• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Will Soon Be One of You....

36 posts in this topic

Yeah!!!

I am returning to the ranks of collector/readers after being a part-time dealer for the better part of 4+ years. It is strangely refreshing and invigorating.

As many of you know there is a lot of corruption, deceipt, and flat out unethical practice in our beloved hobby, much more than I would have ever dreamed prior to getting into the business side of things... My outspoken nature has caused a stir locally in regards to certain things I've gone public about (not necessarily all matters of corruption, etc...). I do not regret any of it, but there might have been a better way of saying some it though.

Anyways, all this is somewhat besides the point.

The point is I've decided to become one of you, as I am beginning to blow out most of my inventory, keeping only the books of interest to me and some investment pieces. I'm simply tired of the unethical behavior out there and all of the work required to make a few bucks as a dealer - it by far the most-demanding job I have ever had. Time to focus on my career and supplement my income by freelancing myself instead of lugging comics all over the place and back!

I look forward to fully integrating myself amongst you all - until now I've kept a relative distance as my interests were mostly focused on selling and I didn't want to find myself in a conflict of interest.

Has anyone else quit dealing because of similar reasons and returned to reading/collecting instead?

I will continue to hunt down interesting collections, then keep what I want and dispose/donate/recycle/burn/draw/sell of the unwanted books. Speaking of which, it's time to find somehwere on these boards to advertise my books for sale.

It'll be nice to have some extra cash in the bank and no more boxes clogging up the basement once this is done with. :headbang:

Just scroll down to Comics Market - Forum Only Selling and list your books. Read the protocol first about the minimum information you should include.

Post scans thru www.photobucket.com.

Good Luck!

Cool - thanks. I'm aware of that, but I was wondering if I could post something in regards to "huge amounts for sale" somewhere. I cannot scan 15,000+ books. :o

If not here I'll do it elsewhere.

Cheers!

I will continue to hunt down interesting collections, then keep what I want and flip/wholesale to others.

So you'll still be a "part time dealer", but you just want to let everybody know that you're no longer a "part time dealer"?

There certainly are scumbag dealers out there, but I don't see any reason why that should influence your decision to no longer deal in comics (although as Donut pointed out, you still plan to do). If you aren't one of them, I don't see what the problem is. It's actually an opportunity to distinguish yourself as a reliable, trustworthy seller.

Now, the fact that it is often a ton of work for relatively little reward certainly is a good reason to not rely on dealing comics part time as a source of income. Unless you have the ability to turn lower priced books very quickly and in quantity, one needs to also deal in bigger books at a good profit margin to really make it pay off.

There certainly are scumbag dealers out there, but I don't see any reason why that should influence your decision to no longer deal in comics (although as Donut pointed out, you still plan to do). If you aren't one of them, I don't see what the problem is. It's actually an opportunity to distinguish yourself as a reliable, trustworthy seller.

Now, the fact that it is often a ton of work for relatively little reward certainly is a good reason to not rely on dealing comics part time as a source of income. Unless you have the ability to turn lower priced books very quickly and in quantity, one needs to also deal in bigger books at a good profit margin to really make it pay off.

Well, according to DONUT, we're all dealers then since we all sell the books we no longer want whether here, on Ebay, or to local dealers.

I no longer want to be a "dealer", but I might have to purchase a collection to get some books of interest. I'm not going to let more books pile up, so I'll simply get "rid of them".

Call me a "part-time, part-time, dealer" then if need be, but a "true" dealer I will no longer be once I've gotten rid of the "undesirable" books. Does selling your old car make you a car dealer? I don't think so.

I always appreciate DONUT's input and opinion, but this time, with all due respect, he is incorrect in his assessment of my continued status as a "dealer" just because I might sell the odd lot down the road. "Dealer" is such a dirty word anyways! lol

Well, according to DONUT, we're all dealers then since we all sell the books we no longer want whether here, on Ebay, or to local dealers.

I no longer want to be a "dealer", but I might have to purchase a collection to get some books of interest. I'm not going to let more books pile up, so I'll simply get "rid of them".

Call me a "part-time, part-time, dealer" then if need be, but a "true" dealer I will no longer be once I've gotten rid of the "undesirable" books. Does selling your old car make you a car dealer? I don't think so.

I always appreciate DONUT's input and opinion, but this time, with all due respect, he is incorrect in his assessment of my continued status as a "dealer" just because I might sell the odd lot down the road. "Dealer" is such a dirty word anyways! lol

I think you use too much starch in your laundry. surrender.gif

No Donuts pretty much nailed it, we are all part time dealers here on some level. If we only sold one comic once like a used car then your analogy might be correct.

I imagine we all have Ebay accounts, buy ,sell and trade comics to further our collection. It is fine for you to want to distance yourself from the aspect of the hobby that you dislike or disagree, disapprove of. But if you are buying assorted comics, or collections and with the intent of flipping parts of them, then you sir are a part time dealer just like the rest of us.

And it is only a dirty word if you want it to be, lots of good dealers out there.

:foryou:

"Scumbags", huh? Fortunately, I haven't had the displeasure of dealing with scumbags.

Without going into details, my displeasure with ethics was simply the last push to drive me out of it and return to my roots and new areas - I've discovered so much in the world of comics during my time selling, and for that I am extremely grateful! Promise not to laugh, but I was one of those folks who would say:"Who's Neal Adams?" 5 years ago. doh! Even worse - I didn't even know what grading was, nor what the different comic book eras were. (shrug)

In other words, I was one of those who could easily be duped into overpaying for a book, and lord knows I sure did - OFTEN in retrospect. :pullhair:

"Scumbags", huh? Fortunately, I haven't had the displeasure of dealing with scumbags.

Without going into details, my displeasure with ethics was simply the last push to drive me out of it and return to my roots and new areas - I've discovered so much in the world of comics during my time selling, and for that I am extremely grateful! Promise not to laugh, but I was one of those folks who would say:"Who's Neal Adams?" 5 years ago. doh! Even worse - I didn't even know what grading was, nor what the different comic book eras were. (shrug)

In other words, I was one of those who could easily be duped into overpaying for a book, and lord knows I sure did - OFTEN in retrospect. :pullhair:

That happens to everyone at some point.

And it is only a dirty word if you want it to be, lots of good dealers out there.

:foryou:

I certainly know that - and they are the oens I will buy from. I just always felt funny saying I was a "dealer" in public in non-comic book environments because strangers often turned their heads and lloked at me like I was doing something illegal. :o Especially when I lived in an area full of crack houses...

No offense meant :jokealert: .

No worries, I think we all had a maturation process when entering the hobby. I know I did, still learning too. Thats the best part of this place, always something new to learn here even when you were not exptecting to.

Have fun and good luck. We shall call you, "part time comic retailer", instead of dealer.

(:

Ze-

No Donuts pretty much nailed it, we are all part time dealers here on some level. If we only sold one comic once like a used car then your analogy might be correct.

I imagine we all have Ebay accounts, buy ,sell and trade comics to further our collection....... But if you are buying assorted comics, or collections and with the intent of flipping parts of them, then you sir are a part time dealer just like the rest of us.

The INTENT is not to flip, but if I see a cannot miss deal because it includes a bunch of books I want, I will buy them and quickly dispose of the rest, even if it means donating them to get a tax receipt.

By the way, has anyone done that before with comics? I did that with 1990s sports cards and got much more that way than I ever would have selling them... I gave some Valiant comics to local church (without asking for anything in return) a few years ago.

Anyways, no need to debate the definition of a dealer any further - the point is I am NO longer going to be what I consider to be a dealer, which is what matters to me.

I guess we should rename this "The Dealers Society" then.... :jokealert: before the flaming starts.

Who's Neal Adams? (shrug)