• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So...what's a "reasonable" multiple for a Mile High copy?

29 posts in this topic

I know this is a question where the book itself means everything, but I was curious as to what type of multiples some of you good folks have paid for the Mile High copy of a particular book.

The issue I'm contemplating is already the highest graded copy (naturally) with only one 9.0 behind it in the Census (that book sold for well over guide a few years ago). Though its priced at a four times 9.2 Guide Multiple, considering its a 9.4 (which generally sell for double guide anyway), its more like a x2 multiple for the pedigree designation.

So, is there any hard and fast rule of thumb for multiples when buying Mile Highs?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I think the 4x guide has been pretty well used, and maybe even accepted as the norm...as you mention, specific issues and qualities can cause for the guide and "reasonable" multiples to be thrown out the window, but as a general rule, that is what I have seen

gator

4x is probably a good average, but it really depends on the title and book. And it also depends on how behind or ahead of the times Overstreet is on the value of a particular book. There's some books that are way undervalued in the guide that the Church copy could probably fetch 10x.

Totally depends on the book. I`ve managed to pick up some non-mainstream Mile Highs in 9.6 for 3X Guide or less, while I`ve seen plenty of MHs in varying grades go for much bigger multiples.

I'm with Tim. Multiple can go from 2x - 10x.

Totally depends on the book. I`ve managed to pick up some non-mainstream Mile Highs in 9.6 for 3X Guide or less, while I`ve seen plenty of MHs in varying grades go for much bigger multiples.

I'm with Tim. Multiple can go from 2x - 10x.

Yup and if its a mainstream book with a cool cover and I was the seller you would have to think that the demand for the book is going to be tremendous. Throw out guide for the most part.

My rule of thumb is 2 to 3 times what a non pedigree in the same grade would sell for.

For example a 9.2 Nedor Schomburg cover may sell for 1.5 guide so I would think a MH would sell at 3 to 4.5 guide. The multiple if inversely effected by price. The higher the guide value, the smaller the multiple.

I would have agreed in the past and this will probably start a riot, but since finding out a lot of pedigree issues out there are being pressed and have light resto I'd rather have an issue from a regular collection that hasn't been messed with. 2c

So I'm still going to pay at least 2X guide for a Church book even though it's an obscure title in say 7.0-8.0?

Probably 2X condition guide, yeah. That seems to be the going rate.

But Church books have something about them (paper quality, ink reflectivity, eye appeal) that is twice as cool as other books.

So I'm still going to pay at least 2X guide for a Church book even though it's an obscure title in say 7.0-8.0?

Quite possibly, as you're still getting gorgeous, supple pages, and a cover with blinding ink reflectivity.

Probably 2X condition guide, yeah. That seems to be the going rate.

But Church books have something about them (paper quality, ink reflectivity, eye appeal) that is twice as cool as other books.

! I guess to get a Church book in my collection that I can afford I'm going to have to buy something like JIMMY WAKELY #8...