You have a habit of making vague accusations, providing just enough info to ignite controversy.

STEVE

What is so sad about how Jeff, Billy and Richard, in particular, have reacted is that my view with respect to CL is not even about a lack of disclosure, which is certainly part of his business practice. So be it. If I wanted to know the background of a particular book he had for sale, I would simply ask Josh to find out. I would like to think he would be truthful to me. I do the same with Heritage.

Nor does lack of disclosure have anything to do with why I do not consign books to his site. If I wanted, as far as I recall, I could include text in his auction disclosing any manipulation to the book I was selling.

The issues are, as I mentioned above in citing one of them specifically, completely independent and based on personal knowledge.

When did I imply, or state, that your opinions have anything to do with disclosure?

STEVE

When did I imply, or state, that your opinions have anything to do with disclosure?

I retract any implication associated with you on that note then.

I've never said your views are less important than mine. My point was about your posting style, not the validity of your personal feelings about CL. You have a habit of making vague accusations, providing just enough info to ignite controversy.

For one thing, I wasn't trying to turn this into a pro vs con CL thread. I made a very simple statement. Anyone who wanted additional information could easily and very simply either PM'd me, e-mailed me or called me. Instead, you set forth your attacks as is customary of your style with respect to things I write. So be it.

I responded to your accusation that I was being vague with a very specific reason underlying my stated position.

So would you like to now apologize or retract your accusation with respect to this thread, or is that apparently only expected to be one way from me when it concerns you? :popcorn:

Guys, no offense, but can you either tone down or take the contest to General? I come here to get away from all that nonsense, and I'm sure others do as well. Allegations, mischaracterizations, and downright fabrications all go that-a-way to Comics General -------------------->

Respectfully,

Jive :foryou:

Jeff, you were the one who seemed to be saying that because CL's offerings are from consignors, then CL had no obligations. I was simply pointing out that not all of the offerings are from consignors, which therefore begged the question whether you think CL also has no obligations with respect to its own inventory.

Actually, I probably know what your answer would be already, but I wanted to remind people that it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

For one thing, I wasn't trying to turn this into a pro vs con CL thread. I made a very simple statement. Anyone who wanted additional information could easily and very simply either PM'd me, e-mailed me or called me. Instead, you set forth your attacks as is customary of your style with respect to things I write. So be it.

I responded to your accusation that I was being vague with a very specific reason underlying my stated position.

So would you like to now apologize or retract your accusation with respect to this thread, or is that apparently only expected to be one way from me when it concerns you? :popcorn:

What would I be retracting or apologizing for? You chide me for "jumping all over everything you say", but if I hadn't, you wouldn't have provided a specific example. Look back at our past discussions on the boards. I don't give you a hard time for your opinions, I give you a hard time for igniting controversy with hit-and-run statements backed up with very little explanation, and often no ammunition(my favorite example, the "Where is Chris Friessen?" thread).

Jeff, you were the one who seemed to be saying that because CL's offerings are from consignors, then CL had no obligations. I was simply pointing out that not all of the offerings are from consignors, which therefore begged the question whether you think CL also has no obligations with respect to its own inventory.

Actually, I probably know what your answer would be already, but I wanted to remind people that it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

I wasn't implying that CL has no obligations. My point was simply that I wouldn't refrain from bidding on CL's auctions if I had a grudge against Josh, because that action harms his consigners as much, if not more, than him. This current auction is a perfect example. I'm interested in a couple of books that happen to be consigned by Gator. I'm not going to deny Gator the 90% of my potential bid just to deny Josh his 10%.

Guys, no offense, but can you either tone down or take the contest to General? I come here to get away from all that nonsense, and I'm sure others do as well. Allegations, mischaracterizations, and downright fabrications all go that-a-way to Comics General -------------------->

Respectfully,

Jive :foryou:

I said the same thing 2 pages ago.

I always approach the auction process with relatively low expectations. When I Deal with the bigger auction sites (Heritage, CL, Hakes, Mastro,etc) I am only relatively confident that I will receive the slab in the assigned grade.

1)Is there any transparency in the bidding?

2)Do the houses review the books looking for possible purchases and resubs?

3)Do they press some of their own books?

4)Would they disclose any info about the books if the knew anything not posted on the label?

5)does the house ever know my maximum bid?

My attitude is that I'll never determine the answers to the questions so I simply look at the scans and play the game the best I can. I can call for the notes and gague a price I'll pay for the book. Before I place a bid I always ask myself if I would be happy living with my purchase at the price I paid. If the answer is yes, then I am happy when the book arrives.

Some houses have better cunstomer services than others so that can be a plus. In the end, I'm looking for a book I wish to obtain at a price I can live with. All those listed above can do the job.

My thoughts on this thread. Mark Zaid made a short comment about not doing business with CL and three board members... whom I like.... went after him in a less than kind manner and things escalated. Had he not been gone at in that way, I think that would have been his only comment..... and of course he has a right to his opinion. I don't care what the history of all this is...three against one looks bad.Sorry. Just my take on it.......please don't yell at me.